Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help files not appearing

• 31-05-2000 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

I still have an issue with none of my Help files opening. This is happening with *.HLP files (not the HTML help)

They are not even giving an error message, just failing to open. There is a quick switch to the hourglass pointer while it tries to open them, then back to a normal mouse pointer, as if it had succeeded.

It's NT4 btw.

Has anyone seen this before, know how to fix it?

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Most .hlp file have a corresponding .gid file of the same name afaik.
    Check if its there and if not check another pc that has it working. If yes, copy the *****r accross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cheers for the help Canaboid. I managed to sort it out.

My version of winhlp32.exe (303Kb) was replaced at some stage (probably by some installer) by a smaller (24Kb) executable of the same name. (The original was moved to WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$)

The original version, which I have now back in my Winnt\system32 directory, works fine. I don't know when the smaller one was reinstalled (it definitely wasn't during a Service Pack install despite the location), but I'm virus scanning the whole system anyway.

Cheers,

Alastair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I had a similar problem with Win98, winhlp32.exe was doing nothing, I noticed the exe was a few KB's smaller than the original .cab version.
    After replacing it over and over, I finaly did a virus scan, and bob's your uncle- there was a virus effecting that and other files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Deado,

that's what I expected ... but... I did a full scan (ie every file type) with VirusScan NT with the latest definitions (ie as of yesterday), no joy, no viruses found. I was certainly convinced it wasn't a software upgrade... maybe I should dl Norton or something to check it out again.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I had a similar problem on 98, PEMarburg was infecting winhlp32 and making it give out of memory errors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement