Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting usernames from nt server

• 07-06-2000 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

ny know of any wayto get a list of user names from a windows nt server 4 machine ?
    basically, we are moving to a new server, and want to carry our old users with us..
    any1 know a way of just transferring all the names en masse ?

Gav
    (win NT4 -> win2000), nt2000 is a new machine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

hmmmm, set up the win2k box as a BDC. Connect it to the network. Promote it to a PDC and the nt4 box will be demoted to a BDC. The users accounts will be transferred automagically.

Then it's just a case of copying any login scripts from the nt4 box to the win2k box.

AFAIK this is the only method other than creating them from scratch.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wouldnt you have to set up the win2k box as secondry server and replicate first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Win2k, doesn't support BDC's and PDC's as such with it's new fancy schmancy active directory frown.gif As i understand it wanyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, thats that theory out the friggin window. guess i'll have to wait til i go on a course to find out!
    and if anyone does know, put ***spoiler** on it coz i want the thrill of waiting to find out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I had to do this some time ago.

What I did was use Automate4 ( http://www.unisyn.com/ )

Then just set it up to copy the settings of each user to a text file and cut and paste them back on the new machine.

Had to reset the password though. Didn't help setting up the shares again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

found what i beliewve to be the solution
    ( hehe that sounds good )

anyweay, there is a program called addusers.exe that ships with NT resource kit seemingly, this will pull alist of all users on a server into a file, then bring it your new machine, run addusers again and it will add them all. mind u.. i can't imagine that it would bring the password alongs. So, i is now looling for addusers.exe smile.gif
    thx fer the help

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ummm, I presume it will. Microsoft would have to incorperate an easy, "robust" way of doing it. And the method I described is the way it's normally done if you wanted to replace one nt4 box with another.

Did a bit of looking around and found this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win2000/win2ksrv/manuals/srvgs/sgsch03.asp

You can do it the way I described, (and verb is right that it's now called the active directory) but MS recommend upgrading the PDC first, because a win2k box set up as a member server under a nt4 PDC controlled network would have limited (ie nt4's) features.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement