Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jap GameCube Region Mods

Options
  • 07-11-2001 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Looks like modding Japanese GameCubes to play US games is indeed a piece of píss. Nothing to do with the lid switches mind - there are two little points on the board which, when connected, convert a Jap cube into a US cube. Menus appear in English, and more importantly, Rogue Leader boots up and plays. Which is nice.

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=13699137&replies=103

Now, assuming the Panasonic Q has the same board... I now *really* want one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fantastic. And Surprising. Didn't Nintendo boast a little while back how non-moddable the GC was going to be?

P.S. There doesn't seem to be a bridge (R5 appears to be already closed) to do the same to convert it to PAL, which is a bit of a downer to most people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Well thats a big relief. What menu's appear in English though? You're not saying that Japanese carts have English on them...it's just hidden. I suppose dialogue remains in Jap?

Its the GameCube menus for changing clock time, memory card settings etc I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Brendan - it's only to be expected that the PAL mod would be more difficult; after all, the PAL gamecube will have to have different video output hardware. Presumably the difference between the USA and Jap cubes is simply that this bridge is connected on US cubes and not on Jap ones - making it really easy to manufacture them on the same production line.

PAL cubes require custom video hardware, making it a whole lot more complex...

Of course, there's still the possibility that this is actually a dipswitch type arrangement. There are three terminals there... For a Jap cube, they're arranged 101, for a US cube, 111... It's plausible, if unlikely, that a European one is one of the other arrangements, like 110 or whatever.

Still. 130 quid for a Jap cube that plays US games at the flick of a switch, not to be sniffed at, even if you have to do something more complex to persuade it to play European games!

Kyro - it's the system menus I'm on about, not in-game stuff. In-game stuff stays exactly the same as previously and totally ignores the system region setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

yea i heard the panasonic q thing wont be released in the us
    that mean no europe aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

130 quid for a cube is a bargin, will it be out at the same price here ? and at what time ?

still not made me mind up on which system I want - love the panasonic mod Cube though - shame it appears they dont want to honour us in the west with one though :(

and what RPG's are lined up for the cube ?

all answers on back of a postcard please

130 quid for a cube is a bargin, will it be out at the same price here ? and at what time ?

It'll more than likely be around 200 euros when it launches over here, probably next spring. It costs slightly more to import one from anywhere I've seen, but its 3 months earlier, so who cares? :)
    and what RPG's are lined up for the cube ?

There's Eternal Darkness, Zelda and Phantasy Star Online. A few others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

200 Euros < 130 quid - so even bigger bargin

only 3 months to relase ? I think I can wait that long

not to keen on zelda (dont hang me)

but I did have a version of phantasy star for me master system and I really, really enjoyed that :)

if its online I assume that the Cube has built in modem

havnt saga started charging people to play PS on-line ?

200 Euros < 130 quid - so even bigger bargin

Woops, I meant 200 sterling :)
    Still, Nintendo haven't given any word on prices or dates, so its really anyone's guess for the moment.
    if its online I assume that the Cube has built in modem

havnt saga started charging people to play PS on-line

Well, the game is online (and 4 player split screen - its basically the DC version with extra features) but the GC doesn't ship with a modem - it does however have expansion ports underneath it for modems. Nintendo isn't really pushing online gaming as much as Microsoft and Sony are, and to the best of my knowledge, haven't announced when they'll be releasing a modem. Sega were apparantly talking to third party manufacturers regarding one, I believe.

Advertisement