Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP and CS

• 09-11-2001 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

i'm thinking of getting of getting windows XP and i was wondering if anyone has come across any problems using CS with XP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

If your talking about Counter Strike then you find that creating a LAN server takes a bit more than a minute which feels like an hour when ur sitting waiting. This is in XP and on a PIII 1ghz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

xp broke |dNC|oPT's Half-life
    quake 3 and GLQuake work, just not half-life
    (GL mode not supperted..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look, XP sucks :p I refuse to buy XP, ever,
    1. Because of the registration, mainly,
    2. It's only barely backwards compatible(it doesn't even run some of MS's own old progs ffs)
    3. As Patrick has noticed, it's a bigger hog on system resources than any MS software so far.

To stay on-topic :p I've heard it gives problems similar to NT and 2k, although not being a gamer, I don't know what they are :), but everyone has praised it's immense stability, so there ya go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I do wish ppl would get this right:

1)XP is win2k!!

2)they made XP "look nicer" so it would be nice for the home users.

3) with all the exter nicer looking bits, you just know that the main bits are going to be as buggy as hell

4) Win2k will not **** up your games, the only games I have,'t got working are some old dos games and games made not to work on it. But HALF LIFE DOES WORK WITH IT!!!!!

5)GO WITH WIN2K!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i got a *copy* of windows XP last week. i and one other person installed it and had no probs what so ever with it. mind you we need to upgrade the GF2 GTS drivers to play CS at 1280-1024 in GL mode but once the new drivers were installed we saw no probs.

Its quite nice, and may look very bulky but it can be toned down quite easy.

iv not tested it for long periods of time yet for stability, but first impressions are pretty good.

Score out of 10: 8.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ill give you one week flamegrill...then post your feelings.

Im after sending my 50th error report for nvidia bluescreen, digital camera, usb problems, cdrom, hard drive, etc etc etc.

I know why they released this shíte OS before it's time, so geeks like me that are first to install can send loads of error reports to tell them how to fix it....fek that.

Back to 2k for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i've had problems with OpenGL and CS when i first installed XP. new drivers were found easily on the net and that was fixed. the only other problem is the CS, WinXP and Intellimouse problem where mouse doesnt behave properly and can fcuk your aim. just look at my scorsheet anytime I play and you'll see.

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you got mouse acceleration or some other such weirdness turned on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i blame the mouse drivers Intellipoint 4.01 or something like that. anyway, i got the aiming sorted. i can aim proper without blaming the mouse every time i play, its the sudden movements when you want to spin 180* degrees or 360* degrees that the mouse starts acting up and points to the ground or sky and i get shot. :)

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

For home use and away from prying eyes insure you install XP with a "Corporate Key", get it from www.deja.com .... no more Product Activation.

There is a problem with HL and Direct Input, that causes lag in the controls and mouse in XP, can be got around with a CMD line switch... ask Vertakill, I helped him with it :cool:

I personally wouldnt touch 2k or lower again... after getting a good (read: FAST) XP system together, all other recent Windows seem look and feel like Win 3.1.

99% of problems people have with XP or any new OS is using ****ty old HW and/or bad mobos. I didnt think XP sounded any good at all, until I saw it boot in 30secs (first boot after install), with native Geforce 3 drivers and native CDRW Burning support.... it was nice surprise to say the least.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ive used Wind0ws XP for the past 2 months.....

I only had problems with Red Faction, which frequently crashed (its not supposed to work on the win2k kernel at all).

It works perfectly for Counter-Strike and most if not all of the other games out there atm. Except maybe C&C. :) which i dont play.

Ive never noticed the extra hog on resources but I do have quite a powerful machine. I get far higher frame rates from W1NXP than W1n2k or Wind0ws millennium

Go for it!!!
    If your machine is +1000mhz and has at least 256megs0rs of rams0rs

Advertisement