Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPviaSAT connection

Options
  • 13-11-2001 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I received this today from StarSpeeder.co.uk. Sorry if it's been posted before.

High Speed Internet Access

You may recall that earlier this year you expressed an interest in a Satellite delivered Internet service, by registering on the Starspeeder web site. Since then a number of events have substantially altered the nature of the initial proposal.

Whilst the Starspeeder Service was groundbreaking in concept, CBL, the Luxemburg based operators, were not able to sustain the development costs. Following their closure, we have spent considerable time and effort looking for alternatives. Our first priority was to ensure that any service offered, would be sustainable, with quality and download speed coming a close joint second.

IPviasat
    Launched on November 1st, IPviasat is the first of a series of Internet via Satellite services and is specifically targeted at residential, leisure time users requiring a high-speed, connection to the net.

We can offer this facility because we have negotiated to directly purchase off peak Bandwidth from Dutch company Xantic who operate a very high quality service to corporate customers. Their well-established DVB platform, routing and uplink facility is based in Hilversum with a prime connection to the Amsterdam Internet Exchange.

Because we are using off peak bandwidth, the service will be available from 5pm to 8am weekdays and 24 hours Saturday / 24 hours Sunday.

Download speed is capped at 512kbs at all times. As user numbers are limited, it is rarely slower than 256kbs even at times of high congestion.

A fundamental requirement for any service is the ability to match revenue to volume of data downloaded. Consequently, the maximum amount of data available for download within the monthly subscription period is 1000Mbytes.

At say 400kbps, 1000Mbytes of data will allow for continuous downloading for over 5 hours. Given that most browsing downloads take only a few seconds (especially at 400kbps!!) this should be more than adequate for all but the most ardent users. This combination of high speed and limited volume makes the service ideal for fast browsing but is obviously not suitable to those wanting to stream very large video files (e.g. DVDs) for long periods.

Monthly subscription is £19.98 (£17.00 plus VAT) and is strictly limited to one per MAC address. Minimum subscription period is one month. (No quarterly or annual advance charges). If however a subscription is cancelled and re-started, a £15.00 account set up charge will be incurred.

You will also need to purchase a DVD card and have a 60cm Dish installed on the Sirius Satellite at 5 degrees east. The Pentanet Card with Dish / LNB package is available at the special price of £144.95.

Visit the IPviasat website now for full details of IPviasat.

IPviaSat service details
    Satellite Sirius 2

Location 5 degrees east
    Frequency 11.727 Ghz
    Polarisation Horizontal
    FEC 3/4
    Symbol Rate 27500
    Unicast PID 340 (Decimal)
    Dish Size 60cm UK 80cm Ireland

For dish alignment, it may be useful to note that on Sirius 2, an analogue transmission showing either a Test Card with Sirius 5 east logo, or a program with Cyprus Sat ID in the top corner is available on 12.265 Mhz Horizontal.

IPviaSat is one of a number of services available from Internet Via Satellite Ltd which is a company jointly owned by Trac Communications and LRN.
    Internet via Satellite Ltd.
    Unit 3B
    Whitehouse Road Industrial Estate
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    NE15 6LN
    http://www.ipviasat.net

JamworkS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

It is only a one-way system so don't throw away your modem!

Also the download limit of 1GB per month is quite small for a broadband connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Originally posted by ElNino
    It is only a one-way system so don't throw away your modem!

Also the download limit of 1GB per month is quite small for a broadband connection.

I know, it's a ****e connection, but cheap enough though (monthly wise, even though the satellite card costs £144). I would subscribe if they offer me no caps connection.

JamworkS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

IPviaSAT is still Trac, and I wouldn't buy a service form them again even if they did uncap it for the £20, something they definatly said wouldn't be happening.

http://www.digio.co.uk/satnode.htm
    UK£135/ 3 months is the cheapest you'll find an uncapped one way service for (the bottom thing on that page).

Also, it's worth noting that for UK£5 more per month, i.e. £25, Xantic themselves sell a 2GB/month version of ipviasats thing.

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by bkehoe
    IPviaSAT is still Trac, and I wouldn't buy a service form them again even if they did uncap it for the £20, something they definatly said wouldn't be happening.

The wounds of war still open.:)

I read the Starspeeder thing as pretty much all CBL's fault. maybe 80/20?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Did CBL cause Trac to run away from the situation, shutting down their message boards, moderating them when the service had problems so that ppl couldn't post about probems, e.t.c. The fellow who is running ipviasat recently posted about it in a message board, answered a few questions, and when was asked about refunds for starspeeder disappeared, and was never seen there again. ;)

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

But the admin of starspeeder was never prepared for the complete dissertation of CBL.

CBL just decided to close up shop and ignore the crap they had created.

i agree that SS reacted very poorly.

But why ask about refunds?..there is no money, its all gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

they [IPVIASAT] also promote channel 18, the sex channel.

interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Have a look at this: http://www.educom.ie

They've got a few ads in this months Computerscope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thought this thread would feel more at home in Net/Comms.

adam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    Have a look at this: http://www.educom.ie

They've got a few ads in this months Computerscope.

3 gig monthly limit and 3p per meg over that. 500 Euros for installation, 99 Euros a month Subscription and 65 Euros per Month on top of that for Equipment Lease over 3 years and VAT on top of all that. Ehhhh no thanks! I'd rather Europeonline's 150 Euros per YEAR unlimited download only service with the PC card (DVB) Free with the first years sub!

• Advertisement
Advertisement