Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presence Book of Condolences

Options
  • 10-11-2001 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I feel someone has to start this given how cool this band were. I think the only time I bothered to post was usually to do with these lads and lass.

Maybe I'm being a bit silly about 'another small time Dublin band' but I think that presence could have had an effect.

They were different to the rest. Prone to lapses in being 'Trendy' and cool. Not cock rock (as was unfairly thrown on them ) but RAWK!

But they made up for this with supremely cool inventiveness. (especially on the guitar front as cd owners know!)

While you slept is pop genius. Too long and too rockin for fm104 but just right for phantom.

The play between the catchy guitar hook and the counterfoil of the bass with the sweetest vocal on top was exquisite. Bursting into a booming chorus and sweet solo.

There's also the phantom favourite 'Dream' which could have been Thin Lizzy if they were around today with a sex change!

I hope others who give a **** about this band and what they and all the ORIGINAL bands in Dublin are trying to do will post a nice little thing about what presence were so we can appreciate what music is going on in this city and how much more interesting it is to the ****e being poffered arounf the charts and 'indie' charts at the minute.

Maybe Presence could tell us why this happened and what happens next. I, for one, care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

I never got to see you play While you Slept....that's our song...eh you knw what i mean. i'm realy sad over it. Gar told me last night. and you know, i was upset.

a truly great band, a truly great shame....

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

Well Shucks,
    I'm really sorry to hear of anyone's grief !!!
    Things were brewing between some band members for a long time which blew up on the Thursday night (8 - 10 - 01) mark it in yer diaries !!!
    So next could be a couple of things......a reunion of HARLIQUIN maybe......some colaberations with Popstar could be on the cards or who knows maybe with enough people caring....a proper farewell gig from Presence !!!
    Peace,
    kranog

http://popstar.2ya.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The return of Harliquin! You can still get their first release in sound cellar on tape for £3. Featuring the Stynes brothers Chris and Nial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

I think if slash was here right now, he'd say something along the lines of "aw, sh!t dude..."

Presence were remarkable, keeping rock'n'roll alive in this town. Good luck to whatever future projects the band pursue, I look forward to whatever comes from this. But it really is a shame.

I guess it means we can do the whole lotta love thing! :)

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Thomas, I think its now time to attempt all those projects that we wanted to to do, that didnt really fit in with what presence were about.....

....remember that musical about Jack the ripper "saucy jack"?

"you're a naughty one, saucy jack..."

or maybe an alice in chains tribute band needs a jerry cantrell

or a brown permed wig for those brian may moments???

R.I.P. Presence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

if there's a farewell gig, make sure
    1. i'm going to be able to get up for it
    2. it's on a weekend
    3. that i'm there for it....

ta luvs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hi all,
    Just wanted to add my two bits on the Presence situation here as its a popular topic amongst the band circle at the moment.

First off, I would like to say that I only caught on to Presence in very recent times( last 5 months or so).....these guys have been working hard at it since '98 although I may be corrected, in any event they've been around for while and sadly it has come to a conclusion.

Anyone who has been fortunate enough to see this band will agree that these guys were all very talented, sometimes a certain long haired unit of the band attracted more attention for blistering performances but as a whole this band always impressed me. I only got to see them three times but know how much dedication and work there was there......without being melo dramatic here I think peolpe should reflect on the loss of a truely independant spirit the has now dissappeared, for me Presence and particularly Thoams' spirt is an example to a lot of bands of how to stick with what you're all about !!! Now before people rant at me, I will make the point that I work closely with Tom and would consider him a good mate (aww shucks!!) basically cause of the respect that I have for the guy, as a musician, a hard grafter and as a human...

Tom you're a real Human!!!

Everyone else, lock the presence CD in your volt when not in use, I have a feeling the bands music will continue to impress people and the disc will be of value!

Later - Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Crowe

.....dudes

peace&love
    mr crow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

Just to add my voice here, as someone who was very impressed with Presence, not only their CD, but also the live performance, and the session they did with me in the studio.

I loved 'em - class playing, soulful singing, thoughtful lyrics.

Now I feel really guilty that you invited me to that Mono gig and I didn't go - it's just that there is no way I can get out on weeknights and not sound like aombie the next morning.

Presence, you'll be missed!

Keep in touch and let me know what you get up to musically.

Regards
    Steve

Advertisement