Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie

Options
  • 15-11-2001 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    just wonderin how much it would cost to get these type of boards installed on a server and what type of server would that have to be, like what formats would it have to support, also would any of ya be able to do it?
    We are thinking of getting it for ITT Karting Society site but just wonderin the costs etc'

Gideon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

There are loads of these out there for free. There's a really fully-featured one (a bit too much IMHO) on http://yabb.xnull.com
    You'll need a server that supports PHP and a MySQL database server too (I think).
    Most of them come with an installation manual and if you follow that it shouldn't be too tough.

If you're willing to go with Java I'd highly recommend Jive (http://www.jivesoftware.com) Check it out in action over at http://forum.java.sun.com
    It hasn't many features but it's nice and clean and fast. Very customisable too.

I installed three different boards recently (I'm writing something that can be used as a message board).

YaBB - Perl based, feeping creaturism, installation: editing source, chmoding etc.
    Nice but the pages are a little too "busy" also too many options in admin, wayyy too many options.

vBulletin lite - PHP, free, no features, easy enough to install enter a few details and click a few byttons.
    Just a message board, nothing else. (lite version of these boards)

Jive - Servlets/JSP, simple features, install couldn't be simpler. Drop a file into your webserver, restart and fill in a few config details through a nice browser interface.
    Really nice, pluggable, comes with custom tag library. Skinnable.
    Fast (built-in cache)

Basically if you want to install anything that's any good look for a server that supports PHP and MySQL or another database.

Alternatively there are places that will host the message board and you can "include" it into your page, in that case make sure your server can handle SSI (Server-Side Includes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

grand, mmmm i downloaded that vbulltin lite thingy already, do ya not need My Sql thingy for it? cos we're not allowed that here in the college for some reason and i's gots' to get special permission to use PHP or something which is gey, like even if i get that done then, i don't really know php, soooooooooo could be a waste of time.

Alan.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why not request a board from us and link to it or frame it in?

Ireland Offline do this as do the Radio forums etc...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Or alternatively, get compsoc.com to set a board up for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by DeVore
    Why not request a board from us and link to it or frame it in?

Ireland Offline do this as do the Radio forums etc...

DeV.

The year is 2010... The last independent forum becomes hosted by boards.ie.gov. DeVore, Cloud and others have transferred their brains to optical storage to maintain the boards. eircom promises cheap adsl in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by amp
    The year is 2010... The last independent forum becomes hosted by boards.ie.gov. DeVore, Cloud and others have transferred their brains to optical storage to maintain the boards. eircom promises cheap adsl in 2011.

Omg classic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ROFFLE Amp - you're some can of piss! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

Originally posted by amp

its funny cause its true

big up, amp

jaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

amp test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    amp test

arn't you supposed to post this right after amp posts?? or have i got this whole amp test thing wrong?

• Advertisement

:D
    Thanks for the offer all the same. Mmm nope i want my own board that i can customise and intergrate into the site. I love the layout of these and those ezboards which i got at the moment but there servers usually dodgy and those ad's worse than most.

I'd also like to learn a ickle about them, just installin and the like.

Mmm, what else ah ya, the college servers don't let ya use my sql so that one gone. They got PHP and that but ya gotta request it or something. I forget that free server that eveyone uses that has the cgi bin, everytime i look for space there, they aren't takin any new members.

Thanks for your adivce anyway,
    Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by Gideon2000

Mmm, what else ah ya, the college servers don't let ya use my sql so that one gone. They got PHP and that but ya gotta request it or something. I forget that free server that eveyone uses that has the cgi bin, everytime i look for space there, they aren't takin any new members.

Have you tried Tallaght Compsoc as someone suggested,
    seeing as your webpage account is hosted ther and all.

Most compsocs let people run CGIs including php and databses.

G'luck,

- Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

i know this is an old topic . but incase anyone reads them , here is my 2c .

you should check . http://www.infopop.com/ for UBB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

yeah infopop had to be the most popular ubb system around a few years ago. I really liked their old ones, they'd make static HTML pages for members to view the threads so they'd load a lot faster and would be a lot easier on the server hosting them. But then vBulletin came and offered a truckload of more features using dynamic pages with php ... and i think vBulletin is the most popular now? Although infopop's latest one is just as good as vBulletin's now, with the same sorts of features.

But if it's just gonna be a small site, why not go with a free one? here's a good one http://www.ikonboard.com/

Tried UBB before but it needed perl or somethin?! i ferget, anyhew it wasn't supported whatever it was. There only cgi-bin provided on the server.

nahdoic that link crashes explorer everytime i tried it. Couldn't load it in netscape either.

I'd like a board that i could host myself so i can make changes to it and make it part of the site without ads and also learn how to make it up so i can use it for any other sites i make.

Alo.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Tried UBB before but it needed perl or somethin?! i ferget, anyhew it wasn't supported whatever it was. There only cgi-bin provided on the server.
    That's strange. An awful, awful lot of unix servers will have perl installed. I've never seen a web hosting company offer a unix server package without perl installed as standard.
    nahdoic that link crashes explorer everytime i tried it. Couldn't load it in netscape either.

The link works fine for me, it sends you to a redirect that suits your system the best, for me that was.

http://win.ikonboard.com/?home

Advertisement