Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half broadband network is redundant

Options
  • 07-11-2001 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This article caught my eye in todays Irish Independent:
    Half broadband network is redundant
    Up to half the country's multi-million pound broadband telecommunications networks is not being used, and most companies have fallen behind in their payments for the service.

Members of the Dail Committee of Public Accounts heard that the Department of Public Enterprise has renegotiated payment terms with four companies following a downturn in the telecommunications sector.

Some £19m is currently needed to compete the network which provides high-speed internet access to the US and Europe. The Department is currently seeking additional companies to use the network being built by the Exchequer for £60.7m.

Interesting, eh?

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

course it is IBEC produced a report there telecommunications for e-business, i used to work for a software company based in donegal town and we were about to expand our network to support or vpn network to london.munich and boston ( before eircom pulled the final plug on us) we were being qouted 50k for a 2MB line they wouldn't connect us to the ATM network even though the line goes through Donegal town beleive me the infrastructure is there you just can't connect to it a body called ernact have received funding to put fibre round donegal but who is going to use it ? all the tech companies have closed - there are the sweat shops that are the call centres but lets be honest most of their work isn't high tech
    try www.t4eb.ie to see how much fibre is in this country !!!!!!

Advertisement