Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I now know why Xbox is so cheap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

roffle!!! :D
    damn tight gits microsoft :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

lol

n1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Since when is the X-Box cheap though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Microsoft are losing $125 per console.

I think thats cheap in anyones language when that factor is considered.

Regardless, €479 is extremely expensive. Nobody is going to factor in how much Microsoft are losing per console when they're deciding to buy the X-Box next March. They'll see the price tag and run away, not say "Oh well, they should be selling it at €600, so we're getting a good deal".

The X-Box and GameCube are of comparable performance, yet the GameCube is retailing at *far* less than the X-Box and still Nintendo are reportedly making only a $20 loss per console, so by your logic, is the X-Box cheaper? I think not.

All consoles are sold at a loss, and as time goes by the X-Box will become a lot cheaper to produce, thus narrowing the losses made.

• Advertisement

Actually the GC is no where near the performance of the Xbox and im quoting from dozens of developers who where interviewed on "Spiel O Maine" TV channel.
    [who are currently developing on both]

And £380/479 Euros is exactly what i paid for the PS2 and Xbox is a much stronger machine in every sense.

GC has everything to prove ....to me anyway.

I've spoken to various technically minded journalists, and they're disagree that there's much a gap in the performance of the X-Box and GameCube. Both systems are designed completely differently, and both require different techniques to get top performance. Its like comparing apples with oranges.

The X-Box has the edge in some places, but loses out in some significant areas, the GameCube, for example, is streets ahead when it comes to memory bandwidth etc.

The GameCube was designed to be developer friendly, enabling developers to get impressive results from the word go - take a look at those Resident Evil screenies, and remember that the game was only been in development for a very short time.

And £380/479 Euros is exactly what i paid for the PS2 and Xbox is a much stronger machine in every sense.
    The PS2 had some decent launch games, and shipped as a DVD player too. Are you going to spend another €50 for the DVD remote? Because you won't be watching DVDs on it otherwise. The X-Box may be more powerful than the PS2, but developers have yet to produce much worth playing for the X-Box. Tech-wise, the X-Box is the stronger machine. Games-wise? Not bloody likely :)
    GC has everything to prove ....to me anyway.
    The GameCube had a lot to prove to me too. It pretty much did that at E3, SpaceWorld and the TGS though. Not only did Nintendo show off jaw-dropping shots of their own key franchises, but they've managed to get many well-respected 3rd party developers on board as well - so a repeat of the N64's software drought is unlikely, to say the least.

The X-Box? What has it proved? So far its been all talk and no trousers. They claim it can push so many polygons per second but it just isn't happening. From what I've heard, the launch line-up is dismal. A journalist I asked described Halo as "Red Faction meets Unreal", hardly the genre defying killer app we were promised. Dead or Alive Three is apparantly nothing more than a port of DOA2, Jet Set Radio Future is "jerky and boring" and my favourite: "Munch's Odyssee is made out of actual pants". The only game that has impressed me so far is Project Gotham Racing.

Compare that to the games out for the GameCube. Luigi's Manson. Wave Race. Super Monkey Ball. Rogue Leader. All four are worthy of a place in anybody's collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Jet Set Radio Future is "jerky and boring"

While I agree totally with the rest of what you said, this is total lies :)

(Munch's Oddysee is one of the Worst Games Ever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gintyc

Nekkid you don’t know what you’re talking about, do you? Have you seen the Xbox working?

I would love to know who are the "technically minded journalists" and are they just "technically minded journalists" or are they technically minded games journalists?

The bottom line is your are talking a load of bollox

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    The PS2 had some decent launch games, and shipped as a DVD player too.

Really...can you name some good games the PS2 had cus i missed them (an i bought all the PS2 launch games)

As for DVD player....you must be kidding me.. i have a DVD player which makes PS2 look like an 8kbit stream over a 28.8k connection (slightly exaggerated)..lol

Xbox has some great games @ launch..im not an FPS guy but halo has strategy elements which i like and PGR is right up my alley.

ultimatley i think if you want the complete gamer experience you will have to have all 3 consoles but this time next year a winner should emerge.??

• Advertisement

the GameCube, for example, is streets ahead when it comes to memory bandwidth.

wrong...

you should really check out the spec comparisons here and if you go to any console gamer site you will see that Xbox has the hardware edge everywhere.

and its common knowledge that the Xbox has twice the memory bandwidth of the GC [both are mega figures though]

Xbox=6.4GB/sec
    GC=3.2GB/sec

From a respected site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Maybe Xmas 2002 will be different (but of course Sony will be saying PS3 will be out in 2003 so wait, etc.,), but this Xmas in the US at least GC is $100 cheaper and has far different games aka Luigi's Mansion, etc., compared to both PS2 and XBox. Nintendo very much have their own target market that even Sony can't reach.

Now, Xbox may very well be able to beat every other console black and blue with polygons, etc., but the fact is, games like Tony Hawk's 3, Gran Turismo 3, Wipeout Fusion, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Final Fantasy X are all *only* available on PS2 this christmas (Ok, maybe not FF-X, that's January I think), so compared to, eh, Halo? I don't think for this year at least you can do much better than a PS2.

That GF3 in front of you is *so* needed for today's games isn't it? But PC upgrades are separate - people want a console that lasts and doesn't doesn't **** around.

Now, Dead or Alive 3 may look nice, but the very fact of having to install it when I play it (yes, it needs to full install before you can play) is a big off-putter. I don't believe nonsense on the HD being better as you don't need to buy memory carts - I rather my save games in my hand if/when the crashes start and you need to uninstall some games to play more. Those games are pretty big, and the HD is 8 or 10GB depending on the model you end up with (Seagate or Western Digital drives).

That and the reports of a DoA3 bug that screws up collision detection when energy levels are low, Halo looking nice but it's still not in any where of the league of the PS2 christmas titles, like it or not, XBox is a waste of money this year anyway.

N64 was better than PSX by far, but by then PSX had such a killer game collection (including FF-VII, MGS again also), it had to stick with the leftovers of the market.

Plus, Sony have a 20 million unit headstart.

Still, it's the first time in years that I remember anyway there being 3 large corporations, 3 consoles and if you have the cash it's only a good thing. MS are competing on an even playing field for the first time in 15 years at least. Lets see if they deserve their priveleged PC-sector position.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1: Can you Overclock it? :D

2: Can you throw in your own hard drive? Say a 60GB UDMA100 IBM? Surely the chipset supports it?

Seems as though there's no fan on the P3...justa big heatsink.
    It uses nVidia's nForce chipset doesn't it?
    => Crossbar Mem Architecture - which sounds quite, am, efficient :)

Hope to christ it's not a GeForce2 MX gfx in it though....

Only DDR PC1600 though .. .. ..sloooooow ;)

P3 Cu 133FSB (prolly a tuatulin Ghz ?)

If Microsoft have any foresight they'll allow people to swap out IDE drives and tweak the system a bit. But then you hear cries of consolers wondering why they're machine blue screened.....and 'stability' comes into play...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I have two words for all of you guys talking about screenies and how games look pre-release:
    "tribes 2"

RedMoose: Nice post, and indeed Sony's headstart will be hugely significant in determing who comes out on top. Not many people are going to go and buy and X-Box or a GameCube if they have a Playstation 2 under their telly. Sony have swallowed up much of the market simply by getting their product out there before their competitors.

gintyc: I haven't seen the X-Box working with my own eyes. I have, however, downloaded countless movies of X-Box games in action. I have also seen movies of GameCube games in action, and have played countless PS2 games. The X-Box does not stand out *at all* as far as I'm concerned.

The technically minded journalists are indeed games journalists. The journalist in question has editted numerous websites, gaming, hardware and otherwise. If you want the name, you can PM me, I'd rather not give name-drop too much.

Chernobyl:
    Really...can you name some good games the PS2 had cus i missed them (an i bought all the PS2 launch games)
    I love hearing this. It really shows off the ignorance of people. Lets see... we have Red Faction, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Burnout, Grand Theft Auto 3, Ico, Devil May Cry, Tony Hawks 2 - all of which will be released over here before the X-Box.

It will take some time for the X-Box to amass a line-up to rival those games.

Now, onto DVD playback. No, the PS2 doesn't set the world alight when it comes to playing DVDs. It is, however, more than watchable. Its certainly better than VHS.

What about the X-Box's DVD capabilities? It hardly sets the world alight either - no better than a bog standard PC. And, again, if you're going to pay £50 for the privilage of watching them, why not send another £100 and get a stand-alone with far superior quality?

Stats-wise, I was wrong. So are you. The X-Box does not have the hardware edge everywhere. My main point also still stands, its generally accepted the GameCube is easier to develop for.

