Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie: The Beginning.....

Options
  • 17-11-2001 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

This is for my own knowledge and for any one else who is curious...

Who is/are the founders of Boards.ie ???

What was the very first thread started on Boards.ie ???

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

wow, what a small question for such a lot to answer...

Boards.ie came into being from Cloud Boards which came into being from a bulletin board that Cloud put on Quake.ie back when he was involved with it and that grew out of a list we started on IOL to organise clans games etc.

I think you could probably trace it back further then even that :)

However Boards LTD and the current website came into existance 3 years ago. It was set up by

Tom Murphy (DeVore)
    John Breslin (Cloud)
    Dan King (Regi)
    Gerry Shanahan (Vexorg)
    Sandra O'Casey (Tr1n1ty)

in equal partnership.

Its wholly owned by us and we've no business plan beyond "This should really pay for its ongoing existance sometime in the future".

Any other questions?

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

What a good concise and very informative answer, pld DeV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Thank you Dev.

Next question to test your memory..

The first thread posted on Boards.ie when it began ??

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The first one I can find in the database ordered by date is from Cloud (who else!)

It entitled

"quake.ie - WWWBoard"

" The first of many messages I hope!
    John. "

So there you have it... it WAS the first of over a third of a million messages....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's one of those freakish quotes :). There couldn't have been a better first message - as quoted the boards are now one the biggest and the most innovative websites in the country. How about a huge party when we reach the mil? or half-mil? or maybe every 100,000 posts? :D. What can I say? I'm a student, any reason for a piss-up :D

• Advertisement

How about a huge party when we reach the mil? or half-mil? or maybe every 100,000 posts?

:D
    hehehe...would be sweet!!

Lemme see....
    Oh!

The first registered user aside from yourselves ??

That data has been lost to us (unless cloud has some scary assed backups which wouldnt surprise me hehe).

When we moved to UBB the system set the dates for users to sometime long in the past. VBB set them to Jan 1995 so its one of those...

DeV.

So some users would have been here pre 1995....thats a helluva long time!!

The first Moderator aside from yourselves ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

One of the quake mods I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Whats the record for replies to one thread on boards???

• Advertisement

i think it was nearly a thousand, I think it was a thread entitled "lets make this the longest thread" funnily enough, I think it was on the old trolls board, now the recycle bin, but its about a year old so good luck finding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by FatBastard
    Whats the record for replies to one thread on boards???
    this is the one i think baz_ is talking about. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26801&highlight=longest+thread

it got locked at post 666 and the last reply was from 'jesus'. devine intervention if i ever saw it!

it was indeed that one that i was thinking about, but after a we bit of searching i found an even longer one also locked.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26889 at 937 posts

Advertisement