Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weirdest "Moment" with a lecturer.

• 08-11-2001 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Mine has got to be dropping my statistics book on my lecturer's foot while he was on the phone. It was a weird moment. He didn't even cry out in pain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Well Mr.Avatar thief :D I would have say that all my lecturers are boring shítes so therefore no weird moments "with" my lecturers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Got our exams back, I see that I got 39%, I was quite perplexed as to why he wouldn't pass me so I asked him what's goin on?

His reply was that, I did actually pass but he 'felt' I didn't show a sufficient level of comprehension in class to warrant a passing grade :confused:

He was just like that, he told us at the start of the year he'd fail half the class to that the other's would feel good about themselves! He doesn't work there anymore, I believe he's now teaching in Cork! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

We had this guy before who clearly didn't have a clue, he used to walk around with this book on Pascal (which wasn't even being taught there, it was a PLC). I can honestly say that that man learned more from me that I did from him. Useless is not the word. Incompetent gobsh!te doesn't even come close.

Anyway, towards the end of the year he came into us and asked us to say he was a great teacher and recommend him for the job for the next year!
    Faced with 30 blank stares of disbelief, he left the room quietly.
    30 seconds later we erupted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BEG*

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie
    Well Mr.Avatar thief :D I would have say that all my lecturers are boring shítes so therefore no weird moments "with" my lecturers!

That's Miss Avatar thief to you, young man. Rest assured I'll change it when I get a chance. I'm still experimenting with avatars so I've not grown attached to Tweetie Pie. Now, can't do better than that, shake hands and forget the whole thing ever happened??:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

question lecturer about my marks following exam. i had the exact same answer to those who got full marks, so i had to find out why

answer

"well yes its the same, but i expected more of you, so I did not give you full marks"

so i said you BA$TARD !! [in my head]

and then verbally i finally got the marks off him....wata freak !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I know exactly what you mean, and I don't know why lecturer do that. More than one of my lecturers have given me lower marks than I expected, all because they wanted to me to do better.

This kind of scenario really puts pressure on people. Let's take for example that I, on many occasions, recieved marks 80%+. To achieve this, I really knew my stuff and had worked hard to get it. But then there were people who didn't even come close to what I had done, and they recieved similar marks. All because they impressed the lectuer on the day.

And now!, as a result, I was asked this question from a fellow student in my class the other day. Keeping in mind that we are final year degree CS students.

"Does the web browser sit on the client or the server?"

It's people like that that are making life hell for the rest of us. I work hard for what I get, but there is times, I feel I shouldn't push myself too much all because it's not going to be appreciated. IMO grades/marks in college is the same thing as Money out in industry. So why would I do a bad ass job if I wasn't going to get what I deserved.

Anybody else experience similar?

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I am a lecturer and I AM THE FREAK BRUTHER!

no really i am a lecturer. i try and pass everyone that even puts in a bit of work really. well i am sound like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by phobos
    "Does the web browser sit on the client or the server?"

which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm guessing its on the client. Then again what would I know :)

John

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Client, client, definitely client...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Most ppl won't find these funny but if you do, first phone a shrink and then goto http://www.ucc.ie/students/socs/mathsoc/

"So do I need a ticket?"
    Fresher queuing for the train to Dublin for IMSA 2000
    "What's your favourite infinte dimensional vector space?"
    Finbarr Holland 8/11/00
    "In our real world we have to truncate real numbers."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 4/10/99
    "I'm an American."
    Mike O'Sullivan 6/10/99
    "If I ever write down one I mean zero."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 11/10/99
    "t squared is a wee bit more than n"
    Mike O'Sullivan 20/10/99
    Q: Why is it not 16?
    A: "Because it's not!"
    Mike O'Sullivan 1/11/99
    "70% is as good as you can get."
    Mike O'Sullivan 1/11/99
    "I'm an idiot!"
    Mike O'Sullivan 3/11/99
    "And the first thing I'm going to do is ... umm ... find the eraser."
    Mike O'Sullivan 4/11/99
    "It's one of those obvious things that takes a moments thought."
    Mike O'Sullivan 8/11/99
    "If I wanted to be careful I'd have to be very careful."
    Mike O'Sullivan 10/11/99
    "Twice is once."
    Mike O'Sullivan 18/11/99
    "It's very simple up to the point where it gets complicated."
    Mike O'Sullivan 18/11/99
    "OTH: On The Other Hand."
    Mike O'Sullivan 22/11/99
    "Let's take a source with 5 elements: zero, one, two, three, four, five."
    Mike O'Sullivan 24/11/99
    "One is the only integer between one and ... one."
    Edwin O'Shea 26/11/99
    "In fact I'll give an example later where the actual distance is bigger than the distance."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 1/12/99
    "I don't want to change it now 'cos it'll even be more confusing...but I suppose I could."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 8/12/99
    "...What am I ... doing?"
    Pat Fitzpatrick 16/12/99
    "There are always problems since we're dealing with engineers and not mathematicians."
    Mike O'Sullivan 16/12/99
    "It sortof compactifies the thing."
    Mike O'Sullivan 6/1/00
    "...then once you pull your thing out of the wall..."
    Mike O'Sullivan 13/1/00
    "In a way this is a load of rubbish."
    Liam Marnane 17/1/00
    "It's very straightforward but it's just tricky to get the ahh... the ahh..."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 17/1/00
    "I don't know why he chose 64 and not 32. Well actually I do."
    Liam Marnane 20/1/00
    "You can think of a zero as corresponding to the number zero and a one as corresponding to the number one."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 10/2/00
    "...Oh ****! ... Ahh, excuse me!"
    Pat Fitzpatrick 14/2/00
    "And that's the magic of soft decision decoding." < trips over the overhead projector> "And that's the magic of
    falling over things."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 14/2/00
    "If the generating functions are the same then they all multiply out and you get the things..."
    Pat Fitzpatrick 2/3/00
    "... so you're balls are getting large as n gets big ... they're not getting tiny."
    Mike O'Sullivan 2/3/00
    "It hasn't changed except for one change."
    Marc Van Dongen 26/4/00
    "You see where it says password - what do I type there?"
    David O'Brien 27/4/00
    "Why is it so small, can you make it any bigger?"
    Abbey Lehane 27/4/00
    "I'm not too sure whether I've lost you or whether you lost it!"
    Pat Fitzpatrick 27/4/00
    "Find a prime ... factor it."
    Mike O'Sullivan 3/5/00
    "Did I really say this?"
    Mike O'Sullivan 3/5/00 (While reading this list.)
    "The definition of n factorial, pronounced 'n factorial' is ..."
    Kieran Mulchrone
    "... and because it's unsigned we don't care about the ... sign."
    Kieran Mulchrone
    "...So a big round of applause there for me."
    Tadhg O'Suilleabhain
    "It says to make Maple plot in the default range. How do I do that?"
    Some second year
    "... so j equals -2. Is that what you said?"
    "No."
    "You got it wrong!"
    Kieran Mulchrone
    "Nothing is completely transparent." - Tom Carroll
    "That's exactly true, nothing is completely transparent." - Pat Fitzpatrick
    "Some irrationals are rational, right?"
    Thomas Martin
    "WLOG: The weird log of..."
    Pat Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Our biochem lecturer (Phd of course) the other day had immense difficulty turning on the overhead projector, after fiddling with it for 10 minutes he goes off to get someone to fix it. As he leaves this japanese girl in our class gets up, strolls up to the projector, flicks the switch and goes off to catch the lecturer before he made an even bigger eijjet of himself.

