Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia is with you !!!!!!

Options
  • 14-11-2001 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

The whole of the Australian Broadband community is with you on your Blackout day.
    We are currently up against similar odds in Oz.

I do hope Ireland does well out of this.

For a link to the brotherhood.
    www.whirlpool.net.au

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks for the message of support Bunyip3. I was trying to post on your own forum to clarify a couple of things, but unfortunately the registration forum is titsup. I'll try again later.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

G'day! :D

That's quite a site you've got there, and cheers for the
    giving us the top news story!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Front-page news, cool!

Thanks Bunyip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

a bit off-topic but 2 more sites where blackout is mentioned:

here
    and
    there

A German mention here

it can be translated here (not sure about exact translation)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

I'm in Australia at the moment and have been over here for about a year now. While in Australia I have worked for 2 of the Telco's !. iPrimus and 2. Optus. The state of broadband and highspeed access in Australia is nearly as bad as Ireland but they are making progress :( but the main difference is their dial-up service. I don't know if anyone knows the way their phone service works over here but it's like this: When you make a phonecall from a home phone it costs between 15 to 22 cents depending on your telco, but that 20 cents is for the call that's it, you can stay on for 10 mins or 4 hours and the call will still only cost 20 cents!!!!!

I worked for the tech support department of iPrimus for a few months and the amount of calls we would get about people having to dial in about 3 times to connect or getting disconnected after 2 hours!!! I felt like screaming at them that in Ireland I would have to dial in about 6/7 times to get online then I would get cut of every 10 minutes. So while they pay 50 odd cents for a few hours access we pay 2 or 3 pound(sorry no pound symbol on ozzie keyboards) for less than an hour!!!! Why can't *ircom offer this service??? Also as far as I can remember *ircom owns something like 40% percent of Telstra
    (check out their website for the similarities ) so they are swindling user all over the world now(don't quote me on this one I think I read this somewhere)

I know a couple of Aussie lads who have said they would take down their sites in protest for support. I don't know the URLs though sorry. So this blackout has now gone global!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Our own fair Justin, who's also in Australia, reckons that there aren't *any* metered Internet services in Oz, and stu_69's comments would seem to back that up. So much for "not viable". I mean, if it's viable in Oz...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Hey g'day to all ye guys/shebas in Aussi land its really great to hear from ye. I have a few realations way down yonder and we were talking about the ISP's in Ireland and how ye seem to have the same problem/s. Its really nice to have ye on board mate.... nice one :)

MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

this is fantastic, surely now eircom will take us serisouly if it gets TRUE internationl support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by stu_69
    I'm in Australia at the moment and have been over here for about a year now. While in Australia I have worked for 2 of the Telco's !. iPrimus and 2. Optus. The state of broadband and highspeed access in Australia is nearly as bad as Ireland but they are making progress :( but the main difference is their dial-up service. I don't know if anyone knows the way their phone service works over here but it's like this: When you make a phonecall from a home phone it costs between 15 to 22 cents depending on your telco, but that 20 cents is for the call that's it, you can stay on for 10 mins or 4 hours and the call will still only cost 20 cents!!!!!

up to 5 years ago it was the same in ireland. ive no idea how the people allowed them to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    up to 5 years ago it was the same in ireland. ive no idea how the people allowed them to change that
    No, it was not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement