Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something is coming and it'll blow you away!

Options
  • 07-11-2001 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Guys,

Extremely, extremely good news!!!! A well known cable company is going to be making an announcement on the 19th which will make the muppets at Eircom seem like mad crazy fools!

Looks like the service we have all been waiting for is coming and it took us all by surprise, even me... and I work for 'em....!

As for the pricing... You won't believe how cheap it will be. At last guys it's gonna happen... free music, faster online gaming, more por, er, well you know what I mean!

I'm so happy I could cry, in fact I am crying.

Here's to no more drop calls, half finished downloads and expensive call charges!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

This could be the best news I've heard all year or a very evil windup. I'm hoping for positive side. But a first post like this?

Can't take it the 19th is ages away - someone check Revolver IP & let us know if it comes from a telco. I don't want to know which one, just would like to believe that it might be genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Revolver

I am not the one you seek but just the messenger proclaiming his arrival!

It's not a wind up honest. Obviously I don't want to give my details away 'cos i'd lose my job, probably, but this is such good news I wanted to share it with you all.

19th November, put it in your diary (only if you live in West Dublin though... shortly after for the rest of ya!)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Revolver
    19th November, put it in your diary (only if you live in West Dublin though... shortly after for the rest of ya!)

Although this is at first glance as relevant to me as if it were on the moon, the more I think about it the better it gets. An affordable cablemodem service should put it up to Eircom, forcing their hand on ADSL. Once broadband in any form finally kicks off in this country, the other technologies (VSAT, wireless etc) should start following suit.

I live in hope...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skoobydoo_2000

I believe this is actually true and that the price is very keen & I too live in hope.

More importantly with foregin companies investing more and more in home working - it will make Ireland a more attractive place to look at , in reality you can not "home work" without Broadband.

As oscarBrave also correclty stated it will help other stuff along such as VoIP , Wireless etc etc.....

If all this is true then I think we are in for some fun from the 19th - hopefully is will spread from West Dublin quickly after that, Coz I'm a Northsider!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

/me checks his Nostrodamous texts for cryptic entries relating to 'cable' or 'cheap'.

I wont believe anything until I see proof.. Or as was said previously by some unknown character "Wheres the beef?" I'm not making any sense so I'll just go...

only in west dublin eh? thats usual.. probably wont see it in cork for another 5 years..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by rymus
    only in west dublin eh? thats usual.. probably wont see it in cork for another 5 years..

And another year before it reaches Limerick :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

and about 20 before we see it in letterkenny :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Please be true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

heh, i've run out of hope tho, i've been thinking where's my cable modem connection since 1998 .... there's been so much hope and so many let downs frankly I don't believe you until I see more information and until I see people getting the service installed. I'm a skeptic when it comes to lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

If your telling the truth YAY :)

If your a lying scum bag BOO >:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Okay,
    Not sounding like a complete skeptic or cynic but this is the kind of thing clever marketers for a company would do. Post positive messages like this for an unyet named service. Get a load of hype going etc.

Viral Marketing trick #6 I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

OK, West Dublin on the 19th?

Just a bit of food for thought:

West Dublin is all in NTL's franchise area (I think). So if its a cable modem service, it will definitely be provided by them (as nobody else is allowed provide service in NTL's patch). This is consistent - NTL have already upgraded most of west Dublin to what they call 2-way, so actually starting to sell the service would be pretty easy (They were selling it in parts of Tallaght, but stopped accepting new customers a few months ago, AFAIK)

Problem is that NTL haven't upgraded anywhere else yet, and as it stands are pretty unlikely to, as long as they don't have to - generating enough cash to stay afloat is their biggest worry right now - not huge infrastructure upgrades.

So for my money, if you live in west Dublin - great. Anyone else, forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

AFAIK, it's just specific parts of West Dublin that are upgraded (~30,000 homes). It could be that they're planning to use the built-in cablemodem in the set top box in some of the upgraded areas as part of the digital package. Whatever is planned will require the physical upgrading of the cable combined with the laying of fibre to the nodes.

