Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux

• 26-05-2000 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Ok i want a list of advantages and disadvantages of using linux over win95/98

Couple of thing or + importance:

Does it make any diff to modem speed/stabiltity/pings?

What is voodoo3 performance like with linux compared to win.

and in general is it faster etc

thnks smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

and what is quakeworld like on linux, i only play this so don't care about quake3 performance etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Not too sure about games on Linux but try this link http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/05/23/2224211&mode=thread

Should be of some help. Myself, I'd say stick with Windows for a while if you just want to play games. If you want to get something done use Linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

you could give here a look for linux games.
    http://www.linuxgames.com/

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

There was a thing on the performance of Q3 on 98 vs linux and 98 won, espically when using the Voodoo3. I haven't the link to hand, but if I find it I'll post it.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Also, what do you guys think about BeOS, I'm playing about with it at the moment, seems alright.
    And unlike most versions of Linux, it seems to like my modem. (woohoo!)
    Now if I can just get my soundcard working, I'll be set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

hmm doesn't seem a good option if all i'm really doing is playin quake frown.gif, how about general advantages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Get a MAC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

vincent, stick with 98 unless you are prepared for a huge learning curve smile.gif

btw; since when was BeOS a version of linux? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

buy Suse6.4 now....
    it 0wnz j00 all
    (this has nothing to do with the fact that the irish reseller is givin me a job doin me masters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Hecate:
    btw; since when was BeOS a version of linux? smile.gif

Who siad it was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

3d drivers under linux are terrible,
    theres several groups of which nvidia and john carmack are a part of working to alleviate this problem at the moment...
    but dont hold your breath.

for general internet browsing.. ughh.
    netscape. if you dont like it dont bother with linux one button broswing is not fun (no save as type right clicks)

i have it installed for coding perl/php under apache, and thats the ONLY reason.

all in all stick with windows.
    there is absolutely no reason except to say "ive got linux installed" to install it.

http://www.filmsoc.com

Advertisement