Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN using a modem?

• 21-05-2000 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

get a terminal adapter with an analogue port and you can still dial up to snl, switch back to isdn for clan matches etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

How can u use a modem with an ISDN line? This would be to keep using SNL for example.
    You have to replace your phones etc with new digital connections I know but I also know its possible to use the modem with isdn. Im just trying to figure out how b4 I go and get isdn.
    Ta in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Fing

If you're upgrading your analog line (as opposed to getting an additional ISDN), Eircom fit a NT1+ box on the wall that has 2 POTS connectors on it. This means that you don't have to rely on your TA being powered for modem\phone access.

Fing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What kind of ping would you expect with an analog modem using ISDN to SNL?
    And can you just get one line upgraded to ISDN or do you need two.

Oh and can anyone reccomend a good TA, preferably a cheap one.
    And does a shoddy TA effect ping much?

I've pretty much given up on cable at this stage.
    NTL are kinda' shooting themselves in the foot by making us wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

ISDN is 2 lines of 64k afaik, so if u get isdn u get 2 lines for calls (2 for internet also if u want but u usually combine them for a single 128k connect).
    This means get rid of yer old 56k analogue fone line and u get to keep yer old fone number and u get a new one smile.gif
    Pings are similiar to normal modem afaik, slightly cleaner connect tho with less spiking (well there is spiking due to isp and server etc but less due to bad line)
    Im working from bits and pieces of knowledge i have so feel free to correct me ppl smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i remember mindphuck use to connect using a modem so you might ask him
    why exactly would anyone want to connect a modem to an isdn line anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Because what's the point in sitting in irc on an isdn connect when you could be there on a SNL modem connect, save you a few pound. I'll be asking exactly the same questions when I get my isdn line installed. Yes I've taken the plunge into the digital world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

ISDN has the same call rates as analogue (For one channel), its the installation that costs you more
    (And maybe an increased ISP fee, but again that doesnt depend on how long you log in)....
    'Tis much of a muchness... smile.gif

Advertisement