Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Pinging websites

Options
  • 14-11-2001 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

My problem is this:

When I connect with either Indigo/oceanfree I usually get anywhere from 46.0-50.0kbps connection.But despite this the web pages are very slow to load.I know 56k is nothing special but lately they are slower than normal.IS it possible to ping certain sites(like you do for gaming) to see what I get back and if so what is a reasonable time.Or is there something else I have missed.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Might wanna ask on the Nets/Comms or Tech board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Make sure you are using the correct DNS settings for your isp.

You can usually find the primary and secondary DNS addresses on the ISP's support site.

Go to

My Computer--> Dial Up networking

right click on your connection ---> properties --> Server types
    > tcp/ip Settings button

Make sure you have 'Specify Name Server Addresses' and that the dns servers for your ISP are inputted there.

(All thats assuming win95/98, tis slightly different for 2k/ME)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by beomont
    IS it possible to ping certain sites(like you do for gaming) to see what I get back and if so what is a reasonable time.

On a Windows box you can run a ping from Start>Run

For example ping www.boards.ie

My average for boards.ie was 268ms from a NoLimits connection

Also, you might like to try this link to see what it reports as your connection speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Snaga
    Make sure you are using the correct DNS settings for your isp.

You can usually find the primary and secondary DNS addresses on the ISP's support site.

That should be done automatically, so it's better to leave it set to pick up the dynamic addresses.

To improve your transfer rates you should make sure you have a proxy server configured. In IE click on Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections. Then select the connection and click on settings. Enter in the proxy server and the port. Indigo's is:

webcache.indigo.ie:82

Advertisement