Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackout mentioned on 2FM today! Great publicity!

Options
  • 07-11-2001 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Thumbs up and fair play to 2FM jock Gareth O' Callaghan who mentioned the blackout as the top story on his "Net News" segment today. I don't know if anyone else heard it but basically he read out the article that was posted on The Register and then added a few little comments of his own. While not naming any companies specifically (but we all know he meant Eircom! ;-) ) he agreed that we are being ripped off in this country by these companies when it comes to internet access and he voiced his own anger and frustration at the current situation here in Ireland.

Now, I don't know whether he found out about the blackout just from the article on The Register or whether someone from Ireland Offline contacted him and told him about it. However, if it was the latter, I think that we have to congratulate whoever told him and got the mention on the radio as that was some great publicity and a real coup to get a mention like that on the most listened to afternoon show in the country AND on a national broadcaster.

I'm sure that today's mention on 2FM will only help increase support for Ireland Offline's campaign and for the blackout and hopefully inform the public more about Ireland Offline in general. It's okay for the likes of us here on this board who are probably pretty au faix with the net and technology but the poor punter who isn't so technically minded needs to be enlightened about how much he or she is being ripped off. Perhaps Gareth has helped in some small way towards that and we should all be grateful to him and The Register. I don't know if he reads any messages on this board but if he does I think I speak for everybody involved with in the Ireland Offline campaign when I say thanks for your support and giving the campaign some welcome publicity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

also getting some publicity on electricnews.net :

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=4546002 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

I was listening to 2FM today and heard Gareth mention IrelandOffLine...first I had heard of you all. I'm one of the esat 2000, although having gotten the original *idiotic* letter from esat nothing seems to have changed re: my No Limits account. Anyway I digress, I was glad to hear you are all out there and will definately be supporting the blackout on the 16th, difficult as it may be to be without my lifeline *grin* for a whole day.
    Good Luck and keep up the good work.
    Dg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Itsd great news we got a mention on two leading news sites and 2FM today, and that is exactly the kind of publicity we need. Great news. Adam looks like your good gut feeling came true. Thats all for now. We have an army;)

Failr play all

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Originally posted by Matfinn
    Itsd great news we got a mention on two leading news sites and 2FM today, and that is exactly the kind of publicity we need. Great news. Adam looks like your good gut feeling came true. Thats all for now. We have an army;)

We have a huge army...it's called the membership :-).

Dannygirl, glad you found us.

And just for the record, Slashdot slapped me down as fast as they always do when I submit...damn. Anyone have any contacts there?

E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

how about if several / dozen / hundred people submitted the blackout story to slashdot?

might they take more interest then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by ekehoe

And just for the record, Slashdot slapped me down as fast as they always do when I submit...damn. Anyone have any contacts there?

No contacts, sorry. Just tried my /. user a/c (very plusgood karma) - "2001-11-07 22:53:04 E-commerce hub of Europe still doesn't have broadb (articles,news) (rejected) "

Tried also from my work a/c (@SomeBigCorp.com) - they may take that more seriously...

Soz, but as Pete says, maybe the # of submissions will help, hope my 2 have anyway.

Al.

just tried it meself

sure who knows, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Hey WTG Gateth :) you could not have done a better job mate :)

And welcome to the Board Dannygirl nice to have u along :)

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Originally posted by pete
    how about if several / dozen / hundred people submitted the blackout story to slashdot?

might they take more interest then?
    from my experience, nope.

besides... can you forsee anyone on slashdot being even vaguely interested in the irish internet situation. i hate being the sceptic, and i might eat my words soon, but i'd aim ads at irish joe user rather than american geek.

Originally posted by Acous

from my experience, nope.

besides... can you forsee anyone on slashdot being even vaguely interested in the irish internet situation. i hate being the sceptic, and i might eat my words soon, but i'd aim ads at irish joe user rather than american geek.

i guess it depends on how the story is pitched to them - as a purely Irish story, sure, they'll probably ignore it.

But if it's sold as a "1000's of Net users to boycott Net" they might be interested.

I'd hate to think that we're the only people getting screwed over for Net access in the world today, so perhaps it might be seen as an approach for others who find themselves in the same boat to follow?

• Advertisement
Advertisement