Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard questions

Options
  • 09-11-2001 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

First off, is Socket 370 the same thing as FCPGA???

I've an Abit BM6 socket 370 mb. it clock is rated up to x10 and the fsb can go up to 133.

can i put in newer cpu's (celeron/p3) and just change the multiplier and fsb to the correct settings or does the BIOS need to be able to support them too?

Ta!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Heya Scruff,

I think (though I'm not 100% certain) that 'socket 370' is the standard for the physical socket itself and 'FCPGA' is the standard for the pin-function mappings, thus they both refer to different aspects of the same CPU/motherboard interface. So yes.

And yes, you can swap slow CPUs for faster ones of the (exact) same type if the bios supports the higher speed. If your board can do 133Mhz FSB and a 10x multiplier then you can support CPUs upto 1.3Ghz.

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Bosco

And yes, you can swap slow CPUs for faster ones of the (exact) same type if the bios supports the higher speed. If your board can do 133Mhz FSB and a 10x multiplier then you can support CPUs upto 1.3Ghz.

Bosco

Is that: if the Bios supports the chip type you can just stick in a higher speed one or the bios has to support the chip type+higher speed?

eg: current bios will support Celeron up to 700mhz you can put in one >700mhz or you need to get a bios upgrade to support the >700mhz chip.
    ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Remember,

Coppermine Chip shall top out of 1.3ghz and Intel will then stop production.....

Remember too that a Coppermine 1.3ghz will anniliate a 1.7 P4

FC-PGA 370 - FlipChip Pin Grid Array of 370 pins - PIII Cumine

FC-PGA 423 - FlipChip Pin Grid Array of 423 pins - P4 to 1.7

FC-PGA 478 - FlipChip Pin Grid Array of 423 pins - P4 > 1.6 +

Ba$t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Socket 370 comes with 3 different pin configurations, PPGA which was for the original socket celerons only, FCPGA, for p3 coppermines and celeron II , and FCPGA2.

<Edit> I found out just there that unfortunately your board is ppga, so editing this a bit </Edit>

The fastest cpu available for your board is therefore the 533mhz PPGA celeron.

AFAIK, the coppermine is stopping at 1.13 ghz, but the tualatin will be going up to at least 1.4ghz. There is a new celeron based on the 0.13 micron core, which is a damn nice chip, because it has 256k cache, and is not crippled like the celeron II was. People have been clocking the 1.2ghz one to 1.6 and 1.7 ghz.

On a separate point, scruff, yes if the motherboard supports that EXACT cpu type, and the bus speed of the cpu, it will work, at least with intel cpu's. This is because they ignore the multiplier set by the motherboard in any case, and set their own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Ahhhh...

I didn't realise there was more than one kind of FCPGA (I only follow these things when I'm planning on buying something - last time was over a year ago.) Sorry if my answer was missleading.

On a seperate matter, I have a 633Mhz FCPGA Celeron2 that overclocks nicely to 950Mhz with a good heatsink ( though only in Winter and even then only when the heating isn't on too high ;) ) and an Asus CUSL2. Is now the time to buy a new CPU? Do these new Celerons use FCPGA? If not, will Intel be making any more FCPGA CPUs? If not, it a socket P3 my best bet?

Bosco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Gerry
    Socket 370 comes with 3 different pin configurations, PPGA which was for the original socket celerons only, FCPGA, for p3 coppermines and celeron II , and FCPGA2.

<Edit> I found out just there that unfortunately your board is ppga, so editing this a bit </Edit>

The fastest cpu available for your board is therefore the 533mhz PPGA celeron.

Cheers for that Gerry.
    Downloaded the manual before i saw your post and tis indeed PPGA. B0ll1x.

there is a bios upgrade that will allow me to upgrade to a 600mhz celeron.
    <EDIT><B> Appatently if u have rev 1.03 or later of the board </B></EDIT>
    Saw a few interesting articles on 566mhz ones that will overclock nicely to 850mhz but they were FCPGA ones, dunno about the PPGA ones.

Any idea on how hard it would be to track down PPGA chips?
    I'd like the give the auld machine a bit of a new (cheap :p ) lease of life before i manage to get the cash together to move to a new system.

<EDIT> (done a bit of digging:D )Also for anyone with a PPGA socket 370 mb like myself, there is a FCPGA to PPGA socket converter called the Neo S370 from Powerleap, that will allow you install celeron2's and P3's up to what ever you multiplier and FSB allows.
    http://www.powerleap.com/Products/neo.htm

which would mean a 1gig P3 with 133FSB in my case :D
    </EDIT>

Advertisement