Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Estel & Tracer Amc****Friday 23th November at the Isaac Butt

Options
  • 12-11-2001 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

please come to this gig!
    free indie club afterwards too!

****Estel & Tracer Amc****

Friday 23th November
    at the Isaac Butt : start 8pm

Estel weblink: http://www.thumped.com/estel
    Tracer Amc weblink: http:listen.to/tracer

This will be Estel's last gig before their uk tour with Bilgepump, and they'll be playing a load of new songs at this gig in preperation for the tour, so please come!

Belfast band, Tracer Amc themselves have just come back from England and Scotland, touring with the new Pelican e.p., released on Bristol’s Errol Records, part-time home of Redneck Manifesto, Cereberus Shoal and Rumah Sakit.

Here’s what Uk magazine Drowned in Sound had to say about the Pelican e.p.
    “It’s a cold, dark night. You see your breath in the air as you walk through the streets. The stars above you twinkle and you’re full of hope. No words could sum up how you feel; this is where Tracer AMC come in. Think the glorious understatement of Low, the obvious instrumental similarity with Mogwai but more so the increased orchestral development of the Come On Die Young album, the twinkling pianos of Mercury Rev (although you’ll have to imagine those pianos sounding like glockenspiels). Add a touch of Galaxie 500 and you’ll have the dream-worthy tracks of Tracer AMC. Magical.”

what some people said about the Estel records::::::

ANGLEPIE, ITHINK I ATE YOUR FACE>

"Angelpie... is virtually faultless, and when was the last time you heard a first album this good? "
    A weird, wonderful and wicked debut" [10/12]
    eamonn sweeny>hotpress

"an album brimming with confidence, packed with ideas, one which excites and emotes
    in equal measures and stands up to repeated listens effortlessly . Though this is
    what you could term 'post-rock', there is not a trace of derivativeness, as they put
    their own idiosyncratic spin on the genre"
    paul fogarty>event guide

"Dublin band Estel belong to this adventurous class of 2000, a four piece who have fashioned
    a distinctive record brimming with artful, naive soundscapes and a willingness to push the
    envelope that older, more successful bands lost the will to push many years ago"
    tony clayton lea>irish times

Future Estel gigs:

Whelans, Dublin 20/01/02 with Check Engine
    [Chicago/ ex-Sweep

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Estel are complete rubbish. I saw them a while back when they supported Damien Frost in Whelan's. The repetitive keyboards and buzzing bass really did my head in. I'm sure they'll go down great in the UK, down like the Titanic.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Appleshoe

Well I was at that gig too and I really enjoyed them.
    Oh I forgot - they don't actually sound like the frames or turn so it may be too much of a challenge for you to actually listen to them.

I know you ---- you're that guy from Trinity, yeah you're really sound:D

What have the frames and turn got to do with Estel being terrible? I didn't even mention any other bands. I don't like the frames or turn. And i certainly don't like Estel. And what do you mean i didn't listen to them. I could do nothing but listen to them. Well i could have left, but i kinda wanted to see Damien Frost.

And another thing that gets me is this upsurge of people joining boards just to plug their bands. Bands that aren't even good!

Where's the correlation between the college i attend and my musical taste?

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 trackstar

hey : killian, far enough, you think estel are rubbish, i myself think the frames are rubbish but a lot of people would disagree with me, so what how does your opinion hold? neither here nor there, whatever...
    estel themselves, would agree that that gig with damien frost was truely their worse gig ever! they had problems since the soundcheck with the sound man only giving 5 minutes to get everything set up, [the baseball fury too, NOT EVEN GETTING a sound check, the only reason damien frost had good sound was because they brought their own sound man]] he used the wrong set up and had the bass going throught the pa wrongly, wouldn't fix the levels as "he had a long day". whenever he would make it back from drinking and flirting to the sound desk it would just turn the bass off, what a man.
    if you were at the dudley coporation gig a while before, you would have seen the soundman himself in action again, making it really difficult for many to enjoy the c4o and roller/sparkers.
    he is a renowned prick. some bands won't even play if he is going to do sound.
    anyway as could probably see from the bands reaction they hated every minute of being on stage and cut the set short because of there problems.
    if this was your only time seeing them, that's a shame you saw them in such circumstances, and seeing as you took the time out to give every one your opinion of the band on this board you obviously care alot about them and shouldn't say no to going to see them some other time...
    but if you could see through the sound problems and still think they were rubbish, so what, that is your problem, [i haven't heard you talk about any other bands here on the board so i don't know what you do like]
    like appleshoe [thanks for your comment!] alot of people who saw the band play that time, thought highly of them [even though it was a bad gig], a few of them seeing the band for the first time even.

again, it's neither here nor there, whatever...

Well let's clear something up Trackstar are you or are you not Jamie, the bassist, from Estel? If so why not just come out and say it, as opposed to pretending your a friend of the band who just happens to know what a **** time they had that night. I'm not going to say how lame i think it is having people come on here and plug their own bands, oh wait i just did.

But anyway, to get back to the music. I know the sound man was terrible that night. And i saw that Damien Frost had their own sound man. That's fair enough. That might go some of the way to explaining why it sounded so bad, but in my opinion it was the songs themselves. But hey, i'm no musical fascist and people can listen to whatever they want. And if they like it, then well and good. But that's my opinion and it's not likely to change.

• Advertisement

does it matter who i am?
    i find no problem with people saying stuff about their friends bands or there own bands on message boards, that's what a lot of this board consists of and it is why a lot of bands visit message boards, to find out about bands and gigs and stuff like that, so i have no problem with posting stuff like i have...

I never said I was against people posting info about gigs. But i'm against people coming on here saying how good their own bands are, like that was a good enough reason to go see them.

Killian

did i once state my own opinion of how "good" i think estel are or aren't ? there was just as much info about tracer amc in the post as their was for estel.... the only opinions stated about estel are from paul fogarty, tony clayton lea and eamonn sweeney and i think people would value their opinion more than yours [even if they are or arent't right], thank you.

do you think estel should hire a manager to do all their promotion? would that make it all better? hmmm,

hey just a reminder about the gig, thanks....

Advertisement