Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircell HSCSD

Options
  • 11-11-2001 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Recently acquired a laptop and thought it would be a good plan to setup my Nokia 6210 on it as a modem. Only bothering doing this really because of the high speed option on the phone. Anyway, what I wanted to know was if anyone has any experiences of using this service because at the moment I'm up the creek without a paddle. Seems as if the high speed service isint setup on my account (something which eircell will probably charge me for no doubt) and after trying to sign up for e-merge ISP I'm left totally bamboozled. One thing that comes to mind is "Wheres my frikkin password?" They said they'd send me a password my SMS, but lo and behold, no password. tried signing up several times, still no password. Slowly loosing interest in setting this thing up unless someone can shed some light on it for me. Otherwise I'll just have to hijack someones phoneline when I take my laptop on trips and such.

Thanks in advance for any usefull information :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

afailk the only phone you can get high speed acces on is a motorola timeport, I had a demo at home and connected to the net at about 38,000bps.

e-merge aint got nothing to do with high speed afaik. You just use your highspeed card and motorola phone as you would any phone line or modem.....

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I know for sure that my 6210 will do high speed. I got it activated on my account this morning by eircell. Only thing is now that the modem drivers for my phone wont work with Win ME. Theres always something like... So it looks like a quick update to Win 2000 Pro and it'll be smooth sailing. Hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

How much did it cost you ?

I would get it done if it was free !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Eircell takes about 3 weeks if not mroe to send out your password.

Also, for Oceanfree's 'free' SMS txt messaging, they ask you for you own mobile number. Do they charge the cost of the messages?
    I also get smap SMS from them and ever we-sms i send through them has a little footer advertising clairol or guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Emerge sends out my password whenever I forget it around 5 secs after I request it; was something similar when I signed up when it first started. BTW, I have HSCSD activated for my account since start of the year (had to go through a lenghtly process to get a new SIM chip before it would work, but I never use faster than 9.6k now anyway; no need).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Verb
    How much did it cost you ?

I would get it done if it was free !

Gav

its free for the moment, but of course u have to have a compatible phone.

SyxPak - I got both hscsd and my e-merge account setup within about 5 minutes. Just rang customer support. They are even sending me a free data cable for my phone. Saves me 50 quid anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Maybe one of ye can put me out of my misery....

I have a Nokia 3310.
    Can i get some sort of cable to link it to my PC so I can transfer logos and/or ringtones accross?

I ahve about 5 programs for talking to the phone and 1000's of stuff (mostly crap but spme really good ones).

I've seen cables on UK sites for STR£15 and they seem like the proper thing.

I do not need to use this phone to connect to the net.....

I didnt think the 3310 was data compatible (in the stricest sense of the phrase I mean).. I presume that if you have some programs to add logos, ringtones, etc.. then u can get a nokia data cable for it.

It would be worth taking a trip into a phone shop and say "How much is a data cable for a 3310?" They'll either say "Ehh, theres no such thing" or "about £50". Saying that, I'm still fairly sure the 3310 isint data compatible. However neither was the 3210 and you could still get a data cable for that, even though you had to open the back of the phone to connect it rather than connecting the cable to a standard mounting at the base of the phone.

Theres bound to be something available on the net but I doubt theres any genuine nokia cable... there u have it, a long answer to a simple question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

you can get data cables,but dont get them in a shop there are around 70 quid where as if you buy them on the net there 15 quid sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rymus

its free for the moment, but of course u have to have a compatible phone.

SyxPak - I got both hscsd and my e-merge account setup within about 5 minutes. Just rang customer support. They are even sending me a free data cable for my phone. Saves me 50 quid anyway :)

I have a 6210, handspring visor, irlink software and windows 2000 on my pc. Do they give out the data cable for free or was it a once off with yourself..? Do i have to beg for it ?

Gav
    :D

well the guy in customer service said there was a "free data cable offer at the moment" so if u gave em a buzz and enquire about the offer you should be able to pickup a cable.

You do realise however that if u wanted to use the 6210 with windows 2k u dont need a data cable, the IR will work. I'm only getting a cable cos Ive got Win ME on my laptop and my *cough* pirate *cough* copy of Win 2k didnt come with a serial number :)

(If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, please understand that when I say pirate I actually mean legal.. It's just one of those things)

Originally posted by rymus
    well the guy in customer service said there was a "free data cable offer at the moment" so if u gave em a buzz and enquire about the offer you should be able to pickup a cable.

You do realise however that if u wanted to use the 6210 with windows 2k u dont need a data cable, the IR will work. I'm only getting a cable cos Ive got Win ME on my laptop and my *cough* pirate *cough* copy of Win 2k didnt come with a serial number :)

Yes indeed.. But I don't have an IR port.. :)

Originally posted by Verb
    Yes indeed.. But I don't have an IR port.. :)

Ahh, that could pose a problem.. probably better off to go with a cable then :)

Advertisement