Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware suppliers in Europe??

Options
  • 10-11-2001 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Im sick of getting screwing cause of the exchange rate with sterling. Does anyone know of a decent place on the continent where you can get hardware for a decent price, but at the same time not get screwed over for carriage???

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    -Toppy-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hiya Toppy,

I looked into this about a year ago, and generally found it hard to find a hardware (parts) retailer in continental Europe that had staff with good English, or an English website. I wouldn't buy from an organisation that I can't effectively communicate with, the prospect of having to send something back to them (if faulty or whatever) is too daunting.

That said, if you have fluent French or German, I'd imagine you wouldn't find it hard to find a mail-order or online company that will suit you. Try translating the following words into your foreign language and putting them into a search engine: online, computer, hardware, sales. Remember though that you may need to be able to translate a myriad of technical jargon if things go wrong and you need to send something back.

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Is it worth looking into suppliers in the US? would the savings made make up for carrige?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Generally post from the US costs $35-50 Express. UK Mails can cost that or more and never arrives as quick as it should.

Just try to avoid DHL, they hand everything over to Customs, which means you have to pay Irish Vat on the value of the package (as written on the Invoice). Fedex are the best and UPS are decent too...

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Matt Simis, are you the Matt that works for Biffco?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Any specific suppliers that youd recommend in the states from experience? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Does Tarzan still do his thing?

How do we actually transfer the funds accross to him with out a credit card? Does he donate the stuff to us cos it's so cheap or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

I've ordered stuff from America a few times and had good experiences. However, the exchange rate (especially since we joined the euro) is a bit crap to say the least, though admitedly not as bad as the sterling rate is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Biffco?? Never heard of them!

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭tarzan

hi
    yea im still ordering and sending parts. you pay a friend in dublin in irish. mail me if you are interested.

Advertisement