Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocked athlons

• 21-05-2000 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

has anyone had any experience with these processors (the AMD modified ones)?

I'm just concerned about the amount of heat it will generate (c.750 @ 900mhz) along with a geforce and a few other devices.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I do, I'm running my Athlon 550 @ 750 at 1.75v core.
    It’s running grand with my Ge-force. There is a good bit of heat coming of both of them. At home all I need is the side of the case off and the duel fan heatsink, at a LAN if I want the case on I need to turn on the 120mm front fan and then the fan that blows air on to the heatsink from the side of the case. If your Athlon is a .18au it will run a lot cooler than mine (.23au) as you will need less Volts going to the core. If the Ge-Force is O/C as well it will really heat up the system temp. Try having a backplate fan in the PCI slot underneath it to take some of the heat from the mem and core on the bottom of the card, away and out of the system. On the top of the card some people make small heat sinks and put them on the top mem and put a fan blowing on to them. Just remember the two main thing's about O/C is power and heat. Once you get the right power setting for your comp you'll need to get rid of the heat. That’s where airflow comes into it. Have a strong in-take fan or two and a few out-take fans. One very important thing to remember about Athlons is that they use more wats than a Intel chip, so if your going to use a Ge-Force in a Athlon system O/C or not it will need a 300w power supply to keep it stable. Some people even go as far as to put a second power supply in (220w or so) to power the fans and drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

also in my day if you wanted to overclock your Athlon you had to do it your self smile.gif
    I used a GD to do so http://www.k7oc.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

nah its one of AMD's modified ones (www.overclockers.co.uk), 900 mhz straight out of the box as long as youve got everything set up right beforehand smile.gif

As for keeping everything on ice, I think this should do the job:

coolercase_tornado.jpg

Advertisement