Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra uses for mobile phones

• 12-11-2001 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

No, not more capability, not more functionality, not more distractions, not more games. More gadgets.

I can understand the idea of a bigger light or dare I say the mirror (for CS), but some of this stuff is off the wall.

Any further suggestions?
    http://news1.iwon.com/article/id/185039|oddlyenough|11-12-2001::07:58|reuters.html

Cellphone Users Want More Functions?
    November 12, 2001 7:55 am EST

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - In high-tech Scandinavia mobile phone users would like their handsets to perform a variety of tasks, the Swedish daily newspaper Dagens Nyheter reported on Sunday.
    Suggestions received by the newsletter MOBIL ranged from a simple small flap-up mirror for busy women doing their make-up on the run to advanced gadgets such as a fire alarm for executives staying at hotels, the paper said.

Another idea was to equip cellphones with a small stick with which weight-conscious users could penetrate their hamburger or salad to measure calories.

MOBIL's readers also said they would like handsets that could measure elevation, wind force and air pressure as well as mobile phones with a built-in flashlight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I wish my mobile phone would enable me to fly! I tried it once and i got a broken arm for my trouble :( Failing that how about mobile phones that have the ability to teleport anywhere you want to go or maybe one that shots a death ray?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I know the handset market's kinda slow at the moment, but ain't that a bit desperate of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Its a fu<king mobile phone IE for making phone calls while being mobile, its not a fu,king vanity set. So go away women.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

how about a phone that can send a short message, in text form from one phone to the next, much like a fax machine, only without the paper. no, no. with paper otherwise i would forget what was sent to me.

oh a phonebook would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    how about a phone that can send a short message, in text form from one phone to the next, much like a fax machine, only without the paper. no, no. with paper otherwise i would forget what was sent to me.

You mean like Telex? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Howsabout a mobile phone that actually works...

stupid Motorola piece of ****:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gaarz

I know this girl who has one of those vibrating Nokia 6210s. She uses it as a v...!!!

All well and good until she gives herself cancer.

Kindly remember that the eyes, mouth, cuts and grazes and other sensitive areas don't have the same level of skin (and therefore radiation) protection that, say, the hands have. Consequently its not a good idea to chew on the aerial of a mobile phone (or any other emitter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

If want to measure the calories in your food then you should be looking for a gadget that does that specifically though i doubt its as simple as sticking something into a burger, it seems that this person has just assumed this can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie
    I wish my mobile phone would enable me to fly! I tried it once and i got a broken arm for my trouble

You are getting your advert's mixed up. I believe their their is a drink that will help you in your wish to fly. I can't think of the name of it at them moment 'Red ___' . The male version of a cow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Mobile Phone = Long distance self-defense device...

...get one in the side of the head and yer ear will be ringing for ages :)

Ba$tardo la Mobilo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Dya remember when mobilephones came out first they were big heavy boxy things, and if u got into a fight, you could smack someone with it, holding the long rubber arial, and they stayed smacked (tho it usuaslly broke the phone).

These little mobile phones today are to light to bash people with, and they dont have a good long arial, to get a good swing at someone.

Couldnt soneone bring out a rubber gripped mobile with a baseball bat like top, say 10 in' long that was shock proof?

Then if u get picked up by the guards, it is not a weapon, but a phone! (Kinad like carrying a metal biro in your pocket all the time).

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yes. That wouldn't be at all nice.

'Ah pity the Foo that stuffs that chicken'

Phones that ran on kinetic, solar and bio energy. And used less power to transmit and recieve.
    How come 803.11b uses a fraction of the energy to deliver 11MB/sec while GSM can only get 33.6 ??? Hrmm?

Also, that you could just plug em into any PC and talk to em. Not have to pay £150 for a cable and bit of official software that can be gotten for £0 on the net. WTF can a Nokia 3310 only hold about 20 text messages?

WTF are they capped to 200 characters? It's not like it'll cost the networks a whole lot mroe if they upped it to say 250 at least. Cost fupppin more just to connect then it does to send, afaik.
    10p for a text message, ffs. I ask you......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

maybe if meteor gets a bit more coverage over the country there'll be some proper price wars 8)

Oh wait, this is Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    How come 803.11b uses a fraction of the energy to deliver 11MB/sec while GSM can only get 33.6 ??? Hrmm?

To get through all the obstacles like trees and buildings, it needs more power, that radio stuff requires LOS for any distances greater than a few hundred metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ripped from Static:
    Oh wait, this is Ireland...

Yeah, I know :(

Fekkin '5p for 5mins, 6p for 6, 7 for7...."
    Then 7 hours later....£4.20 for a decent online time @ 28.8....£15 for NTL cable 128 down.....

B4sterds....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

eircom are pulling the wool over your eyes...

5p for 1 second
    5p for 2 seconds
    5p for 3 seconds

DBC, new sig
    V
    V
    V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Once on a balcony when the mobile fell out of the hand and hit the ground below ... still waiting for that dropped call compensation from esat.

phones that defy the laws of gravity would last longer i thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

oh and if esat digifone get one more survey company to as questions im going to have to get a 1580 number

• Advertisement
Advertisement