Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Connections with Eircom "free" service

Options
  • 14-11-2001 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

:mad:

I have a persistent problem with the so-called Eircom "free" service. I regularly have to connect three or more times before I get an active connection. For each "dead" connection, my computer won't send or receive bytes but the connection icon is displayed. Because Eircom has a 5p min charge for local calls, this means that it can cost me up to 20p to get connected each time, even when I only want to check e-mails, an operation that normally takes less than a couple of minutes.
    With all connections, I have got in to the habit of checking the IP address: 159.134.220.xxx. What I have noticed is, that for each dead connection the concluding digit string (xxx) is almost invariably, two digits long, eg 75. With each subsequent attempt to connect, it rises. Active connections, almost invariably have a three digit concluding string.
    I don't mind if my attempt to connect fails because the server is busy and I get a "no answer" message. However, I am seriously annoyed by having to pay for a dead connection.
    Could somebody tell me if this is a general Eircom scam, or is it just a problem that is specific to my connection/computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I get the exact same problem with Oceanfree and Eircom (although more often with Oceanfree). It is really annoying as you say ... sometimes though I find that if you open up the command prompt, and type "ping yahoo.com" that will sometimes get the net activity going again, i have no idea why. But if it returns saying cannot resolve host then it usually means you won't get any net activity out of the connection, and you'll have to drop it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's been touted as a scam at the moment in the UK, albeit for different reasons. Many of the ISP's taking advantage of FRIACO are complaining - some of them in quite a whingey manner, which isn't helping their cause - that a recent "network upgrade" in BT has results in rising complaints about bad and dropped connections by their subscribers. The behaviour you describe - and I've suffered this myself with my multiple ISDN connections, particularly UTV and BuyandSell.net - is one of the key problems they're suffering with.

BT contends that the network upgrade was necessary to improve quality of service to dial-up customers, however the other ISP's claim that it was to improve QoS for BT customers, and reduce QoS for users of other services. The main complainant is threatening to file a complaint with Oftel, the Regulator in the UK, but it's not apparent if this has actually been done.

In Ireland of course, the "conspiracy" is slightly different, in that, as you suggest, Eircom could be seen by many to be trying to boost revenues in a dodgy, even illegal, manner. I'm certainly not to say that outright, but I would suggest that you file a complaint with the ODTR on the matter, and copy it to Eircom. Without a complaint, the ODTR probably can't investigate.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by nfheadar
    Could somebody tell me if this is a general Eircom scam, or is it just a problem that is specific to my connection/computer.

Seriously: Have you tried contacting Eircom tech support?

Once, a long time ago, I had a similar problem with IOL and I rang up ready to gleefully tell them about a problem with their network. Turned out the fault was with me and one rogue checkbox :o

Whilst it may be Eircom who is at fault there's no harm in letting them have a go at fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

I have the same problems with all isps i have used. I rang up eircom and there respone was you have sound in your lines :/. I dont really know what that means but ive had this problem for the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Have had the exact same problem myself started maybe 8 months ago,i thought at first it might have been a problem with my pc or my internet configuration but ive since moved to linux and have the same problem,its a huge pain in the ass and i dont see why i have to pay for their stupidity.

im realy loosing the plot with these assh*les and have had to cut back my internet use to maybe an hour a day,which means it can take me days at a time to get large files that i need for my job.

i cant justify my internet bill being so large for maybe 20 hours net access a week,when the last bill came in i changed my fone line to esat.im waiting for some eircom rep to ring to ask why so i can give him or her an earfull ;)

im actully agravated at the state of net access in ireland,its screwing up the way i do my job.on the one hand i have to advise my clients to get isdn so they have a 'better' connection speed and on the other i have to advise them to expect considerable high charges,and that it is in fact a rip off.

if i am onsite and have to download lets say service packs a couple patches,maybe a demo app from our main site.it can take the best part of half a day,we've even been in situations where we've gotten a courier to deliver applications to save time and money,ive had to work late waiting on downloads its unbelievable and god help any kind of eircom rep,or goverment rep that tells me other wise.

im sick of the bullsh*t,the lies,the extortion,and the people that are making vast amounts of money from all of the above,im thinking of donating whatever money i save from using the internet less to irelandofflines advertising fund ;)

maon moan moan etc (apoligies just needed to bitch i suppose:)

wheh

• Advertisement
Advertisement