Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isdn set installation time 3-5 weeks more like 2-3 months.

Options
  • 09-11-2001 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

i ordered a isdn line 2 months ago mabe longer its been that long mae ive lost count. Any way they said it would take 3-5 weeks if eircom cant even get isdn lines out what hope has it of getting adsl or faster lines up and running.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I dislike defending Eircom, but sometimes there are valid reasons for this kind of thing. I don't know about other areas but we had some stormy weather recently down here and that created a lot of repair work for the Eircom engineers, effectively stalling new installations. It's only in the past week that they've started doing them again. When I ordered ISDN last year, I told them it was for business and had it within four or five days. Unfair prioritisation I know, but what can you do?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I dislike defending Eircom, but sometimes there are valid reasons for this kind of thing. <snip> When I ordered ISDN last year, I told them it was for business and had it within four or five days. Unfair prioritisation I know, but what can you do?

adam

That's interesting, Adam.

I work for a large Local Authority. I ordered ISDN for one of our local offices early last Summer (2000). It took in excess of 4 months for the installation to be complete. Three months passed before they first called.

Despite numerous calls reminding them of their so-called Customer Charter - most of the staff hadn't an idea what I was referring to - appointments were made, ignored, made - the engineer hadn't the correct equipment...etc. It was a bloody farce!!

Maybe if I worked in the private sector rather than in the Public Service we might have been treated a little differently.. < or maybe even worse>?

That's interesting, Adam.

Which, the line installation or my defense of Eircom? :)

Maybe if I worked in the private sector rather than in the Public Service we might have been treated a little differently.. < or maybe even worse>?

Your situation isn't uncommon MM. Cases like this with regard to ISDN haven't really hit the headlines much, but some very embarassing leased line cases have, such as the company who ordered a leased line and were told they couldn't have it for four years[1] (anyone remember where the report of that is?).

There have been serious complaints about ISDN right here though, and on other forums, and four months isn't unusual. At one stage, around the time of the Genesis hype, the official lead time for everybody was six weeks, and they often went well over that. This was commented on in, among other, dotIE magazine.

You're right though, it's quite possible that if the line was for a private business, you would have had it delivered much more quickly. The oft-suggested advice of telling Eircom that the line - or repairs, or anything - is for business and you need it quick smart, actually does work. I advise people to do it all the time, because I've done it myself with impressive results.

But whatever about public service organisations, if anything it's probably worse for consumers, because Eircom genuinely don't see them as very worthy. Considering the fact that every house in Ireland is paying their monthly line rental (and many are paying "equipment chanrges" too), that seems illogical to me. There's a lot of money to be made out of consumers. Unfortunately, Eircom's blinkered view doesn't recognise that.

adam

[1] The reasoning behind this would appear to be that because Eircom have service obligation as part of their contract, and absolutely have to supply any reasonable request for service, a delivery date is necessary. I wonder if that would stand up in court though. As far as I remember, Eircom settled the case, which would suggest that even they don't think so. But I'm projecting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

[Your situation isn't uncommon MM. Cases like this with regard to ISDN haven't really hit the headlines much, but some very embarassing leased line cases have, such as the company who ordered a leased line and were told they couldn't have it for four years[1] (anyone remember where the report of that is?).
    Irish Times, Friday, July 13, 2001
    Firms face delays of four years for crucial circuits
    Several firms located outside Dublin have been told they could face delays of up to four years to obtain crucial telecoms circuits from Eircom.

IDA Ireland said last night it was "very concerned" by these lengthy delays and the negative impact they could have on regional development.
    And a very amusing response from Eircom:
    An Eircom spokeswoman said last night that the delivery dates sent to individual companies were not accurate and were merely "computer-generated".
    What I take this to mean is that the computer bases its predictions on past completions but that exceptions can be made in cases where bad publicity might arise by putting them ahead of the queue. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone from Eircom will correct me on these boards.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There have been serious complaints about ISDN right here though, and on other forums, and four months isn't unusual.
    Yeah, like complaints about being told that ISDN isn't possible "now, or in the future."

God, I'm a bitter little man. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks SkepticOne, that's the kiddy. As far as I can remember (again), the Mayo firm that was mentioned eventually settled the case with Eircom. Pity really, I don't think there's any doubt they would have won, and the precedent would have been advantageous in future. But of course that's probably why Eircom settled. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

ok its the 9th week now :(
    still now joy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

*whisper*Could you not engineer something like that, just for the precedent*whisper*

Wasn't me I didn't say anything

what yea mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Yeah, like complaints about being told that ISDN isn't possible "now, or in the future."

God, I'm a bitter little man. :)

The only "bad" experience I've had with ISDN is trying to get a fault repaired. The fault was notified in mid-August, and it took until Mid-September and 5-6 DIFFERENT crews to find and repair a loose wire going into a socket. One guy assured me that the problem was not even in our building - according to his hand-held thingy, the problem was 81 meters from where the line entered the building - but it was definitely outside. Oh, and because he normally didn't do repairs around the area, he would have to pass the problem onto someone else who was more familiar with the local geography.

It was laughable to listen to each crew as they arived and gave their assessment of the problem.

• Advertisement

its here at long last i would call that 9 weeks,

but the eircom guy is after forgetting the modem so thats another 3-5 working days. :(

hmm any 1 want 2 bet on how long it will take?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

My last ISDN connection took 5 days this new one took nearly a month. They didn't turn up for the appointment they made and told me that they had no record of the appointment ever being made. I must have imagined the call I got from them about it.
    It wouldn't have happened until after Christmas unless a friend in 'the know' rang someone and told them to get their finger out. They then just turned up at my apartment out of the blue and luckily I happened to be there.

Advertisement