Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question bout 2 way sat

Options
  • 11-11-2001 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Just wondering about 2 way sat internet, I ve seen a lot of
    posts about it but I hear its very bad for gaming because
    of the high pings you get. But are we talking about 56k modem
    bad or even worse ? I'm not sure many of ye will know but any
    advise would be helping me out big time.

james

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Pings will be far worse than a 56k modem. Best you could expect is > 500ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ah.. emmm, not sure about that ....

My friend in england managed to get a ping of 180-270 Miliseconds when playing on British Servers with a 2-way satellite connection ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by ando
    ah.. emmm, not sure about that ....

My friend in england managed to get a ping of 180-270 Miliseconds when playing on British Servers with a 2-way satellite connection ....

quite simple here.

no he does not...nananana.

its simply impossible to get anything below 500 with bi directional sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

heh thanks guys I'm even more confused then ever now.
    Thankfully I'll have a chance to check out a comp with 2 way
    sat access in over a week. I' ll post up what I think of it after I get to test it out to the max if anyone is interested.

james

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

had a bit of a plan which should have really come to me earlier.. myself and a pal are going to order the 800k/sec flavour of the educom service and den we shall connect his place to mine using a wireless conn. Old idea I know, but hey.. how else am I going to make this affordable for myself?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Rags
    I' ll post up what I think of it after I get to test it out to the max if anyone is interested.

james

Please do :) I'm thinking about getting that educom sat service iswell ... I really want to know for definate what its like with gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Please do :) I'm thinking about getting that educom sat service iswell ... I really want to know for definate what its like with gaming
    Some people just wont listen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Or listen to those who ever used 2 way sat. ;)

450ms is the absolute minimum that you will get, usually only from the sat companies own servers.

what about Low Orbit 2 way sat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

what about Low Orbit 2 way sat ?

Low Earth Orbit does not exist yet...maybe 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

I was on the phone to educom the other day and questioned him about the 2 way sat internet , I asked him how it was for gaming and he said he wouldnt be good but he thought it would be better then 56k modem for gaming but not as good as an ISDN line, he did say he didnt know for sure tho. One thing that he said which might be important is that they have some sort of anti lag software. Maybe that helps ? I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

That would be in relation to HTTP; I beleive Hughes have a system similar to Gilat for speeding up the loading of webpages to avoid the delay caused by high lag.

Brendan

Advertisement