The original plan to upgrade the whole of the city to two-way was to take three years. The actual progress was taking much longer and costing more than expected so they called a halt to the whole thing earlier this year (that and the dificulty of raising finance). So I would not hold my breath for cable internet from NTL anytime soon.

On a more cynical note, the date mentioned is just 3 days after the proposed blackout. It is possible that someone from a certain telco is just trying to distract us. Further details from "Revolver" would help alleviate this suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sounds too good to be true, west Dublin ehh?..my moneys on hudson806 hitting the mark there.

So will all existing well known cable provider customers in the Dublin area (specifically the city centre), have any hope of getting this in the next ..6 months..year?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

According to my own suspicions, based on what hudson has said and *cough* Revolver's IP address... I'd go with it being ntl: that he's on about too, and would be more than a little skeptical...

Still... we live in hope, eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm a cynic, call me suspicious but the thread was begun by someone posting for only the second time while the claim is "backed up" by a first-timer!

Hmmmm.....:confused:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aren't NTL the only cable supplier in Dublin...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

/me needs to see some proof, also, how can area's like Stillorgan have a hope in hell of getting this if it's only the westside of Dublin, Don't believe the hype!

Hell If I'm unlucky enough to be 130 odd metres too far from the exchange at priory to fail for an adsl testline and to subscribe to get it, I can safely say I will not raise a hope in hell for any sort of broadband in Ireland......this country is a land of make believe and bs with no broadband access. :(

Hurray if this eventually works properly, I will not hold my breath and I wouldn't hold yours either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

NTL is producing some impressive profits over here, I wonder .... hmmmmm

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=4544402

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Originally posted by mike65
    I'm a cynic, call me suspicious but the thread was begun by someone posting for only the second time while the claim is "backed up" by a first-timer!

Hmmmm.....:confused:

Mike.

I agree. We've heard it all before and even it has some grain of truth I'll bet it's 'core' west dublin and it'll take a year to get to Stillorgan and another year to get to Dalkey !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

My heart is shouting Joy Joy! but unfortunately it is being drowned out by my brain's screams of SPOOF! SPOOF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I spoke to NTL today about other TV stuff but did manage to slip in the big q....

Is cable modem internet available on Sandyford Road in Dundrum??
    "No not yet, we're in the process of upgr...."blahblah

So thats just to let anyone in the vicinity know.

But then i called a second time....
    On foot of them having this monster billboard up in the sandyford indus. estate saying "BROADBAND IS HERE in SANDYFORD INDUSTRIAL ESTATE call ntl @1800 924 220"

That number BTW is just thro' to some poor receptionist who had not got a clue wtf I was on about:(

Neway, this Big Suprise thats goin to blow us all away smells of NTL and we all know they are the biggest príck teasers in the telco biz:)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Regardless of all of this, one would think NTL should get the two-way network project going again anyway. Clearly, their broadband venture in the UK is working a treat...

NTL recruits 79,000 broadband customers

... and here they are in Dublin with a monopoly handed to them on a plate, plus the new colder relationship with BSkyB.. I mean, c'mon guys, get the finger out. As you say yourselves, broadband is the thing to invest in during the downturn..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

talking about ip look ups how do you do one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Wouldn't it be feasible for NTL to offer cable downlink (using the set top box they're flogging now) along with a telephone uplink, negating the need for an infrastructural upgrade?

Or am i missing something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

According to my own suspicions, based on what hudson has said and *cough* Revolver's IP address... I'd go with it being ntl: that he's on about too, and would be more than a little skeptical...

Quite a coincidence that "Revolver" and "skoobydoo_2000" have the same IP address too, eh?

Revolver, put up or shut up.

adam

um surely two individuals browsing through the same firewall would have the same IP?

Such as two individuals working for the same company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

and that company being NTL ?
    resolving ip to marketingdroid1.dub.ntl.com

yeah - and why not?

i just mentioned that firewall thing in case anyone was assuming same IP = same person posting under 2 nicks to back themselves up

that's all

(i just don't understand the "put up or shut up" bit)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Phreak
    and about 20 before we see it in letterkenny :(

If it will take 20 to see it in L'Kenny, then it will probably take another 10 before we see it near Donegal Town!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement