Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something is coming and it'll blow you away!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Revolver
    I think that the next roll out will be city centre D1 and 2. for business customers.

I doubt that somehow...doesn't D1 and D2 already have Chorus satellite?

Would it not make better sense for NTL to go to an untapped area of Dublin and reap the profits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

dear good tell me its dublin 3,

if its 128k it explains alot, its probably that same service they are about to launch in england. probably explains why they can launch it.
    if its 516k then woppy, and for 30 euros even better.

Eircom can go **** themself, and at the next ioffl meeting you better be there because afew of us will want to buy you a brink.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by NoelRock

I doubt that somehow...doesn't D1 and D2 already have Chorus satellite?

Not the area of D1 i'm in, NTL rules the roost, i really hope its the next upgrade area
    Presumably if its done with business in mind the infrastructure will be there to add it to the consumer market?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Has anyone got any HARD SOLID FACTS to report rather than just wild conjecture of the "my mate told me this down the pub" variety and raw guesses dressed up as gospel truth?

This looks like viral marketing to me, - helping to spread the name "ntl" around the place, without any real product on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Well as per my conversation w/ NTL this week, most of the southside- this includes d14, d16, d18, blackrock, foxrock, stillorgan, and the vicinity are still devoid of NTL Internet cabling:(

BUT if it is £25-30 w/ no cap let that be a bit of viral marketing that can infect me big time:)

If anyone has spoken to NTL directly confirming or otherwise, please Post. AFAIK, they've only officially ever said West Dublin (Tallaght, on the way to Lucan etc.) is ready so Dublin 15 (castleknock area ?) might be pushing it?

• Advertisement

accroding to the goverment im in west dublin and thats d3 so you tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by NORTH1

She then came at me that in two week's a new package would be offered in my area (Dublin 15), 128k cable the details where not fully confirmed put she thought it would be something like £50 connection, and £25 a month, always on, that there be a better deal with the digital tv as well, if i wanted to wait the two weeks.

schweet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Esat signs unbundling deal with Eircom

Just wondering if it is any way related to the above rumour post by 'Revolver'.

If it is the news has broken early!

Best regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Bard
    Has anyone got any HARD SOLID FACTS to report rather than just wild conjecture of the "my mate told me this down the pub" variety and raw guesses dressed up as gospel truth?

I would suggest a good starting point would be reading some of the previous posts :)

The facts i posted came straight from an NTL person, speaking in their official capacity.

Why not ring them up and ask them yourself & see if you can verify the info?

this is exactly what i said before in my post.

your damn true it does, this will probably mean eircom can go ahead with there adsl plains soon after ntl and their cable.

i probably still go with ntl then get eircom adsl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by pete

I would suggest a good starting point would be reading some of the previous posts :)

The facts i posted came straight from an NTL person, speaking in their official capacity.

Why not ring them up and ask them yourself & see if you can verify the info?
    A decision on whether to resume upgrading is likely at this point to be known only at board level. When a decision is reached it will be made known to both the public and the staff at the same time. At the moment people seem to be posting rumours among call centre staff.

The only thing I will believe will be a public statement by NTL that they are resuming upgrading together with a timetable for the various areas. Even that doesn't mean much as they can still back out like they did before.

In the UK they are selling broadband heavily to those areas that are upgraded but don't appear to be actively upgrading other areas. A lot of people are frustrated because they are not getting firm commitments out of NTL.

This thread was started by someone saying that something wonderfull was going to happen. Immediately people started speculating as to what it might be (including myself). We still don't know.

When it was suggested that it might just be selling cable internet to those areas that are already upgraded, the original poster did not disagree but said that surely that was good news and a step in the right direction.

Well, if that's the case, then it's good news for those ~30,000 homes that are already upgraded but does not mean that NTL are going to upgrade the rest of Dublin (or Waterford or Galway). There is a big difference between getting a return on existing investment and making new investment. In the current financial climate, there is an emphasis on getting the most out of existing assets.

If you phone up NTL and ask when your area will be upgraded it is likely that you will be told when the area is ready for digital TV. This is because that is the only date the staff member will have. Not all NTL staff know what a cable modem is and what the requirements are for this sort of service. Upgrading an area for two-way services is much more involved than for digital TV. The engineers know, but they do not man the phones. The faults section probably know, but they are not given plans and timescales.

A decision on whether to resume upgrading is likely at this point to be known only at board level. When a decision is reached it will be made known to both the public and the staff at the same time. At the moment people seem to be posting rumours among call centre staff.

ok

Maybe you misunderstood when i said the person was speaking "in their official capacity".

So i won't get all ratty and stuff....

But why not go back and read what i posted yesterday?

Ahhh sure what the hell - i'll say it again:

I called NTL at lunchtime yesterday and asked some questions:

I asked about digital telly in dublin 15

- I was told i'd get it before christmas

I asked about cable internet

- I was told it was to be announced "next monday"

I asked where it would be available

- I was told that, as the only upgraded area, it would just be Tallaght initially, and depending on the level of take-up there they'd roll it out to the rest of the city.

I asked were there timescales, or a work programme for the network upgrade that would be necessary for the rest of the city.

- I was told that there were none at present, but that at a meeting with the NTL division that would be handling the upgrade a three year period had been mentioned as a best case scenario.

I asked how much the fees would be

- I was told 30 euro's a month, plus an initial equipment charge (the specifics of which i cannot remember, but i think he said £150).

I asked what you got for your €30

- I was told 512k down, with no cap. The customer service person then told me that they had been given a chart with price comparisons between NTL and eircom DSL.

Now.

None of this discussion happened on the Q.T. - there were no nods, and no winks. They were straight questions, and straight answers.

This to my mind was not a call centre rumour, and it was not blokedownthepub-ism. (Dare I say that the paragraph I quote above is? :) )

This was someone who sounded like
    a. He knew what he was talking about, and perhaps more importantly,
    b. He gave a ****

Incidentally - he was just as happy about the 512k down as I was.

Oh and if they DON'T announce it, i'll be ringing them back to find out why they're telling people otherwise.

Maybe someone from IOFFL could ring NTL's P.R. people in their official capacity and find out what - if anything - is actually going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by SkepticOne

Well, if that's the case, then it's good news for those ~30,000 homes that are already upgraded but does not mean that NTL are going to upgrade the rest of Dublin (or Waterford or Galway).

Waterford and Galway are as far as I know both fully
    upgraded and its only been the lack of same in Dublin thats' caused NTL to hold back on offering Cable modems, after all
    Dublin is the market if NTL is going to make any serious money but its also thier headache as most of its network
    is unchanged since Cablelink was a lad.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

i live in blackrock
    right outside my window some burly men in luminescent yellow coats are putting some fresh cement on the pavement they dug up over night. they've put up handy signs apologising for the distruption to the area, and that they are working for a company called broadband on behalf of esat.

what's that all about then?

why don't you go outside and ask THEM, you lazy bugger :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

because, AS I SAID, they are burly looking and smoking fags.

they might be mean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Or i'll walk down there my self and ask them wtf they are laying cable for :eek:

Now be a good lad and go outside with a couple of cups of tea and digestives and say "hey lads, fancy a cupper, and tellin me wut ye are up ta there" :)

Originally posted by pete
    This to my mind was not a call centre rumour, and it was not blokedownthepub-ism. (Dare I say that the paragraph I quote above is? :) )

This was someone who sounded like
    a. He knew what he was talking about, and perhaps more importantly,
    b. He gave a ****

Incidentally - he was just as happy about the 512k down as I was.
    I take back my remark about people posting wild call centre rumours. ;)

One point, and this is not attacking anyone here, is that NTL upgrading areas where there is demand has been the official line since they called a halt to their upgrade programme. Again, I hope there is some substance in their forthcoming announcement and that a full upgrading will occur and that it will not just be based on the demand in Tallaght.

Originally posted by tactical anni
    Or i'll walk down there my self and ask them wtf they are laying cable for :eek:

Now be a good lad and go outside with a couple of cups of tea and digestives and say "hey lads, fancy a cupper, and tellin me wut ye are up ta there" :)
    A tray of tea and a few copies of the Sun or Mirror usually works. Mind you don't hold up their work, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah speaking of laying cables,on Thurs night about 9ish walking around trinity, and just across the road from Judge Roy Beans was some guys laying cable, and the van said 'broadband services international' or something like that. I was quite curious. But too drunk to go up and ask :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

'broadband services international'

Yep I've seen them lurking around the place. They were digging stuff up in Dundrum a week or so ago.

