Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harry potter

Options
  • 14-11-2001 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

i found the book much more enjoyable than the film (as good as it is). what are your thoughts. are books 2, 3 and 4 as good as the first??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The books get better and better, IMHO.

They get slightly darker, slightly less "kiddie", and longer.

All in all, I think they remain "easy reading" for an adult, and from an ultra-critical level, they are not that brilliantly written style-wise.

However, the ideas and stories are superb, and the style is pleasant. It all gels to gether well, producing a good read.

If you liked the first one, then keep going.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm not sure if it's deliberate, or just due to her own style gradually emerging in the books, but Rowling's books seem to be becoming more and more mature as you go along - both in terms of writing style and content.

I loved the series the whole way through, and found them to be some of the most superbly entertaining books I've read in years; but there's no doubt that by the time you get to Goblet of Fire, the writing and the storylines are on a whole different level to what they were in The Philosopher's Stone.

Most interestingly, she's pulling together all the strings of the series very well indeed; it's obvious that she had all seven books thought out before she put ink to paper, which is quite a feat. Passages in Book Four suddenly make sense of things in Book One... I love it when a series of novels does that, it gives a very complete and rewarding feel to the whole thing.

As bonkey says, if you enjoyed the first one, definitely keep going. You won't regret it. Even if the first one didn't really float your boat, it's worth ploughing onwards; Goblet of Fire in particular is a masterpiece, and you really need to read the previous books to enjoy it fully.

Advertisement