As for lecturers not giving fair marks, its interesting to notice those just out of the LC who are not used to getting As in every subject, the standard is completely different.

Going off on an even bigger tangent, its amusing watching the just-out-of-schoolers talking to lecturers about the length of answers

Student1 : How long does this essay have to be?

Lecturer: However long it takes

Other students : Really, 4 or five pages?

Lecturer: You finish when you have said enough

Other students : FFS HOW MANY ****ING PAGES DO WE HAVE TO WRITE YOU GOB****E.

A throwback to the days of, 'If you dont write a 4.5 page essay in english they wont correct it'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

In regard to wierd comments by lecturers....

A female lecturer of mine who will remain nameless (shes actually quite sound- thats why!)

When talking about how the Revenue Commisioners are always trying to close loopholes in Tax Law....

Every year they sit down and adopt the attitude of trying to plug a dyke

She realised as soon as she said it- and then quickly replied...
    You know those water thingies in Holland

ROFL as was everybody:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

RoffleMayo as they say indeed. Is she a lesbian?

You guys heard the one about the UCD economics lecturer?
    A lecturer in the Economics Department has been asked to discontinue lecturing pending the outcome of an internal investigation being conducted by the Economics Department and the Registrars Office.

[...]

complaints made by a number of Students that Dr. Norton had made disparaging remarks towards three students while delivering a lecture last week

[...]

he referred to a student of Asian Origin as "China", to a student of Oriental origin as "Japan" and he referred to an Irish student as "Darkie". A number of students immediately left the lecture and proceeded to the Economics Department where they handed in a letter of formal complaint,

[...]

"I looked to my right and I asked a Japanese guy a question about Shadow Pricing, and he didn't know, I addressed him as Japan, as I have done in the past without any offence being meant, I got no satisfactory response from Japan so I turned to my left, and asked a Chinese girl where she was from and I then said China".

The third student that Dr. Norton asked a question of was addressed as "Darkie", yet according to the lecturer, this student was in fact a white Irish student. "I looked at the centre (of the room) and there was a girl in the centre who you couldn't mistake her, she had an incredibly white face, incredibly black hair and incredibly black eyes, my choice of word was mis-chosen, I said OK Darkie, this was the real fatal thing, I don't know the name of anyone in that class".

At this stage, a number of students left the lecture. Dr. Norton points out of those that left the lecture that "those who left were from the back of the lecture, they obviously assumed, they couldn't see the skin colour of the person I called Darkie, they could simply see someone up front with Jet black hair, my response to this thing is that I should not have come in, but I take my lectures so conscientiously, even to give them a handout is better than nothing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I heard about that alright Dada.

Supposedly he gave the excuse that he had a bad cold and fever and that he only gave the lecture out of sufference to appease the masses??

That was nice of him...So he took the liberty act like a rascist.

Has he been sacked? I haven't seen anythng about it in the tribune or around the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Eh, he's due to be investigated by some body or other. The Tribune will be out next Tuesday most likely (with a nice article about Buy Nothing Day from moi) so I'm sure there'll be plenty of info there.

Alls I know is it's going official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pretty minor offence tho, in relation to reality. It's not like he started passing racist slurs (above name calling) or took an unfair bias and failed the students involved.

We had a lecturer down here a few years back, who when he became head of his department failed anyone who he didn't like, and diverted funds and lecturing postitions from the department to his research assistants in order to keep them working for him.

He lasted a year, is still lecturing tho, had hime lst year, not a nice guy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Nesf:
    You have a quote from Marnane, thats cool, I remember him from Elec so well.

Every lecture he used to say "I don't know" in the tone homer used in some simpsons episode.

Postal Worker:"Whats you first name Mr. Burns ? "
    Homer: "I don't know"

Advertisement