Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Background Images

Options
  • 11-11-2001 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I've got a problem.

My webpage, made in tables, uses background images but one of them wont work. V.V.V.V. annoying!!!!!

I definately have it uploaded.

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Can you give us a link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Using a background image as a property for a whole table only works in IE 4+ and appears wrong and all over the shop in Netscape & Opera.

However the way to get around it is to embed a table w/in a table. Insert a table w/ 1 row and 1 column. Then selct a backgorund image for that CELL NOT OVERALL TABLE. Then embed the other table (w=100% h=100%) with the text or whatever in that table.

Thats the way its always worked for me.

If anyone knows anyway better let me and his dudeness know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

This is a link to the site that ive the prob with.

Its the top right cell

http://staigor.f2g.net

Hope you can help me

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

change the case of the file name in the html from...
    <td width ="81.25%" background="headeredit1.GIF" height="12.5%">&nbsp;</td>

to
    <td width ="81.25%" background="headeredit1.gif" height="12.5%">&nbsp;</td>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Actually, all of the images are in *.GIF format (as opposed to *.gif ) and the rest are working fine.

Make sure that all the picture names and extensions are correct..as in *exactly* match what is sitting on the server. It's not only the extension that is case sensitive.

ie. Header1 is not header1
    .GIF is not .gif
    and header 1 is definitely not header_1

for simplicity's sake I usually use as short a name as possible and decide on a naming protocol before I start..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yeah, you just named this image using the lowercase .gif

headeredit1.gif is the one you are looking for... yeah?

Thanks a mill!!!!

Got it workin and im soon gonna get paid (opefully) alot of money.

For those who want, Its available at http://nofear.0catch.com

My f2g space is FUBAR

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I fail to understand WHY you used an image for that header title at all... but given that, why you made it a BACKGROUND image... (???!)

Have you looked at that page in a resolution higher than 800x600px? I reccommend that you do so straight away!

Oh, ... and a couple of align="top" parameters in your <td> tags might be a good idea too. Also, if I were you, I'd use the redundant space on the left (where the blue fade is) to put a menu on every page of the site, so that you can get FROM any page TO any page.

Take it!... as constructive criticism.

"Constructive" Critiscism noted!!

Yeah, one of my mates noted the prob with resolution a few days ago. Any ideas how to fix it?

Got my FTP workin again, so the site is at its most updated on http://staigor.f2g.net

Any more critiscism and ideas are welcome ( but it doesnt mean ill like it)

h_d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

you should defo' change that main banner from a background to just a normal image in the page as ya can't see it in a lower res at all or if the window isn't maximised it would also keep the proper shape to your table.
    Think someone already said that but its still a background.

• Advertisement
Advertisement