Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something is coming and it'll blow you away!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is obviously NTL launching in another upgraded area. Its not huge news unless your in that area. AFAIK, they havent upgraded many other places so your SOL and better off waiting for ADSL.
    Originally posted by pete
    Wouldn't it be feasible for NTL to offer cable downlink (using the set top box they're flogging now) along with a telephone uplink, negating the need for an infrastructural upgrade?

Or am i missing something?

Well pete, you would still be paying local call charges, and thats not really always on broadband. Plus you would get nice downspeeds, but 36k (?) upspeed which isnt really broadband. 1 way cable is a hiding to nothing, even worse than one way satellite, as you cant queue for downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Originally posted by yellum
    and that company being NTL ?
    resolving ip to marketingdroid1.dub.ntl.com

Hardly a revelation considering he clearly said he worked for the company.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Revolver posts from cabletel15.cableol.net

I guess cabletel are too f*ckin CHEAP to buy an ad from us.
    I think I'll phone them today and remind them that money can be exchanged for goods and services...

Scum.

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Funnily enough skoobydoo_2000 posted his "I Believe Revolver" reply from cabletel15.cableol.net as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Revolver

Hello to you all.

I can see from the posted replies that many of you are already aware of the 2-way network in West Dublin. This was upgraded to ensure that NTL could meet it's deadline for the roll out of Digital TV. The broadband service will rollout on the 19th in that area over that network.

Training for staff is currently taking place so there's no point ringing now 'cos 'the receptionist' won't know what u r talking about.

I'm not a marketeer, and besides, this product would need very little marketing to be fair. If it delivers what we all hope it will then it will sell like hot cakes. Personally i'm not a company man and I realise that NTL have had a lot of issues with service etc but we are getting it together and this time I think you guys will have something extremely positive to say. It's a great 'good news story' and even if it just motivates the other Telcos to pull the finger out then that has to be a good thing.

I understand the cynics, especially after all the hype and hot air from Eircom but all I'm saying is have a little patience and keep watching the press. :)

I'm going to disappear for a while now... just in case our admin is watching my keystrokes or something... you have to be a little paranoid these days!

See you on the counter-strike servers one day?!

Revolver.

• Advertisement

Incidentally guys,

Stop banging my IP address and all that kind of stuff around. I already said that I worked for NTL... I only added that to prove my story is credible. It is highly feasible that someone else in here reads this site... wouldn't be that shocking in a company with 300+ IT literate people would it? The information I 'leaked' to the site was quite confidential but as a long time whinger about the piss poor state of broadband on this feckin' rock I thought that this news was so good I couldn't keep it to myself.

The Moderators will know if i'm being genuine 'cos they can probably see my email addy, I dunno! If they can and they want to mail me then feel free and i'll tell 'em what I know on the basis of continued anonimity.

I'm on our side guys!

Adios. R

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hmmm forgive me if I'm cynical... you start an account and come here and pretend (initially) to be happy about a forthcoming service as your first post, which (presumably) is from the company you work for.... but of course this is all for the education of your mates here...

Somehow I find this hard to believe. This COULD be good news, in which case obviously I'm happy... why not make sure people in your marketing dept consider buying one of our cheap ads and point out that we reach a lot of the hardcore IT/Gamer community who are likely to be target customers.

Something stinks and its not Regi. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

and another 100 years before it hits donegal town (150 to the 2 miles out i live) can't get a job with 10 years IT experience who in their right mind would roll out broadband here most businesses don't even understand email never mind the internet or e-commerce

yours depressed i'm off out to grow my veggies

I didn't 'pretend' to be happy, i'm over the moon and still am so there is no 'initially' about it.

I did post the message because I genuinely wanted everyone to know, and it was done just because I thought it was good news and everyone should get the buzz off it that I have got.

If you want 'My Company' to advertise on your site then ask them yourself... i'm only a minnion and I don't have the influence to get stuff like that done.

And... reread your post, put yourself in my shoes and then ask yourself if you had anymore good news to share would you bother? No offence mate but u r being quite hard on me... only trying to help... :cool:

Absoultely positively the last word!!!

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Thanks for the heads up Revolver. My winged monkeys mentioned something about this last week so I'm inclined to believe it.
    Ignore the cynics, its not their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I hope that something comes of this and NTL (re)commit to upgrading the rest of their franchise area. This was the reason they were chosen above other (higher) bids. I hope it is not just a sales campaign for broadband in their current two-way area.

If they are starting again then it will take years to upgrade the whole of Dublin, Galway and Waterford. So we should still push for flat-rate, LLU and broadband from companies with existing infrastructure. (all IMHO)

Revolver, would you mind telling us what is being planned?

1. Resumption of upgrading to two-way for the rest of Dublin, Waterford and Galway.
    2. Sales campaign for existing two-way areas with no commitment to further upgrading.
    3. One-way cablemodem with POTS return for those areas that can handle it.
    4. Enabling the built-in cablemodem in the STB for existing two-way areas.
    5. None of the above.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Well, seeing that we have NTL engaging in the discussion..

If they launch the whole shebang in Tallaght, that really only means they decided to switch on the capability thats in the kit already installed. Why is this particularly significant?

The real point is that NTL have stopped further development of the network. In fact, they appear to be only introducing a bare minimum of 'digital' technology in order to retain their licence (i.e. monopoly). Give us the dates when the fibre and cable internet will be installed in somewhere other than 'West Dublin', and then maybe we'll share your enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Fergus
    Well, seeing that we have NTL engaging in the discussion..

If they launch the whole shebang in Tallaght, that really only means they decided to switch on the capability thats in the kit already installed. Why is this particularly significant?

I suppose it's significant to the 30,000 people (or is it 30,000 households?) in that area who will (fingers crossed) have access to cablemodem internet.

Ok, at least you've stated your case. I respect that.

We get a LOT of people who come here, set up a Joe Public account and then pretend to be telling all their "mates" about some great service or website or product... which is actually theirs.

It pisses me off greatly because they are leaching off the work of the admins and moderators and using the power of the community for their own benefit and profit.

I'd have had less of an issue if you said "hey guys, I'm work in NTL and I'm hearing rumours in work about something big coming on the 19th.... sounds great, stay tuned!"

Thats being part of a community and sharing info... the other way looked like sneaky marketing on the cheap.

Sorry if I took the head off you, generally I dont care if I piss Marketeers off because they arent really here for the community and thus are handy targets for stress relief. If you are a civilian casuality apologies...

/me gives Revolver a token for one last "final word".

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

The real point is that NTL have stopped further development of the network. In fact, they appear to be only introducing a bare minimum of 'digital' technology in order to retain their licence (i.e. monopoly). Give us the dates when the fibre and cable internet will be installed in somewhere other than 'West Dublin', and then maybe we'll share your enthusiasm.

I'm not sure what part of their license you're talking about, so I'll toss this out there and ignore me if I'm wrong...

The ODTR has said that cable modems are NOT part of NTL's digital services that will effect their license...in essence, NTL never has to roll out cable modems and they can still keep their license.

E

Originally posted by ekehoe
    I'm not sure what part of their license you're talking about, so I'll toss this out there and ignore me if I'm wrong...

The ODTR has said that cable modems are NOT part of NTL's digital services that will effect their license...in essence, NTL never has to roll out cable modems and they can still keep their license.

E
    The "bare minimum" Fergus is referring to here is the 35 channel digital TV service. It is a shame that some form of telephony/Cablemodem services weren't written in to the licence requirement. I believe that it was intended by the people that reccommended the sale by TE/RTE back in 1999. If it had been the case, then NTL would have reserved money for upgrading in Ireland as opposed to taking over cable operations all over Europe. Eircom would then have been forced to become a competitive company.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Yup.. digital TV ain't the internet. Just another mode of broadcast TV signal. But of course, all you need to do to keep your licence it seems is use the word 'digital'.

Anyway.. as SkepticOne says, and speeches by politicans highlighted in other threads have pointed out, the sell-off of Telecom Eireann's Cablelink was principally to introduce competition and 'multimedia/broadband' services..

Funny isn't it how within a year or so of the break-up, Eircom pulled out of plans to offer TV services over DSL, and NTL pulled out of offering internet/telephone over cable. Bob, if you're reading, how about updating the lyrics to 'Banana Republic' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Revolver are you saying they had to upgrade more parts of west Dublin to be able for digital TV.
    cause I kinda believe that as ive see them ripping up the road about 20 meters from my house and laying broadband cable not digital TV cable(it was those subtractors)

im amazed by the short sightedness of some people.this is good news if its true, as they never officially brought out broadband here, and any Dublin broadband may be enough to make eircom realize what they have and pull the finger out for the rest of the country.

but i do thing we should all back of this guy, ntl come out with something on the 19th, he will be my favourite member, other wise i ... well there beter not be an other wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Theres 4 manhole things about 200m from me (on North King St.)

3 say eircom and the other 1 says NTL.

And I'm in the center of Dublin, should NTL have stuff around this area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Bob, if you're reading, how about updating the lyrics to 'Banana Republic' ?

LOL

Sure he's a dotcom entrepreneur (although since debunk deckchair.com AFAIK), maybe if you write him a nice fan letter he'll do an IrelandOffline remix. All the video needs be is a tour of the corporate HQ's of the Telcos and Cable Co's of Ireland.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hi Fergus,

Funny isn't it how within a year or so of the break-up, Eircom pulled out of plans to offer TV services over DSL

But didn't the last DSL rollout failure happen because Eircom's entire gameplan revolved around VOD (Video On Demand), and the Regulator told them to bugger off because it would have been a breach of exclusivity clauses in the cableco's licences? Or is that some horse manure on the Eircom site and forgot to disbelive? :)

and NTL pulled out of offering internet/telephone over cable

Yeay because they didn't have enough money. *splutter* Didn't have enough competition more like...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Call me gullible but I'm inclined to take Revolver's remarks in good faith.

If I was in a similar position, I'd do the same.

I hope he's right and that it won't be long till it spreads outside of West Dublin.

I did notice something a little interesting on NTL PowerPoint (information) channel last night. Something like "All of NTL's Galway network is now fiber optic so please be careful when you dig 'cos it's expensive to repair". Does that mean that their network upgrade is complete or nearly complete in Galway. I don't really know but it might.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here in Wateford the "dial before you dig" graphic on NTL Text
    channel has been running for literaly years, over a year anyway. The whole of Waterford is fibre friendly but you would'nt know it of course.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Hi all.

This is what happened to me to-day.
    I rang NTL for the third time to give out about the fact they never came back to me on my digital TV connection that they said would be available in two weeks.

The ladie apoligised and checked into my area and said it was available to go, so i said how soon to connect me,The answer, a week in a half.

I got into how expensive my internet bill was with them and that i was going to have to cut back, when she ask would i hold.

She then came at me that in two week's a new package would be offered in my area (Dublin 15), 128k cable the details where not fully confirmed put she thought it would be something like £50 connection, and £25 a month, always on, that there be a better deal with the digital tv as well, if i wanted to wait the two weeks.

Needless to say, the grin could not be wiped of my face the rest of the day.

Really hoping it happens.

Brian.

Thanks for the last post North. Actually I didn't think D15 was in the area but if the gurus in customer service (I jest of course!) say it is then who am I to argue?

To be honest with you all to upgrade the whole network to two way would cost millions and right now I don't know if NTL have the cash. But they have posted good profits so who knows? I think that the next roll out will be city centre D1 and 2. for business customers.

Even if one area gets broadband it's a step in the right direction. I too would like to see the odtr and those other muppets pushing all the telco's to get this sorted.

Incidentally, i've just moved house and I have now been waiting for 10 weeks for Eircom to install a phone line. I called 'em two days ago and they put me through to some guy in a warehouse in Bray????

What a shower of absolute c*nts!!!

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't know if NTL have the cash

*snort*

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

just spoke to a very nice chap in NTL customer service about digital TV / Cable internet

(offtopic)he tells me that D15 will have digital telly before christmas

but more importantly he confirmed that cable internet will be relaunched "next monday" (i'm guessing he meant monday week)

he says it'll be tested in tallaght initially - , no not more tech testing, but testing the market to gauge the level of interest

i think he said that the equipment costs £100/£150. maybe. don't quote me.

he says it's €30 a month, no cap, 512k down

he says that providing there's sufficient interest, they'll proceed with the network upgrade

no timescales are available, but the division of NTL dealing with it have estimated that it would take 3 years to upgrade the entire city

he also expressed surprise at the number of enquiries they've received considering they haven't advertised or even announced it yet. how strange, eh?

ahem.

Originally posted by Revolver
    Incidentally, i've just moved house and I have now been waiting for 10 weeks for Eircom to install a phone line. I called 'em two days ago and they put me through to some guy in a warehouse in Bray????
    A bit like my experience with NTL. I was supposed to be in an upgraded area for two-way services and was sold cable modem internet. After several visits by various technicians who checked the quality of the line, it turned out that fibre had not been connected to the node and it would not make economic sense to do this work for just one customer. On their computer the area was fully upgraded.

Well, it might be like that with Eircom and your line. Maybe there's no money in installing new lines and that there's more money in extracting revenue from existing lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I think that the next roll out will be city centre D1 and 2. for business customers.

Humbug! D7 has a huge business sector too! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I think that the next roll out will be city centre D1 and 2. for business customers.

Umm, any timescales on that?

Dublin 1 and desperate (home office).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement