Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ocing

• 29-05-2000 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right ive a p2 400 ive overclocked it so far 68mh i wana get about 100 mh more from it bringing the total speed up to about 500 mh how do i do it . the multiplyier speed seems to be doing nothing dono why but it dosent seem to change anything . any ids how to do this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Dont know about P2s but Celerons have a locked multiplyer so I had to change the bus speed of my m/board to get it from 400 to 500 mhz. P2s may be the same but if you blow up your chip dont blame me. Read somehwere that some p2s are unoverclockable but no doubt the likes of kali or koopa will tell you differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Overclockabilty depends on a few things, especially when you're doing it via the BUS (Which as Tincool said is how you'll have to do it - the CPu's are clockX locked). As you increase the bus speed you're increasing the PCI and memory bus speeds aswell (And AGP if you have it). So while your CPu might take the straing, one of your other components might not.
    Aswell as that some CPUs are just of better quality than others, some will go high, some wont. Its pot luck (unless you tune into the forums and get quality batch numbers...A lot of hastle...)

Do you mean you have it at 468Mhz (4x117), or the bus at 68Mhz (Giving 408(6x68) - This is what I presume you mean)?
    For that CPu you should have 100Mhz Ram and FSB, so it's be 4xFSB speed, to get 500Mhz you'd need 4x125..Starting to push things....
    If for some strange reason you are running on a 66Mhz FSB CPU, then you'll need 6x83Mhz...Doable, but some Vid cards dont like being pushed that high (As your PCI=41Mhz, AGP=83Mhz).

Get SoftFSB (Dont have a link handy, but its easy enough to find) and use that to play around.

Just make sure you keep your case/CPu cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

468Mhz (4x117) is the one that im using . i noticed the agp thing and set it to 2/3 im going to give it another try and also find a nice little fan to put onto my graphics card .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

gerry thx i knew that but when i got it to say it was a 533 it crashed loading windows and then whe i restarted the computer it wouldent let me into the bios it kept crashing from that point the chip dident seem hot at the time and the graphics card did . but i dont mind buying the cooling stuff all i need to know is the right stuff to get any ids ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i cant see it lasting to long at 533 no matter how many fans you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Eek
    Shoulda put it in the fridge

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 31-05-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

cheapy plastic packaging.
    now you know where AMD cut the corners smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

elexes, fairly obviously what you have to do is find the next bus speed up from 117.
    The multiplier is locked at 4. Its quite possible to get it to 500 or more, but it would require a lot of cooling.

Advertisement