Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSl or FRIACO 1 year away at least.

Options
  • 08-11-2001 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Humm!

My €ircom droid mate was at a meeting (or was it a conference call I couldn't say) recently where €ircon Eng plans were supposed to be discussed and where all present were told they could chill out on their plans to have DSL ready exchanges in their area for a while. Capex is also being revised downwards dramatically in order not to aggravate the new Board. The logic was this.

Tony O'Reilly is a senior member of a syndicate that owns €ircon, the politicians are scared of aggravating Tony with an election coming up within 6 months and him owning half the national media and all.

The single item on the political agenda that would aggravate Tony the most would be the Regulation of Communications Bill becoming law during the next 6 months, it is simply not seen as a high political priority anymore. If the politicians were to push it now the Indo would counter by saying that it was existence of the Bill that caused half the country to lose a bucketload on their €ircon shares and anyway why was nothing done about the Health service instead.

Nor will the Bill be numero uno priority in the first 6 months of a new governments term either.

As €ircon cannot launch DSL's or FRIACO without setting a wholesale rate for the competition, they will continue as is for the next year quoting ridiculous figures for the competition to the regulator until there is some chance of the Bill getting thru and giving the regulator some teeth. Then they will start to play ball....reluctantly of course.

This is the reading of the situation by senior €ircon droids by the way.

In the meantime , nothing. €ircon and the regulator will continue to talk to each other of course.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

By the time we get ADSL the world will probably be many steps ahead. Give me cable!!! Or even two way satellite!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

All of this is excluding other operators go into the Local Loops and start installing themselves, and the alleged release of Cable this month in west dublin. With competition moving in on further potential market force for EirCon, and with the long-term possibility of loosing customers permeanently even once they've rolled out broadband, EirCon might be forced to move before the Regulator gets sharper teeth.

Just a thought of course .. given track record the above probably wont happen any time soon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Remember !

The new legislation is needed in order to force €ircon to unbundle the local loop, the regulator has been unable to force them under existing legislation. Current European directives on LLU have as yet not been incorporated into Irish law owing to the delay in enacting the legislation

So thats a year away too.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

For the past 8 months i have had NTL. The reason is cos i tied up the old Phone line to much and we needed 2 lines. And with them you get a phone Bill each month, my Bill is about £300 a month, and they are so Nice they give it to me for FREE!! i get a discount of what ever my bill is so thats good, also the Speed is a little better then Eircom .

But now NTL has Cable in my area only , So thats 10 times Faster around 500 bps But it is SOOOOOOO expensive £375 to install it and then £75 a month ,.

I think they are Taking advanage of they being the Only company with a Fast connection, take the likes of England, over there they get there Cable installed for FREE and only pay £25 a month , the Reason is cos there is far more Companys selling it , and they go past cable , they have T1 and T3 as well. It is hard to beleave that they are only across the water,

Well i havent read all the posts here, I know a good way to let ppl know about this even more... Remember when Glanbia was changeing there Pint of milk for a half liter, ? remember what ppl did to stop it ? They Phone Emmon Duffy and other Radio shows, and they backed down,, i see there is a Show on today 5-7 live, i will listen to it , but i think we need to take more action and get our High speed connections

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Muck
    Remember !

The new legislation is needed in order to force €ircon to unbundle the local loop, the regulator has been unable to force them under existing legislation. Current European directives on LLU have as yet not been incorporated into Irish law owing to the delay in enacting the legislation

So thats a year away too.

M

OK, AFAIK LLU has already taken place. The problem is that the prices are too high for any OLO to take advantage of this.
    Also, Lets not forget that ADSL is ready to go - Exchanges are upgraded and the equipment is there waiting, again for prices to be set. They could roll out tommorow if they wanted, unlike NTL who have at least 12 months of road works to upgrade thier network.

• Advertisement

NTL do havealot of road to fix,, But in my Area they are finished over 8 months ago,, THEY are just lazy , i can get Cable ,, but i'm not costs to much

NTL Link

If you dont want to viste the site this is what it says
    cable modem internet

Currently available in selected areas of West Dublin.

