Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go get em'

Options
  • 16-11-2001 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Yup, you guys are getting screwed!! I pay $39 a month for all the "Broadband" internet I want 24/7/365. I have a 640k download and 128k upload.

My suggestion to you guys is this. Start your own damn ISP!!

It's easy, it's cheap, and no-one can stop you from doing it!!

Go get em'!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

...wonders where cheap came from. ;) Well, it probably is cheap to start an isp, but that doesn't help anyone paying to dial in to it, and LLU is a joke at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tmaher

Dialing in is not the big deal... at least here in the US... The phone calls are free as long as it's a local number. You just need a local gateway. And a gateway is simple to set up. All you need is to get connected to the backbone with a couple of good servers, set-up a radius server for authentication, and your set. It really IS that easy. We ( me and a friend) had our own AOL like dial-up ISP a few years back. We sold unlimited access for $10 a month. Then, of course broadband came around and it didn't matter how cheap you were, everyone wanted more speed. I can't blame them... I went with another ISP myself lol. You guys can completely eliminate whoever is selling it to you now. All it takes is a couple of tech savvy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

tmaher you know nothing about the situation here.
    it would be impossible to do that here (as of now)

*chernobyl returns to "blacking out"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

You should understand that it's not the ISPs we're unhappy with, but the phone company that owns 99.999% of all the lines, which has barely done any LLU, and who's adsl product was blocked because of overpricing on the reselling of bitstream & their own consumer products. At the monent 1p per minute is the cheapest calls possible to ISPs, and thats only at off peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yeah tmaher thanks for the support and everything, but it is nothing like America over in Ireland. telecommunications are regulated which means that you cant just start up a business at the click of your fingers, and so the companies that are out there now are pretty much our only hopes, its ****, its something weve had to live with forever, but hopefully after today things will start to change. I'm not very hopeful that todays action will achieve much but what I am hoping is that as someone else said it will add to the cumulative demonstrations, and one day the message will be driven home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement