Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 13-11-2001 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I use the 1800 access numbers a lot to call abroad thru international calling cards/systems. What would the Ireland Offline view be of me using this access number on the blackout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Don't think that because it's a 1800 number and FREE to the person DIALLING the number, that Eircom don't make anything out of it.

They make even MORE money from 1800 numbers than they do from regular numbers.

The company who own the 1800 number pay extra rental for it on top of their normal line rental and THEY pay Eircom (instead of the callers) for every call made TO that number.

...=> therefore, I think making calls to 1800 numbers should be boycotted just as much as any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hmmm good point, I'm not thinking of the bigger picture.

(Amazing to think of how much Eircom is making on freephone numbers as they charge the owners of the 1800 no. 10p per minute more charge if 1800 is phoned from a coin box and 27p per minute if the 1800 is phoned from a mobile phone.

These guys are shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You said it Gordon!

Yes, Niall is exactly right, it really doesn't matter who you're dialling up to and how, it's going to be making someone in the Irish telecommunications business money. Even if you're using a cable telephone service, we need to say to NTL that they need to get the finger out too...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I suppose the exclusions include ESAT & Meteor Mobile phones as well:)

But what about eircell? They are owned by vodafone now!

Perhaps we need to clarify the mobile telephony sector and the usage on Friday.

Are they included or not? Eircom have nothing to do w/ Mobiles nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, ahem, we know who I work for so.....yeah eircom have nothing to do with us anymore(In fact, by next Chrimbo we won't even be called eircell anymore), so I would think that mobys are definitely in. Besides if you ask companies to boycott their landlines, they realistically have to communicate somehow, and most companies have company mobiles, so that's what they should use. Seeing as I moved out recently, and have no landline whatsoever at home, the only way I can contribute will be to not use our (free) phone in work, and to urge my parents/brothers to do the same, which will be easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement