Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the story with windoze 2000?

• 16-05-2000 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Nobody seems to be posting their horror stories but nobody ever seems to post about a good microsoft product.

Is anybody using it at work? How does it perform? Any problems, etc

Is anybody using it at home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Well I managed to get me grubby little mits on a copy (all above board) and it seems to be fine (igh I feel dirty)
    I haven't used it extensively but besides some early hard to find driver probs it seems to be ahhh.... quite good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I use it all the time on 2 of my PC's in work and sware by it now! At home its on one of my systems and when i get my new duel PIII700 it will be on both of my PC's. I haven't heard any horror stories yet. Driver issuse don't strike me as horror stories, you have to expect that it won't support every device out of the box but there are drivers for most devices on the manufactures web sites. It will be the ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Apart from a few Kmode-exception errors I got by stress testing one machine in work I haven't seen any probs. My machine at home has been running win2k since Shadowlan without any major probs. Surprising? You betcha!

In other news, Micro$oft have sent the beta of the first service pack to testers, probably be released in June/July. So you might want to wait till then (as most corporate IT people are)

More info - cnet.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well, I here that it runs faster on a P200 then Win 98 does, I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who uses it on P200, so it could be untrue.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Lies! You will need a good box to run this OS. I recomend at least a PII300 with at least 64Mgs RAM. More is better with this OS so more MHz and Mgs will make it very happy indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Well, thanks for all the input.

We're well used to secuity holes by now neway and you'd be a fool to rely on Microsoft for secuity.

It's prolly been said b4, but I wonder what Bill Gates was holding in his hand when he came up with the name Microsoft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Has anyone got a voodoo2 to run under win2k???
    i know there are beta drivers out but taz said they would'nt work for him
    so me may have to stick 98 on me new machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Fing

I've managed to install 3DFX beta drivers for the V2, got the h/w working etc but games won't fuggin use it. Also, SLI mode aint supported in W2K. Basically its not a great games platform. I'd hang about until Windows Millenium gets out. Has anyone beta tested Millenium BTW?

Fing

I disagree, I'm running every game I've ran in win98 with no problems with a voodoo3. If anything they run faster. So nyaaa! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

anybody get suckered by windoze millenium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Sutty, I've got win2k at home and want to upgrade entirely from win98 instead of duel booting but I too have a dxr3 card for dvd playing but I dont have the right drivers for it. What creative labs drivers do I need or are they out yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

u need to get the hollywood+ win2k drivers there are two or three .zip files all you need is disk one or the frist one to most people(this contanis the driver files). then you goto the creative website and get the file dvdewup.exe. you then install the DXR3 card with the hollywood+ files. restart the comp, then you update it with the driver files from dvdewup.exe. then you install the creative dvd program for viewing dvd's, if this installs you'v done it, if not your a fool smile.gif . if you have a nvidia type 3dcard you may have dxdraw overlay probs. i put the fix of this up on the player of games website.

ps... don't worry if the card is still called hollywood+

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 19-05-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i got the second beta drivers and had q3 and glq1 running grand..
    but sometimes teh voodoo2 was a bit dodgy
    so me got rid of it ahve a tnt now
    nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I haven't had any major probs with win2k pro build 2195, just a few drivers(DXR3) are not out yet. besides that its great. also 3dmark wont install(but thats another story) smile.gif
    once the Live drivers came out I was set. never had any real probs with the Ge-Force Drivers 5.** are the best to use. and a mix of Hollywood+ and NT drivers sort of work for the DXR3 DVD card.

ummmm, don't like the sound of upgrading from win98. It's always been a bad idea (from win3.1 to win95 for example, I still have flashbacks)
    Dual boot until you're setup in win2k and then nuke win98 like the rabid festering lump of an o/s deserves.

amp - win9x free since Shadowlan, and loving it.

Advertisement