I didn't feel like goin up to and speaking to them bcos they did look rather rough fellas- one of them was wearing that "keep glasgow clean" t-shirt. **me scared better go**

Oh BTW Who TF are these blokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

So to put this thread in a nutshell, No New News.

We have all known for ages that ntl's 2 way cable was available in areas of west dublin. We have all known for ages that they stalled upgrades and planned to continue them in 'areas of high demand'. We have all known for ages that wherever they do start to upgrade, it wont be overnight and could take up to 2 years.

So have we learned anything new from this thread? Apart from that maybe, possibly, (according to one inverified source) They are re-launching the existing service in already upgraded areas, Nothing.

Stop the romour mongering folks :) Wait till monday and see if theres an announcement (Ill bet ye a pint there isnt :) )

Cable still seems to be the best longterm hope for cheap broadband. On current form however, Eircoms and Esats DSL will be available to most people long before ntl get round to sorting the network out (im talking about Dublin here).

Originally posted by Dustaz
    So have we learned anything new from this thread? Apart from that maybe, possibly, (according to one inverified source) They are re-launching the existing service in already upgraded areas, Nothing.
    The main news to me was that at some point they must have stopped selling cable Internet in Tallaght. Every time I phoned up, they said that this service was only available in Tallaght.

Originally posted by Dustaz

Oh for christ's sake....

Look.

If when you say "one" you mean "several"; and if by "unverified source" you mean "an NTL customer service rep"; and if when you say "nothing" you mean "clearly stating that the service would be relaunched with a view to rolling it out (over three years) city-wide", then yes, I agree.

No new news. Nothing to see here. Move along, folks.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Originally posted by Revolver
    I think that the next roll out will be city centre D1 and 2. for business customers.

Cable internet is pretty much a consumer-only service. How many businesses do you know with a cable TV connection?
    (correct me if I'm wrong)

John

It's great that we're all in agreement.

;)

Originally posted by MyPerfectCousin

Cable internet is pretty much a consumer-only service. How many businesses do you know with a cable TV connection?
    (correct me if I'm wrong)

John

Quite a few.

And in any case - just because up until now NTL have been primarily in the TV business doesn't mean that has to be their only business....

Dustaz, one of these days you and me are going to seriously clash heads. your ****e is getting very boring , if you have nothing to say then shut up. it seems you only want one tread on this forum, the one telling you that ADSL is at your house and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. if this bit of news doesn't bring you a little joy, then a pity you and hope I never become like you.

Pete, is right, I know of several business that will use cable internet, look at it this way, it will be the same people that will use ADSL. big business wont buy either they will have sdsl or hdsl.

d1- d2 are both upgraded btw, they were officially upgraded about a year ago but cable internet was never sold in those areas. it may sense your going to do the main business area first. maybe that's what will be announced Monday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»

Pete, is right, I know of several business that will use cable internet, look at it this way, it will be the same people that will use ADSL. big business wont buy either they will have sdsl or hdsl.

True enough, although with their new rollout, NTL is moving from the DAVIC cable Broadband standard they used in their original rollout to the newer DOCSIS standard, which allows fairly fine-grained control over Quality of Service, VPNs etc. etc.. This will potentially make NTL cable Internet very attractive to businesses of all sizes.

Also, with the horrible slump in Telecoms right now, NTL are no doubt aware that building a network for residential customers who pay IEP40/month doesn't make any sense at all - they almost certainly have $$$ business users in their sights this time round.

d1- d2 are both upgraded btw, they were officially upgraded about a year ago but cable internet was never sold in those areas.

AFAIK, the upgrade wasn't completed, since NTL knew a long time ago that they would have to rip out any DAVIC standard equipment soon enough anyway, and thus didn't install it in the first place.

• Advertisement

interesting, could you email me off, or post some info on the two cable standards as id like to read up on it.
    allot of work was done though in d1 d2 and d3, it did stop but I noticed allot of work going on in the past few months using subtractors and working overnight so allot of people wouldn't notice it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement