Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage

• 03-06-2000 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Well,

Burner, DT theatre speakers and SB Live card arrived.

After 2 days and one drunken night of fumbling with my PC i have managed to destroy one crappy Grphx Card.

Thankfully tho I have finally got my PC running again after my initial attempt to install the SB Live 1024 card.

Basically it isn't gettin auto detected after i plug it into the PCI slot.

I removed the cable which connected my speakers to the older Sound card (On Board the Mobo). Then removed the Old sound card stuff in control panel.

Then i reboot .. and instead of finding my new shiny card it reloads the old stuff.

Any ideas?

JAK.

ps- I also disabled Sound in the CMOS .. but it did nothin.

[This message has been edited by Jak (edited 03-06-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Disable old on-board (presumeably) sound card in bios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just install the new card along with the old on board. go to add new hardware. and Have disk. The once installed go to the multi-media properties in Control panal and chose the new installed card. I got it to work before so it should work.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Well its still not finding it unfortunately.

Nor can i get the original sound workin again.

In the meantime i had a go at installing the burner ... but the IDE search isn't pickin it up at all either. Once again i'm open to suggestions. (If i swap the burner for the original DVD drive tho .. all is well)

Cheers

JAK

-God help me when i try to install the Voodoo 5500-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Windows doesnt have to detect it, you can tell it that there is a new device, you know that yea.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Double check the jumpering on your burner, make sure it is correctly set to Master/Slave, not CS. If need be set it to master on it's own chain (ie. no other devices) just to be sure.
    make sure your BIOS is set for autodetect, or CD-ROM if it has the option, for that particualr slot/position (Eg. 2ndary master)

On the LIve, Move it to another slot, clear your CMOS via jumper (Remember to go back in and disable your onboard sounds again).
    Go into Win9x in safe mode and remove any duplicate entries for multimedia/sound.
    Open REGEDIT, HKLM\Enum\PCI\ and have a look for anything mentioning your old soundcard/SB Live. Remove these keys.
    Reboot...

last resort would be to remove PCI Bus from Device Manager/System devices and reboot. This will force windows to re-enumerate all devices (When asked for driver files point to Windows or Windows\System.)

This is all presuming you didnt static zap the card while you were Pi$$ed.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

For the burner:
    Check the jumper settings...
    On a single IDE cable you'll want one device set to master and the other to slave, or you can use cable-select for both devices.
    Or try the burner on your other IDE channel, and see if it's happier there.
    Also boot into your BIOS and see if the BOIS is picking up burner at all.
    See burners' manual for jumper settings.

For the SoundCard
    afaik, the sound hardware should be detected by windows regardless of any other sound hardware on the system.
    This could be a resource conflict...
    Check your device manager (control-panel/system/device manager) for any "Unknown Devices" or "Other Devices", if you have those listings, remove any devices from them, and reboot.
    If it installs them in the same group again, you may have to manualy install them using the "Add new hardware" icon in the control panel.
    Other than that you may have a fux0red PCI slot, so try other slots...
    Then again the card itself could be wànk0rd, see if you can test it in another machine.
    If it's not working in another PC, you should probably return it.

Good luck, may the force be with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Gah, hate when people are posting at the same time as you!
    Anyway, you should have enough to go on by now smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Changing Jumpers fixed the burner problem, cheers lads.

Ill have a go at the SB live tomorrow.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hehehe, i had the same problem and when i finally got it working the modem wouldnt work.
    however, you should be able to disable the onboard soundcard in device manager and then you should have no problems.....

also try changing the slot the card is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

SBLive and Modem/Network Card Probs:
    SBLive installs DOS driver support by default...just happens that a lot of modems/network cards hang on the same IRQ...take out the modem/network card. Reboot. and remove the drivers for it. Install the SBLive. Disable the DOS support in the Multimedia thingummy in the control panel. Reinstall your other card.

[lph]

• Advertisement
Advertisement