As for developers saying that the GC does not compare to the X-Box... they wouldn't happen to be based in Seattle would they? :)
    Both Tiburon (John Madden Football) and Neversoft (Spiderman, Tony Hawks series) agree that the GameCube versions of their games look superior.

And yes, you will need to buy all three to play the best games. All three will be host to some must-have games and undoubtedly over time, they will all prove to be value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

I've spoken to various technically minded journalists, and they're disagree that there's much a gap in the performance of the X-Box and GameCube. Both systems are designed completely differently, and both require different techniques to get top performance. Its like comparing apples with oranges.

The X-Box has the edge in some places, but loses out in some significant areas, the GameCube, for example, is streets ahead when it comes to memory bandwidth etc.

The GameCube was designed to be developer friendly, enabling developers to get impressive results from the word go - take a look at those Resident Evil screenies, and remember that the game was only been in development for a very short time.

The PS2 had some decent launch games, and shipped as a DVD player too. Are you going to spend another €50 for the DVD remote? Because you won't be watching DVDs on it otherwise. The X-Box may be more powerful than the PS2, but developers have yet to produce much worth playing for the X-Box. Tech-wise, the X-Box is the stronger machine. Games-wise? Not bloody likely :)

The GameCube had a lot to prove to me too. It pretty much did that at E3, SpaceWorld and the TGS though. Not only did Nintendo show off jaw-dropping shots of their own key franchises, but they've managed to get many well-respected 3rd party developers on board as well - so a repeat of the N64's software drought is unlikely, to say the least.

The X-Box? What has it proved? So far its been all talk and no trousers. They claim it can push so many polygons per second but it just isn't happening. From what I've heard, the launch line-up is dismal. A journalist I asked described Halo as "Red Faction meets Unreal", hardly the genre defying killer app we were promised. Dead or Alive Three is apparantly nothing more than a port of DOA2, Jet Set Radio Future is "jerky and boring" and my favourite: "Munch's Odyssee is made out of actual pants". The only game that has impressed me so far is Project Gotham Racing.

Compare that to the games out for the GameCube. Luigi's Manson. Wave Race. Super Monkey Ball. Rogue Leader. All four are worthy of a place in anybody's collection.

omfg its the son of shinji :-)
    nakey for mod!

i dont see why all of you are arguing about which console is better. sit back, relax, wait 6 months after release then buy one. until then stick to your dreamcasts.

I love hearing this. It really shows off the ignorance of people.

I was talking about launch games and so were you...what games that you listed launched with the console?

The PS2 had some decent launch games

Originally posted by chernobyl

DOA2, FantaVision, Midnight Club, Ridge Racer V, Silent Scope, Smuggler's Run, SSX, Tekken Tag Tournament, TimeSplitters.

And lets remember, the X-Box isn't competing with the PS2's launch titles, its competing with 2nd and 3rd generation titles from the word go.

The question was "what games that you had listed....launched" but i dont wanna start a biatch match.

The only game of quality was Tag Team..one..and it was just a rehash.

Nekkid you said...
    "A journalist I asked described Halo as "Red Faction meets Unreal", hardly the genre defying killer app we were promised."

Did the "journalist" say (or even mean) Halo did not look impressive? Because you make it sound like he did!

Why dont you tell us what you know and not what other people have told you?

Have you seen the Halo video?

Will you please stop your load of bollox, the PS2 is brilent, and some of the games are also brilent. But the XBox will be better, , and the game will be just as good (better, in ways) as games on the PS2.

As for the GameCube fine if all you want to play is Resident Evil or if you'er a child, the GameCube has load of games for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by gintyc
    As for the GameCube fine if all you want to play is Resident Evil or if you'er a child, the GameCube has load of games for you!

em.. mario64... yoshi cookie ... diddy kong racing...
    yeh kids games suck.
    now smfb.

Nakey, you're wrong on a few points here to be fair. The XBox has the best launch line-up of any console in the last while, for my money - GameCube is astonishingly strong also, but MS have pulled some pretty damn good rabbits out of the hat for Xbox launch. I'm somewhat more concerned about what they have down the line; PS2 launched with poo titles but the promise of GT3 (disappointing imo) and MGS2 (utterly rocks, been playing it all evening) down the line. Xbox has some nice launch titles but no must-have games down the line, yet...

That being said, if this "gintyc" bloke would possibly stop being so damned offensive-sounding for five minutes it'd be a good start.
    Did the "journalist" say (or even mean) Halo did not look impressive? Because you make it sound like he did!

I know the journo that Brendan is talking about personally, and your quotes sure as hell aren't necessary kiddo. It's not me by the way, it's a chap who works on one of the biggest consumer sites in Europe. Although Brendan has mostly presented the negative aspects of his Xbox coverage, for the most part it's a hell of a lot more balanced than the utter drivel you spouted in your last post here.

I note that you run a site of your own - I take it you presume that spewing forth poorly informed, opinionated nonsense is a good way to cultivate an audience for that site?

Here's a thing for you - I'll say right now that Halo doesn't look impressive. It doesn't play shockingly well, based on my experience of it (although once I get my hands on a final copy of it I'll present a more in-depth review); the Red Faction comparison is very fair indeed. Graphically, it's nowhere near as good-looking as the original videos made out; it's somewhere between Red Faction and Tribes 2, and is absolutely knocked about the place by Unreal 2.

Yes, I have played all of the above. Not movies, which are apparently your only source... But yet apparently you're enough of an expert to be able to tell us right here and now that the Xbox is going to be better than the PS2, and that GameCube is purely for kids and Resi fans. Right.

Heh, and people wonder why so few PR companies are prepared to even consider dealing with fan websites, never mind treating them like real publications? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

And god have mercy on us if they do. I tell you what, PlayerOfGames, a totally non commerical "fansite" tries its best to be as un-professional and fansitey as possible - but we just can't do it! Them darn PR companies are all over us. What do we say in response - "please stop fVcking sending us stuff, we're so goddamn professional, we know. If you send us stuff we can't help ourselves, we feel obligied to give those free games to our dedicated group of reviews, such as Mills, Nakey, Greenhell, Qball and others, but it takes so much effort out of us! You bastards, we can't get jobs anymore, we are failing our exams, even executive CTW editors are showing an interest. <Shakes Fist> If only you'd leave us alone and just treat us like the scummy fansite we are!"

Of course, if you are this professional and this dedicated, we'd love to hear from you as we've so many free games to give away its hurting us inside.

well sorry for sounding so damned offensive-sounding. i dont mean to. and i dont want to or mean to sound one sided.

I am not saying that the xbox will be better then the ps2. but it has the potential to be. In the end it’s all about the games, and as you said the xbox has some good games. but not to die for games. the PS2 has better games. if any body asked my what to buy the PS2 or wait for the Xbox, i would currently be more inclined to say the ps2. it looks to be that you are looking for words to twist.

Ha Ha Ha, you must be joking? Movie are NOT my only source!
    As for calling us a fans site, we are not, but currently we are maybe just a little under buget.

I really should not of posted on this thread it turned in to the boring old PS2 Vs Xbox debate, which I do not want to continue.

Thank you POG!

It appears that MS is actually not selling the console at a loss in Europe and is selling the console for $122 dollars more here.

MS have a Xbox production plant in Europe ( i think mainland ) so why the hugely inflated cost?

I think i will import one for christmas.

This is notting got to do with where any of the users work... but the best trade mag is MCV

lol :)

I'm hurt to the core! No, really!

(Of course it is - it's the only one they'll send you for free after all. And you definitely get what you pay for!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gintyc, do you by any chance send letters to the Gamezone mailbag on Aertel1 pg 320ish?

I only ask because from what I've read so far you are equally as small mided as those little ill-informed twerps the propogate that page.

Mupp.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Shinji
    lol :)

I'm hurt to the core! No, really!

(Of course it is - it's the only one they'll send you for free after all. And you definitely get what you pay for!)

You wrong there...

"MCV is free to all UK retailers. But, due to our recent move towards extra distribution via the business press racks of leading news agents. It is now impossible to provide a free copy to everyone who contacts us. Qualification criteria is available upon request.

MCV publishes every Friday, 50 times a year. International subscriptions are sent via airmail for prompt arrival.

UK £99
    Europe £150
    Rest of world £250"

[FCA]SyxPak "gintyc, do you by any chance send letters to the Gamezone mailbag on Aertel1 pg 320ish?

I only ask because from what I've read so far you are equally as small mided as those little ill-informed twerps the propogate that page. "

No i do not! and in what way am I ill-informed?

Advertisement