Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IF you got broadband, would you still be committed to ioffl

Options
  • 11-11-2001 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed this attitude,(not naming names) of *if it doesn’t effect me directly I don’t give a damn*. To me this attitude works bought ways, as soon as you get what you want (i.e. broadband, flat rate) in your area you will probably dumb ioffl like a cold fish. Well the fact is its unlikely everyone here will get broadband or even friaco at the same time, does this mean that the people in the country will have to go it alone, should ntl release broadband in Dublin?

It was the exact same attitude when esat cut us off, *screw them they deserve it* by the other users, some people were actually ecstatic with the news there connections would improve. Is this what we plan to take on eircom/esat with?

It was the exact same thing with eircoms adsl offer, several people who talked big, quietly slithered off to sign on for it(business are a different story)

To me, I don’t think these people are needed, not if there only interest is a self interest, sure you have to look after yourself, but if we all thought solely that way, it wouldn’t be long before this group broke up.

Id be interested in see, should ntl release cable internet within the next few weeks/months, how many members we loose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Well this is the other argument for FRIACO.. It can be made available to all areas over the telephone network with no further investment.

If one significant sector gets broadband - e.g. Dublin on cable, or 'businesses' on DSL - it strengthens the indiginous digital divide argument. It also makes a further mockery of the 'not viable' claims.

I think in reality, once Dublin has widespread broadband, a lot of folks are going to forget about this like you say, but everyone else can justifiably scream even louder.. esp for FRIACO at the very least.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Speaking for myself, about the only thing I can directly hope to achieve out here in the sticks is FRIACO. Even if that happens, I will still be actively supporting the campaign. FRIACO, even if offered in an attempt to kill us with kindness, would be a shot in the arm for the Internet in Ireland. In that sense, it would be a step towards ubiquitous broadband.

In short: my support for this campaign ends when it has achieved its objectives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'll still support IOFFL until all the demands of the group are met. There still will probably be some future for IrelandOffline even if everyone gets FRIACO and ADSL. Its a good independent consumer group and should stick around to monitor future developments. I'll commit to it forever !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

jesus, im not even going to bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There still will probably be some future for IrelandOffline even if everyone gets FRIACO and ADSL.

Well, I don't think there's doubt in anyone's mind that there's going to be pricing issues for some time to come yet. The committee has said many times that the group will be dissolved when our goals are met, but I think that's a long way off yet. I dunno, maybe when FRIACO is rolled out countrywide and ADSL is rolled out to all the major urban centres, then the group will dissolve, and another will be formed to tackle pricing issues. But let's concentrate on the present, eh? :)

To answer the original question, if I got ADSL tomorrow, I'd continue to work for IrelandOffline members (if IrelandOffline members wanted me to! :)). Particularly for flat-rate services. I've always felt that flat-rate is just as important as broadband, if not even more so.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement