Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat to offer DSL by April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

this is great news, but sounds a bit of a sly job ?

I mean, basically its LLU, but then again, LLU pricing is still being decided by the courts ???
    Is this just something to keep esat occupied while eircom draw up another hidden agenda ?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Great to see some hope for Limerick, Cork and Galway, but I wonder why no mention of Dublin. Maybe it's cos Esat have a fairly hefty ring of their own in place already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JaneDoe

I believe it's to do with the DPE funding. In the story Esat reference the DPE money that subsidises the rollout in designated areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Been meaning to apologise for insisting that there were requests for unbundled loops in the pipeline JaneDoe (said I'd better do it publicly :)). Let's just hope it won't be long before we see those requests, eh?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Esat has said that it has gained access to one of Eircom's exchanges and plans to offer its own DSL service in the next four months.

I like the way it suggests ESAT burgled thier way in!:D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Fergus
    Esat have a fairly hefty ring

Sorry Fergus, but this just caught my eye when I was reading your post. :)

As for the DSL by april I'd say "about bloody time" but also "dont hold your breath". Eircom are bound to pull some legal mumbo jumbo just before esat try to launch which will delay the thing for months. I know im pesimistic, but its what living in Ireland for so long has taught me. It would be nice to see. Even nicer if they rolled out everywhere except dublin :) Leave the dubs to stew for a few months... it'll do them good :P

So c'mon esat, get on with some progress and lets not have DSL going the way of No limits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

The article doesn't say what year :confused:

I hope this is true but I can't help being cynical.

It is true ElNino, the ODTR have confirmed it to us. I see your point, but I think it would be illogical for Esat to sign the agreement after months of negotiation and then not do anything. It's not beyond the bounds of belief of course, but I think we have to view this with enthusiasm. If not hope... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nucular

Sorry ando, I missed your post...

I mean, basically its LLU, but then again, LLU pricing is still being decided by the courts ???

It is, but Esat are working off the "interim" pricing set by the Regulator. If that changes - and it shouldn't - I presume Esat will have to make up the difference.

Is this just something to keep esat occupied while eircom draw up another hidden agenda ?

I don't think so ando, I think it's real progress. There aren't really that many hidden agenda's Eircom can pull out of the hat any more. They're running out of options.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Esat to offer DSL by April

adam

Sounds like an attempt to collect government grants rather than a genuine desire to offer ADSL.

Sounds like an attempt to collect government grants rather than a genuine desire to offer ADSL.

They already have government grants infomat. Their existance in the Limerick exchange is almost entirely due to the NDP (National Development Plan). And let's be honest, the only way there will be progress in the Irish comms marketplace is with investment by the Irish government. Who are we to complain about that?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

So where can I find out how much this all costs or will it just ba availible to business users for ten and a half years

Advertisement