Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Modem?

Options
  • 12-11-2001 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

When is the modem coming out for the PS2?

Personally I think it’s going to be way better than playing games on the PC. For one thing, NO CHEATING :D
    Also, one person won’t have an advantage over another by having a better PC.

What do you all think about online console gaming?

P.S. Will I be to use my nolimits account to play online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Phreak
    When is the modem coming out for the PS2?
    Sometime next year, as far as I know.
    Personally I think it’s going to be way better than playing games on the PC. For one thing, NO CHEATING :D
    I wouldn't be so sure - Phantasy Star Online is riddled wits cheaters, and that's for a console.
    Also, one person won’t have an advantage over another by having a better PC.
    It still won't silence the cries of "FFS LAG!!!" though, which are far more annoying :)
    What do you all think about online console gaming?
    Finger's crossed, it will be great - but i won't play a FPS without a mouse and keyboard :)

I'd love to see some online racing games and such though.
    P.S. Will I be to use my nolimits account to play online?

Maybe, maybe not. They may go the Sega way and effectively force you to dial a certain number - which is somewhat likely, seeing as Sony has signed deals with numerous global ISPs etc. There is a chance that they will let you specify your own number, as Sega did in the US.

PS: If you're looking for a list of modems that will work with Tony Hawk 3 for the PS2 (and presumably other games), click here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I was under the impression that PS2 was broadband only.
    Sony were not gonna compromise game play and graphics just so that they could have an online feature now, but prepare the PS2 for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Thanx NekkidBibleMan for all the info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah but to most people broadband is a mythical fairy land, far, far away from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's all a bit of a mess really.

Some games - example being Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 - allow you to buy a USB modem and play online using that. Others will use the official Sony modem/broadband adapter. Some will be designed for broadband, some will take modem use into account.

Whether you'll be locked into an individual network isn't known. It seems unlikely. Maybe some games (Square's PlayOnline stuff perhaps?) will make you pay monthly and some won't.

Essentially, the third parties got sick of waiting for Sony to release the network adapter and started supporting USB devices... And the chances of this turning into an unholy mess are very, very high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

personally I couldnt imagine even trying to play a PS2 game online with anything less than broadband. The last thing you need in a graphically excellent and playable game is lag (as I'm sure we all know).

I wasnt aware that a 56k modem was available for the PS2, only the broadband modem which for obvious reasons hasnt reached this country yet and may not until we get things sorted out.

The only game that should be played over a 56k connection is chess. You might even be pushing it with that in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

as shinji said it could all turn into a big mess. what i dont want to see is some games supporting certain 3rd party usb modems and other games supporting only sony's modem (broadband or 56k).

will games like Tony Hawk support sonys modem when/if it arrives??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

sorry what do you mean by 'games supporting usb modems and other games supporting only sonys modem'

I play a bit of TFC with some of the people at work and 3 of them are on dial ups - I am on a networked cable modem and two are on usb cable modems.

I assume that sonys modem will be some sort of network modem. ala my cable modem.

Are you saying that in a console game you have to specify what hardware device they are going to use ? I would have thought it should be intellegent enough to simply know that there was a net connection and use that.

please forgive my lack of knowlege about hardward/networks

Advertisement