This is the super-fast internet service everybody's been waiting for and ntl can make it a reality for you. With our cable modem service you're on the net and where you want to be - in a jiffy. It's up to 9 times faster than a standard 56K modem and up to 4 times the speed of an ISDN line. So you can download files and web pages in seconds, not minutes. You'll never yawn with video streaming online at incredible speeds and you can enjoy online radio and gaming without tedious delays. Just switch on your computer, click on your browser and - wwwhoosh! - you're on the web. With ntlworld.ie via cable modem, your phone line will still be available for personal use whilst you're on the net.
    For more information on our cable modem service and to find out if its available in your area, call us free on 1800 321 321

minimum specification

what you need:

To get the most out of ntlworld.ie we recommend your computer has the following:

if you use Win 95 (rev ii or above)/Win 98
    P166 processor
    32 MB RAM
    80 MB free hard disk space
    14.4 modem (BABT approved) or above
    800x600 monitor

if you use an Apple Macintosh™ 7.6.1 or above
    revii with OT/PPP incl. iMac (ntl do not currently support Mac OS10)
    Power PC
    32 MB RAM
    80MB free hard disc space
    14.4kbs modem(BABT approved) or above
    800x600 monitor

To get the most from your cable modem service, we recommend you have the following:

60MB free hard disc space (150MB or more recommended)
    1OBase-T Ethernet card
    cable modem (as recommended by ntl)
    Internet Explorer (4.01 or above) or Netscape Communicator (4.5 or above)
    If your computer runs on Win 95 (rev ii or above)/Win 98 you must have:

Pentium 166 or above recommended
    32MB RAM or more recommended
    If you have an Apple Macintosh™, then you need:
    MAC OS 8.5 or above (incl.iMac) PowerPC 32MB RAM (40MB or more recommended)

to use this service:
    You will need to buy a cable modem. We recommend the Motorola Surfboard 3100i. You may also need an ethernet card, which we can also recommend.

The prices are as follows:

Equipment Required Installation Price (incl.Vat)
    Cable Modem Self install £240
    Cable Modem + ethernet card Self install £279 - PC users
    Cable Modem + ethernet card Self install £299 - Mac users
    Cable Modem + ethernet card Third Party install £355 -- PC users
    (if needed) £375 - Mac users

Prices quoted above are correct at February 1st 2001 and inclusive of VAT and are based on Motorola SurfBoard 3100Ii cable modem, a Netgear EA/TPO ethernet card and a Kingston KNE 100 TX ethernet card for Mac users.
    All ethernet cards recommended are 10Base T internal PCI cards and are provided with TPO/RJ45 cable.
    If you would prefer to install the equipment yourself you will need to call the mail order house ntl has selected. They will take your credit card details and dispatch your order to your preferred address.
    If you require an ethernet card installed in your computer (and you don't want to do it yourself) you will need to call the recommended install company. This service costs £75.
    Whichever option you choose, you'll still have to book an installation appointment for a cable connection point for your modem. This work is conducted by ntl engineers. You must not attempt any part of the installation or wiring yourself, as it may have a detrimental affect on your service and that of others in your area. ntl will not give you access to the cable modem service if this install is not completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

NeVeR, there's a lot of people who would kill for unlimited cable internet at £75/month. Which area are you in BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

think of it this way. By the time we have ADSL (or at least LLU) the rest of the civilised world will have fibre coming into their houses. Sick situation eircom has put this country into.

I live in Tallaght/Dublin 24. the £75 a month is Ok , but the Cost of installing it is what the problem is. It is far to Expensive . Compared to UK i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by rymus
    think of it this way. By the time we have ADSL (or at least LLU) the rest of the civilised world will have fibre coming into their houses. Sick situation eircom has put this country into.

I agree wholeheartedly. As I've said before, Eircom are holding back the economy and development of this country and they don't give a s**te whatsoever. The thoughts of ADSL and FRIACO being ANOTHER year away at least makes my blood pressure skyrocket. For God's sake, they have flat-rate and broadband in some of the Third World countries at this stage and Eircom claim that it's "not economically viable" in a First World country. What the f**k are Eircom on because it must be some of the strongest sh*t outside of Columbia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

they upped the price? 8 months ago it was only 50

Advertisement