Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wake Up Call!

• 07-11-2001 1:29pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok - Im noticing a drastic decrease in posting on this board since the Galway LAN - You lot still recovering!?

Come on guys, this place was thumping the last few weeks and it's going down again...

First off we managed to get quite a good bit of mapping done at the LAN and it was interesting to see the many different maps and mapping styles... I'd like to start some sort of jointure between a few mappers to create some form of HL / CS / TFC map project, maybe a real life location, or just a group attempt at maps for a future mod...

Anyone interested in participating!?

Oh, and also, im not sure how the mapping community is getting along... Have we decided on a site!?

Come on guys, let's have your suggestions, idea's and pants please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

OMG all that Gaming beer and sex going on at that lan (well 2 outta 3 ain't bad) and you guys were sat mapping on your own?

FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

my mapping time has been reduced to two things this week..

my STUDY [crie] has increased to 3 hrs daily, not home til 7.30 pm each day :(

I have discovered a rather 1337 game called championsip manager...which is now going to take up hours of my time each day, the only time i'll get to map will be weekends, but i've a few nice city maps created and nearly finished for a new mod Immediate Action CLICK HERE **

well,

thats ab0ot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

3 a day u lucky bast@rd . i had to do 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Er, the IMC, yeah, it's all still here, hoping to get the thing finished and put up so we can actually get going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

i'll do it! Got lots of time on my hands. Plus i'm nearly finished my latest map...

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Great, so we have "Someone" who managed to answer my last question...

Im not sure when we should start a group project, but if anyone wants to go ahead with it, feel free! Im sure others will follow your tracks and contribute to a mapping project with whatever they have the time to do... Textures, prefabs, whole maps etc...

It'll be a while before I get my computer back and start mapping again, but either way I want to team up with a few people to create something for the community and the website...

I'll ask again, have we got an official Irish Mapping Website!?

IMC site will be up soon. I have the weekend free so I'll get the rest of it finished today/tomorrow.

Promise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Ill stick some mapping stuff up on quake.ie if ye think it would be a good idea. I am now an admin of quake.ie, so if there mapping news or anything important to do with mapping or mapping competitions ill stick some news up about it on quake.ie or in a column or something.

Tell me what you think.

Maybe email me some stuff coz I forget to check this board pretty often (DOH!)
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

i got mindphuc to let me use
    www.fortress.ie/mappers
    i have the user/pass

Just finished all the databasey stuff for the IMC site, one little design problem to be nailed and then it's finished.

Tables, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Great, things are in motion again!

Ok here's a list of things that would go down well on the site...

+Links (Obviously) - I think people should (Right now) list as many useful links as they can muster, and we'll put the majority of them up with the basic links such as www.counter-strike.net etc

+Custom Maps (Obviously) - It is a mapping site, so I think completed custom maps and future idea's / pics of future maps should be uploaded "Constantly" - We don't want news being submitted to the site and being left there for weeks before any new news comes along - We want a steady flow of info going in... Whoever the head of the webby is going to be, he/she must improvise and keep submitting stuff... After all, the main idea is to hold onto everyones interest...

+Map Reviews (Not so obviously) - We should download other peoples maps and give our own personal feelings / thoughts about them onto the site, aswell as nabbing maps off the other custom maps forums alike... If this happens we need to pick some "Head Reviewers", rather than submit everyones view because that just crowds the page and no one will read page apon page of "I think this map is cool 5/5 wan ta thx pld!" - So three maybe four head viewers and the ability for everyone to submit small comments... Just a suggestion...

+Downloadables (Obviously) - Mainly other maps and textures here, both custom and official...

+Help / FAQ's / Q&A (Not so Obviously) - Of course we want people new to mapping to visit the site and want to hold their interest if they do, so we'll need lots of tip guides, and various other things to help all the new kids on the block reach mapping fame!!!!!! Or something like that...

+Mod Reviews and Mod Related stuff (Definately not obviously) - tricky one this... I think we should leave this out for a while unless people plan to create their own mod's anytime soon...

+Forums (Tricky) - If we could get one, maybe we should... Although it seems this forum is ok! Your view!?

And anything else we can think of...
    Im not going to mention it anymore until we at least have a template up and running... Big thanks to all that are helping out with the site etc etc - Keep up the good work!

This forum is good, I'm sure people don't want to be between two forums, two different accounts. Besides, this will bring a little bit of traffic to boards.ie. I certainly couldn't do a better job of forums than cloud and co, so the IMC forum should be, in my opinion, game-editing on boards.ie.

Thoughts?

Right then, this forum shall be the official one for the Irish Mapping Community, although it's a "Game Editing" forum rather than just a mapping forum, but we can get through that with no bother...

And those links will come in very handy DrAkE, thanks.
    Once the site's up we should start thinking about who runs it, or runs certain parts of it, and who is to be a head reviewer (We do need four and I would like it if we all agreed on people rather than everyone saying "I WANNA BE ONE!")

Keep up the good work people!

OK I have an idea for a map (Closest i'm gonna get to MAKING one atm)

I think Rope might like this cause it'll require goggles and flashlamps........

de_innerspace

It's based as the name suggests inside someone's body.
    In a futuristic attempt to assassinate the new word president terrorists have shrinked to microscopic size and have infiltrated his body through his early morning Keloggs. In a bid to stop them a band of CT's ahve also shrunk themselves and must prevent the T's from planting the bomb in his *insert body part here*

OK whadda ya think? OMG I spend soooooo much time on my damned PC I should REALLY do up a few maps for you lucky lucky people hehehehe.

Hehe iceman, er, that's definately original anyway! You'll need lots of squelchy sounds. Can you replace the footstep sound easily for a certain map? Doubt it, oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Im getting a new computar from Santa so i'll have a proper machine for mapping. :D

You'll hear from me again!

Lovely stuff!

As I said it should include many forms of maps for many different games...

Out of curiosity, do any of you map for UT!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Crash&Burn

*cough* ask in the ut sectoin *cough* they need a few posters in there :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by phaxx
    Hehe iceman, er, that's definately original anyway! You'll need lots of squelchy sounds. Can you replace the footstep sound easily for a certain map? Doubt it, oh well.

Well no....what I was thinkin was to do corridors like the sewers in siege etc where you would have the water sounds as people walk through them cause there would be like a river of blood flowing through them....

Last thing I'd want is a midget running around inside my Larynx :o:D

Crash, I visited that board a few times and it's a ghost town in there... Maybe we should all pay a visit there, seeing as the UT mapping programme is pretty good, and we could make a few UT maps for the webby...!?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

ACK!

Apologies for the lack of activity on the forum on my part guys - been busy :) News on the IMC goes as follows - content is under heavy construction behind the scenes, more news as I get it...

Heh, don't take it to heart... Im not complaining... It's just I'd hate to see the board die again after we've just gotten the blood flowing...

We've got a possible mod underway (With which we all want to help participate in making), and we've got all sorts of "Game Editors" visiting, giving their insight...
    Before this no one ever spoke in here, so I refuse to let this board die...

Advertisement