Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel the world

• 06-11-2001 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭

Well, my time in Gateway draws ever closer, the tech department gets outsourced at the end of this month and i get a fat redundancy cheque.

I am at a stage of my life where i'm thinking that this is probably the best opportunity i will have to see the world and travel.

Basically my redundancy is about a years salary and would like to use the time this offers to do something that i've always wanted, for me.

That means to me, seeing the world, which leads to the work related question.

I want to travel, but not in a tourist way,i want to work and live in other cultures, have always been fascinated by the far east cultures.

So no doubt my pc skills would be valuable to someone, but will have to speek the lingo. What language is probably the best to have in the IT sector after English, in the far east, Cantonese, Mandarin?

What do you reckon is a good language to pick up before venturing out?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Mate, I have been travelling for about 11 months now and let me tell you that having PC skills has been a godsend. The IT market is in a bit of a slump all over the world but more so in the southern hemisphere. But having said that if you are will ing to put in the effort you will get good jobs.

Singapore and HongKong are supposed to good places to get IT contracts although a lot of these are based around hardware maintenance. I met a guy over here who worked in Hongkong for the last 5 years as a hardware engineer in the Airport. He was coming out with about a grand a week sterling and his accommodation was paid and all transport as well!!!!! He loved it. I met him while he was on HOLIDAY in Australia....... He could not speak a work of Cantonese or mandarin before he arrived in China but he had picked it up since starting work there. He got the job through a company in the UK. Apparently there is an international recruitment paper(you can get it in Easons) which list these companies.

My advise is if you have some money start travelling it's has been the best decision I have ever made. For one thing I know I will never want to work for anyone like Gateway ever again.

If you get the chance try and get to Australia, the IT market is picking up over here again and it's so cheap to live. I currently make $30ph which is about 15 pound ph, I pay the equivalent of about 25 quid per week for rent in an amazing apartment in a really posh area of Sydney. Life is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by stu_69
    Mate, I have been travelling for about 11 months now and let me tell you that having PC skills has been a godsend. The IT market is in a bit of a slump all over the world but more so in the southern hemisphere. But having said that if you are will ing to put in the effort you will get good jobs.

Singapore and HongKong are supposed to good places to get IT contracts although a lot of these are based around hardware maintenance. I met a guy over here who worked in Hongkong for the last 5 years as a hardware engineer in the Airport. He was coming out with about a grand a week sterling and his accommodation was paid and all transport as well!!!!! He loved it. I met him while he was on HOLIDAY in Australia....... He could not speak a work of Cantonese or mandarin before he arrived in China but he had picked it up since starting work there. He got the job through a company in the UK. Apparently there is an international recruitment paper(you can get it in Easons) which list these companies.

My advise is if you have some money start travelling it's has been the best decision I have ever made. For one thing I know I will never want to work for anyone like Gateway ever again.

If you get the chance try and get to Australia, the IT market is picking up over here again and it's so cheap to live. I currently make $30ph which is about 15 pound ph, I pay the equivalent of about 25 quid per week for rent in an amazing apartment in a really posh area of Sydney. Life is good

and you want to ruin it all by moving to lodon!
    oh stu, i'll look at your cv today i promise!!!!

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

and you want to ruin it all by moving to lodon!
    oh stu, i'll look at your cv today i promise!!!!

Don't have a choice dude, I have to leave Australia in Jan and I don't want to go back to Dublin!!! Anyway I thought you liked the UK???

Post some uk job websites so I can have a look round see whats available out there.

Cheers

actually I have just checked a couple of other posts and found some UK jobsites.

**Idea** Mabye you could put one of those sticky things with a list of Irish and UK Job websites at the top of the forum**End Idea**

I wish I knew Unix:( :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

good idea.
    i did originally have them in the announcements bu they all got wiped for some reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement