Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLACKOUT suggestion

Options
  • 11-11-2001 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

First of all, if this has been suggested before, please accept my apologies: Unfortunately I haven't had time to keep up to date with this forum as of late.

I think the blackout is a great idea, and will certainly get some media attention, as well as reassure Eircom that we're still here. ;)

I believe that we can underline this if everyone who takes part calls Eircom's free 1901 number at for example 2 PM on the day of the blackout, and explains to the customer support reps there that you are taking part in the blackout, what the blackout is about, and so forth and so on.

Just think about it: thousands, or at least hundreds, of people phoning Eircom's customer support line at exactly the same time. If that doesn't get noticed, I don't know what will!

It will certainly GET THE MESSAGE HOME.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Nice idea but could it be construed as a malicious phone call or an abuse of a "telecommunications device"?

I would be surprised if there is not a law against it dating from pre Telecom Eireann written in the most arcane language :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you're polite and friendly, and don't waste their time and resources by continuously calling, I don't see how this could be illegal. Also, all you'd be doing is provide feedback that you feel an unmetered Internet service would be important.

What's wrong with phoning a company and providing some constructive feedback?

Edit: Running a company myself, I find that there is nothing more important than getting feedback from my customers. It enables me to constantly improve my services to be more tailored towards my customers needs. I would hope that Eircom also consider their customers important. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    What's wrong with phoning a company and providing some constructive feedback?

Nothing, but organising it so that hundreds phoned at a certain time might be illegal.

The Blackout is more about raising awareness of IrelandOffline amongst the general public rather than taking on Eircom. It is already a success IMHO in terms of the press coverage before it. That will continue on the day and we shouldn't do anything with Eircom that could jeopardize the excellent coverage we are getting. Eircom's legal department move at a speed unknown to the rest of the company and given the chance I think they would turn a phone blitz on the 1901 number into something like a Denial of Service attack.

Whatever the legality of it I don't think the day of the blackout is the day to try something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

€ircoms CS are not the cause of the problems and therefore shouldn't be subjected to this, IMO:)

Point taken though UW:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

My understanding of the Blackout is that we do NOT! use the phone to get on the www or whatever unless its to dial 999 and we need to. Calling Eircom (while everyone is outside it) is a bit pointless i think ? But its different and food for thought for later.

MS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm basically with everyone here. It sounds like a good idea, but being a CSR(for a different company) myself, I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that. If the plan happened I'd assume we'd all be using mobiles, so the fact we are using a phone doesn't really matter. But I think they could get us on fraudulent/disruptive use of a telephone though. Even 100 hundred people ringing their callcentre would cause them disruption, and they could argue that we are damaging their business by preventing genuine callers/customers from getting through. Nice idea UW, but a tad undoable imho. As NeilF said, try it someother day, when the people who organised it can't be pinned down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Hundreds of people calling up eircom to say exactly the same thing just like that amounts to nothing more than harrassment, and yes, there could be legal grounds for eircom taking action against IrelandOFFLine if we were to suggest or condone such actions... so I don't believe we can do so.

In a large enough form, it would be the telephone equivalent of a DoS attack... DON'T do it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I agree with Bard on this one, and although I'm not speaking on behalf of the whole committee, I am speaking as a committee member. IrelandOffline doesn't want to be seen as militant, or even disruptive. We want to achieve our goals fairly and squarely.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by MS
    My understanding of the Blackout is that we do NOT! use the phone to get on the www or whatever unless its to dial 999 and we need to. Calling Eircom (while everyone is outside it) is a bit pointless i think ? But its different and food for thought for later.
    It's a freefone number, the point of the black out is to stop Eircom, Esat and the rest from making any money from us for one day.

Perhaps, instead of organising a specific time to ring at during that day. To suggest to people to express their disgust to Eircom, Esat etc using their freefone numbers all during that day? Anytime you like. A manageable, gentle but steady amount of calls could not be viewed as a DoS?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seamus
    by preventing genuine callers/customers from getting through.
    Ehm ... but aren't we genuine customers? I know I am, and one very annoyed customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by nahdoic

It's a freefone number, the point of the black out is to stop Eircom, Esat and the rest from making any money from us for one day.

It would be naive to think that nobody makes money from freefone calls.

Anyway, - it's an idea... not an appopriate on for THIS particular protest (as it's partly about NOT using the phone at all), but one that should be (possibly) kept for a later date.

Originally posted by Bard
    It would be naive to think that nobody makes money from freefone calls.
    Well ringing the Eircom freefone number isn't going to make anyone any money ...

But if some of the committee members think we shouldn't do it, then that's enough for me. And I guess we really should go for a complete black out and not a wishy washy ... ehh don't use your phones or the net at all for a day.... but oh do you use them to complain to eircom ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks for your support nahdoic. Urban Weigl, I meant to say: nice to see you back on the boards again man. We missed you! :)

adam

Advertisement