Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We're back.

• 17-11-2001 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

As the topic says, thanks for taking part in yesterday's blackout.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Nice one- and thanks Cloud...

what a classic home page this was ! :

boards-blackout-small.gif

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Thanks ;-)

Preserved for posterity at http://www.boards.ie/blackout.html

John.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Nice blackout page... "Now you're NOT talking" :)
    I was up bright and early at 8am wondering when the boards would be back open, 'bout time (*moan* ^ *moan*)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yes I was also eagerly awaiting the reopening of the boards, I did miss them a lot, I must say. My life was not complete without them, I must say though that I can see the same happening again some time in the future, because I dont think many people took enough note of yesterdays actions.

Baz_

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cloud, that was a cracking front page. Sorry I wasnt about but I was hella busy...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

NP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

I've got my fire retardant underwear on...

Someone tell me what was the point in taking these boards offlline for a day of "protest" ???

All you did was send people elsewhere... people like myself. Did you all not phone anyone on that day either ?

Cop on people. All you did was kill your advertising revenue & lose potential members for a whole day.

OK. Commence flaming.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Are those fighting words!?

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Are those fighting words!?

Can be if you want, but I thought it was totally pointless & possibly the worst protest & form of protest I'd ever seen. You had to log on to read about it for cris' sake. It was futile & pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by ThreadKiller

Can be if you want, but I thought it was totally pointless & possibly the worst protest & form of protest I'd ever seen. You had to log on to read about it for cris' sake. It was futile & pointless.

...and so yet another person misses the point of the blackout entirely!

--

You don't really think we were trying hard to hit eircom where it hurt (in the pocket) do you? You surely don't think that was the only thing on our agenda?

The more realistic and longer-lasting effect was created by the amount of publicity the event generated - and there was quite a lot of that. That was what we were after - and we got it.

The Blackout was a success. Bitching about it a few days AFTER the event itself, as you are, is what is *really* pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The whole point of having info about it online, was so people that were online on Friday(the target audience) could read about it. Anyone that was offline already knew about it - so they didn't go online to read it. yes?:)

Oh p-l-e-a-s-e... What success was it ? I heard about it in an email a couple of days beforehand, then totally forgot about it as I didn't see it advertised anywhere, & as far as I can remember I didn't see any media coverage of it either. It was a pointless exercise that just sent posters & prospective posters elsewhere. And as for the "target audience" being able to read about being offline while online... bit of an oxymoran don't you think ?

If you really want to draw attention to a cause, you have to advertise it properly. This was just an embarassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Read the IOffl forum, then post your problem there if you still think the same way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tbh, I personally wouldn't whole-heartedly have agreed with a total blackout for the day, a few hours at the peak times would have been my preferred option, but it was a good tactic for publicity i will agree and it did work, some more publicity online for a very important and worthwhile cause, which is attempting to address issues that plague everyone online on their own connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    Oh p-l-e-a-s-e... What success was it ? I heard about it in an email a couple of days beforehand, then totally forgot about it as I didn't see it advertised anywhere, & as far as I can remember I didn't see any media coverage of it either. It was a pointless exercise that just sent posters & prospective posters elsewhere. And as for the "target audience" being able to read about being offline while online... bit of an oxymoran don't you think ?

If you really want to draw attention to a cause, you have to advertise it properly. This was just an embarassment.
    first of all, this is all coming from someone called 'thread killer' .... please.

If you didnt hear anything about it, then you must have been living on mars. Ifind it impossible to believe anyone who has anything to do with the internet missed mention of it, considering most of my friends (who wouldnt know a url from a ftp:) ) heard about it thru radio and press and asked me about it.
    Coverage reached not only irish sites like Ireland.com and ENN but international respected sites like Wired (yes, wired) and Need To Know newletter.

In short, the event was an enourmous success simply because it raised a LOT of awareness aof Ireland Offline and its aims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

The Blackout was a good idea, but i heard or saw no media recognition.
    Was there any television coverage? Or was i just radio?
    If so what what stations?

Oh, and when is the next one gonna be? :cool:

Advertisement