Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackout site and splash screen updated...

Options
  • 15-11-2001 4:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

The Blackout website has been fairly extensively reorganised and rewritten. The splash page has been amended to be shorter and more to the point, so if you've already downloaded it, I would be quite chuffed it if you got the newer version.

The PDF document put together so well by Elana's mammy-in-law is now available for download on the site - that can be used as a poster or flyer - and a banner and button are also available. Tomorrow I'll be adding all of the press stuff, plus the surprisingly large number of sites that have committed to going offline on Friday. Note that even if you're going to be carrying a button or banner, I want to hear about it. So be sure to add your URL if you want some free advertising!

If you have a little spare time, please have a look around at the reorganised site, and be sure to PM me if you spot any glaring errors, or even simple mistakes.

http://blackout.irelandoffline.org/

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Thats a good 404 page so it is.

DM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Uh, when I finished the website last night I remembered that the "old" site had a fairly drastically different structure, and that people might get four-oh-four's. So I had a few minutes to spare (ok, I was hopped up on too much Pepsi Max), and got creative...

adam

Just a note on this - the reason corkie was worried about this is that he had an automatic redirect to the IrelandOffline Blackout webpage on his website, as opposed to hosting the page locally. To clarify, although I appreciate any traffic pointing to our server, I would really encourage people to load the page locally, because automatic redirects can be misleading.

Think about this from the users perspective - they type in your URL or follow a link and automatically get pushed to blackout.irelandoffline.org. Yes, the page is self-explanatory, but unless they see your URL in the Location bar, I think they may not understand exactly what's happening. So if you can, I'd appreciate if you downloaded the page and hosted it locally.

Thanks,
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

No problem I downloaded and uploaded to my own site.

The page I had it pointed was the old splash page on your site
    and you deleted or move that. And I wasn't to sure if you had created the 404 page or had been hacked into.

Well I had configure all my pages with a small bit of javascript to
    auto redirect to your site at midnight. So a quick edit and I have
    them pointing at my own page.

But when your page loads the css styles and banner at top from your own site what doesn't it matter if we download the page or not?

So I have edit a small bit and used my own stlye sheet. I will also copy the top image over to server.

Check it out here

P.S. That is a new site (and my older sites will point at that instead of your page]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 12free.co.uk

where is the updated splash screen ? Have you got a zip file with the css aswell ?

Hi Daniel,

You'll find the details here. The stylesheet and header image are sourced from the Blackout website, but if you want to host them locally, that's fine:

Style Sheet

Header Image

adam

Corkie, I sourced the stylesheet and image from the Blackout website for simplicity, so people wouldn't have to edit the HTML. Of course, you're welcome to host them locally if you want. In future, I'll probably package the whole thing as a archive. We live and learn! And hopefully we won't have to do this again. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I changed the banner to fit my own web page better. If anyone wants to see it, see http://www.evertype.com

Originally posted by dahamsta
    ....Tomorrow I'll be adding all of the press stuff, plus the surprisingly large number of sites that have committed to going offline on Friday. Note that even if you're going to be carrying a button or banner, I want to hear about it. So be sure to add your URL if you want some free advertising!

I'd like my URL added... but where do we do that?

• Advertisement

What I'm doing is I've put a small banner on my page today. I'll go totally black tomorrow, and then for the rest of the weekend and maybe Monday my regular page will still sport the small banner.

Advertisement