Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steaming Audio Specification? Urgent..

• 25-05-2000 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

My mate (bwoods) who has posted a topic on streamin audio got the reply of checking out shoutcast and using winamp - thanks for that and its sounds good.

We want to be able to allow users to access the streaming audio server for a football match commentary.

We have no problems with the server but have a problem with the telecommunications.

Users connect to the server and hear the commentary - but the location of the match will not have an ISDN line.

Is it possible for our server to be sitting in a good network and have a computer where the match is taking place streaming the commentary audio to that server where the users connect?

We greatly appreciate your help.

Anthony.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hi,

You'd need a good connection right were the commentary is being made from and if you use a laptop and a mobile the most your going to get is 9,600 which is no use so the only other thing I can think of is that the person at the match uses a mobile to talk to someone whos by the ISDN server, that person could hook up a mike to the phone and play it directly into the multicasting Server.

If you can get your hands on walkie talkies you'd be better off tho considering the mobile calls cost a bomb.

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 26-05-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DaKegMan

Yeah i was thinking that myself - but its a bit of a hassle - i thought i might be able to stream it from my laptop to the server - where there would be some delay - users just connect to the server - the commentary might be say a minute behind or so...

but thanks anyway.
    Anthony.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well either ways from your laptop you'd have to hook it up to a mobile phone and at 9,600 thats a bottleneck you could do without and it's bloody expensive, if it's something you plan doing regularly I'd seriously look into some form of radio communications.

A delay like you say would overcome some of the voice breakups arising from the bottlenecked 9,600 mobile data but thats assuming you found a way to buffer a few mins ahead before transmitting it over the net, I assume theres options in the likes of shoutcast for that but still it's just way too messy.

Blade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you have access to a land line at the football pitch? If so you could use a regular 56k modem and a huge extension cable smile.gif

Though the radio idea already suggested sounds better to me.

yes i have access to a landline, and that's what i would be using - but is 56k connection big enough for listeners or does that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

How far is the server, from the action

John

Firgit to mention. If its within around 300 metres. You could "invest in a transmitter and a reciever for around £400. I dont know if thats a viable option. But. it would mean that youcould transmit to the sever. With no loss.

Just a suggestion.

John

[This message has been edited by Lump (edited 27-05-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well, a 56k modem wont be up to much as a server - what you'd need to do is have the 56k modem uploading the stream to a high-bandwidth server which can handle a load of users listening in.

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress
    - -SK- Clan site

Thats exactly what i want to do - upload a stream to the server via the 56k modem and then users listen in on the high bandwidth server - is that possible - no any web sites or do u have any ifo on how that could be done.

The server is miles away from the match so a transmitter and receiver would be of no use.

Thanks

Advertisement