Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce 2 GTS or V5500

• 28-05-2000 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

which card would be better for a k7 750 machine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I read a comparison article on sharkyextreme which placed both cards on pretty much the same level.

But my personal preference would be the GeForce 2 smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

TBH i reckon both cards will be fkin class ... I've ordered the V5500 cuz i've read that at the Higher Res (i.e Pretty) it works very well.

And i go more for the the looks than FPS.

JAK.

-I was mildly annoyed at the V5500 release being held back though.

[This message has been edited by Jak (edited 28-05-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Im basing my reply on the Geforce 64Mb

1. The geforce Has more textures.
    2. Not a bit difference, but you wont have to take a hack saw to the Geforce to make it fit in the case. Only being the size of a normall graphics card.

3. The Geforce only has one fan. Which might lead you to ask why does the V55000 need four when it does the same amount of work etc, even less in some departments.

4. Amazingly enough you can actually over clock the Geforce, People who have a love of over clocking things will like that. I'm not sure if you can do that with the V55000.

Well thats my 2 cents smile.gif

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Lump you're thinking of the Vodoo 6000, the big UberMonster thing that hasnt appeared yet....Mind you neither has the 5500 (It has 2 chips BTW).
    A 64mb Geforce is actually not a huge advantage when you use the Newer 5.13-5.22 drivers and a game that supports texture compression (these drivers enable S3TC for the Geforce).

As long as you don't have an AMD750 chipset motherboard....
    If they were the same price Id get a Geforce2, neither card has the fill-rate (Or Memory bandwidth in the Geforce2 case) to do hi-res FSAA so it's a bit of a non feature (except on older games, TFC flies with Geforce FSAA in 32b it at 1024x768, and looks mighty purdy).

The Geforce2 is unbalanced. Excellent core, insufficient memory bandwidth (5.2Gb/s on the DDR - theres supposed to be a second version due in a few months with 6.4Gb/s). This'll be the Voodoo 6000's biggest advantage when it comes out, it has something like 12Gb/s (Since the 4 chips have seperate memory buses).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

V6000, isn't that the pimped out card that yr gonna have to get a bank loan for though i.e. £600 which is aimed @ high end graphics types.

I myself have been mulling over this one in the last week GForce2 or 3DFX, in the reviews I've read the GF2 seems to beat the 3dfx on most everything although not always by too much. Also all v5500 were all recalled last week which is a bit worrying and they're not saying why.

The only reason why I haven't jumped at the GF2 yet is that I mainly play UT which doesn't seem to go over 60fps on high quality 1024 but this could be the same on the V5500 as the fps seems to be more reliant on yr CPU rather than yr card.

That said I'll prolly go for the GF2, here's the best price I've found so far on an OEM 64MB one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Go for the geforce2, however bear in mind that its not a brilliant improvement over the geforce ddr, because it uses the same memory, clocked only slightly higher. It is completely limited by the memory. I agree with creed, its not really worth getting 64mbs of ram on it either. If you overclock the memory on the geforce2, you will end up with a very fast card. ie don't bother overclocking the core. The geforce seems to be be faster than the 3dfx in every case except if u use FSAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

whats that about the 750mobo creed?, I haven't bought the system yet , but I have my heart set on the k7 750 what mobo should I get for it? the voodoo 6000 should cost around 600 dollars , 4 v-100 and 128 mb of ram , quite a beast compared to the 64mb of ram on the geforce2. soz for all these questions , pc100 ram or 133 smile.gif

Advertisement