Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far can you customise?

• 13-11-2001 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I have an idea for a map I want to do (custom map) but I want to know something before I start otherwise it ain't worth it......

Can you have uploadable custom skins you can force into use on the server? I.E. The CT will not show as police but rather ordinary characters I can design etc.

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well ][cEMAN, Half-Life is a very versatile game... Almost all new mods created have some form of custom thing implemented...

Best examples I can give off the top of my head are Science & Industry and "They Hunger 1&2"... They use various different skins for enemies and allies, along with new character voices etc... Also you can create and use your own textures to create whatever type of level you desire...

So whatever you want to make, it's possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Correct me if I'm wrong ][ce but I think you missed the point ropedrink. I believe he wants to create a map and then force players who load the map to use his preset models for the characters. While still playing CS ;)

I believe you CAN do that but it requires editing the options on the server. As to how you go and do this, is completely beyond me. Ask some server jockey to help you out.

If this isnt what you were talking about then just complete me ignore me and make fun of me while I slide off into the shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

in a word, no.
    you would have to make a cs mod to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

heheheh ye u can do this . dont have a clue how but i connected to some server a while ago and lo and behold i was killed by a alien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

also me gun was different and had lazor dots on em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by elexes
    also me gun was different and had lazor dots on em

are you SURE it was cs? not a weird n0obar mod loike firearms or sumthing?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

In that can't "Force" people to download your skins etc, but if they have the cl_allowdownload switched on, and all those options, then they'll grab things like sprites etc, but Im not sure if they download full skins seeing as they overwrite your old ones...

Only real way to do it is to create your own Mod (Which is what I referred to in my previous post)

Forcing people to download stuff is like an invasion of privacy, and they shalt sue thine ass for millions of monneh's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well now y'see the reason I asked this was because I wanted to do a map es_xavier where I have X-men characters protecting the Xavier skin from the base of the xavier mansion to the attic or something (Bit like X-Men adventure from spiderman and his amazing friends).

I can get to work at doing the mansion but it just wouldn't be as much fun without the skins.

As for creating my own mod - well the folks at planethalflife are already watching the X-Mod mod of halflife which started as the X-Men but has turned into some stupid clone (Probably due to copywrite restrictions)

It would be a bit like CS_MANSION but only an escape map (Haven't had a decent one in ages) and it would be at least 3 or more levels within the mansion with 2 sub levels and the T's starting outside the mansion coming in to defend (Not like oilrig where the T's spawn beside the CTs at start)

It would also be larger than the general floor size of mansion...well it would be a big map anyway that's for sure.

Have you noticed the fact that little to no escape / VIP maps have been made since Beta5 and before!?

They've drastically dropped in popularity and when they are put on servers people generally leave when the map gets switched.

I think it's an awful shame, and think we should make a few of our own...

The oldest ones look so shabby and awful, but with a bit of work and some seriously gorgeous textures, we could bring them back to life by making our own spicy escape / VIP maps!

I hope the map works out for you Ice, it'll be a stepping stone in the diminishing existance of these types of maps...

Advertisement