Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

r.e.m., time to pack it in?

Options
  • 13-11-2001 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

im a little bored.. so ill rant.

The first album i ever bought was Out of Time, ever since i have been 10 i've been a fan, i've travelled to see them, have about a hundred bootlegs. Since they released Reveal, i just got the feeling that there is nothing but mundane boring music since bill berry left the band in 97. although at times for me Up was a good album, but reveal, with exception of a very catchy 'imitation of life' which is just fun because it's so disposable, but the album past that is such a bore. if anyone hasn't heard reveal, im willing to part with my copy anyhow.

i have no idea why i typed that, im bored i tells ya!

and how did reveal get 5/5 in Q.. that magazine has really gone downhill in the last year or 2 though.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

REM after Green = pants
    can you say Ignoreland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭twoheadedcow

REM in the 80's are almost a different band from the 90's version.

still though, there is some good stuff after green. but the early IRS stuff is brilliant. murmur is my favourite 'first' album by a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Got to agree with ya nothing new coming from the REM front I think it is probably time they retire their rich asses. Never the biggest fan but they did some good stuff, made their contribution I think you are right time is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Interesting, i honestly have a completely opposite view.

I thought "imitation for life" was a bit typical of REM but
    i've since found the rest of the album to be great. i love
    "the rain came", it's an anthem that me and my mates sang
    in a soggy tent one night at witnness. "all the way to reno"
    is a really good single too. other great ones are track 2 and
    the closing track. one of my albums of the year definately.

i'm not a fan and haven't liked much of their work since
    Automatic except the song E-Bow and Up was an improvement but they definately hit my buzz with this one.

worthy of 5/5 ? yes
    retire? gracefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

I don't know why REM bother making music anymore...they've been writing the same song for the last 8 years or so...apart from the "Monster" interlude they have showed us that they have as much imagination as Big Tom and the Mainliners.

They're a good 'singles' band...mainly because if you buy the albums you get sick of the repitition.

Just for the record, I was an REM fan, and they are one of the best live bands, but I can't see why I should buy anymore of their albums because they're not exciting anymore.

Someone tell me what I'm missing out on that I haven't heard already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Busby

Interesting. (scratches chin)

I see where you're coming from but not sure I agree that the band have become stale since Green or Out Of Time. I'm a fan of REVEAL, I think there are a lot of beautiful songs on it. I echo what Knobbles said pretty much too. When I first got UP I was playing it all the time and then a year or two passed where I probably didn't play it at all. I can see a similar pattern emerging with REVEAL. That's just the way I am with music, I guess it's weird. I'm always afraid that I'll ruin a good thing. I did overkill with OK COMPUTER and couldn't be bothered listening to it for nearly five years. Now I'm listening to it as if it's a new album- getting into the songs again.
    Oh f u c k I'm not making a blind bit of sense am I>? No, I still think REVEAL is a beautiful album, as was UP, as was NEW ADVENTURES IN HI-FI. Maybe it's a fair assumption to say that none of these albums reach the magnificence of AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

REM reminds me of the days of peer pressure, if you were INTO them then you were "cool"

theres nothing cool about REM, even if the odd new song was good, as was said earlier, different decade different band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by Busby
    I did overkill with OK COMPUTER and couldn't be bothered listening to it for nearly five years.

You can Overkill on OK Computer?

Oh right stick to topic!

I hav'nt heard Reveal and to be honest I don't know if I want to. I really think REM where at there best years ago if they keep releasing albums there going to continue on there slippery slope to the pits of pop music. They should quit now and be happy that they have given us albums like, Murmur, Automatic for hte People and so on.

Advertisement