Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City - Over the Top ?

• 10-11-2001 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

I watched Fair City for the first time in years last night and was stunned to see what RTE was serving up as entertainment before the nine o'clock watershed.

Just before the end of the programme a fight was portrayed between the "baddie" and his pregnant wife during which the words "b*tch", "bast**d", and sh*t were liberally used, along with other language that I would not consider to be suitable for "family" entertainment, all delivered in a vicious (although badly acted) way.

The male character then punched the pregnant woman in the face, and kicked her twice in the stomach as she lay on the floor.

Frankly, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was all portrayed very graphically (unlike say, Eastenders, who always cut away from the shot before any serious violence occurs).

I'm all in favour of adult programmes provided they are shown at an appropriate time, and in an appropriate way (ie. conditional access), but I was really surprised at the national broadcaster showing this level of abuse and violence on a so-called soap.

Did anyone else see it ?

Was anyone else surprised (or am I getting old ?)

Comments

Ah you couldn't be as old as me, Charles.....:D
    Gran, watches that programme here, and I can tell you,an expensive telly in the Kitchen would be a waste with what She throws at it when that Baddie is on-
    I saw the bits you are talking about and YES I thought was rough and unsuitable-but someone in RTE think this will get ratings-
    Its wierd but RTE's attitude to violence and bad language at any time seems to be much more lax than UK tv.
    mm
    p.s I usually look at Brookie, not fair City-but can remember when the show first started and at that time the acting was very wooden-but has improved no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Irish attitudes towards violence and bad language are fairly
    laxed to say the least, remember its sex thats bad in this country
    not phyical abuse!

As for Fridays Fair City a prog I don't watch unless I'm in the room when others are, well it was plainly a ratings grabber, something to get the phones hoppin' by Monday morning i.e Marian Finucane, Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy etc.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

agree with you all !! fair city was too over the top and should not have been shown before the watershed! another ploy by rte to get viewing figures up!!

if anything made me reluctant to go back and watch.

Yup, I heard G.Ryan raving on about it this morning.
    It was a cleverly introduced subject which was started by him reading out an e-mail regarding the violence+Sex on Soprano's.
    They had guts putting it up against Corronation Street-I suspect the latter wallopped it in the ratings-if you combine TV3 and ITV.

Whilst Fair City has came on in leaps and Bounds since it's early days-it wouldn't be my Cup of Tea.
    Big mistake probably to let it Clash with Corrie-but I doubt if that will be a regular occurance.
    mm

Advertisement