Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland joins Internet2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

7 lines!! WOW Imagine that running into your personal hub at home!!!!:) Surely more people now will realise what the internet can do and how fast it can go. It's a good sign, 'cos the Colleges are always first with the new technology crap. Correct me is I'm wrong anyone, but UCD afaik had internet access years before the commercial internet emerged, which is normally the same in other areas of Science too. So maybe we'll all have direct access to a 100-line fibre backbone in the future. No? Ah well I can always dream...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

That's 7 STM-1 lines - over 1Gbps. I wonder where those lines will be terminated though?

I also read last week that the new INEX facility in Data Electronics is to be lit up on the 22nd. This should be good news for Irish users as they were talking about upgrading to gigabit ethernet when they moved.

And now for my gripe of the day... :) Eircom co-lo hosting: £400pm plus bandwidth charges. There's two types of bandwidth charges - usage based or fixed. The minimum price for usage based is £24,000 pa. That's £28,800 for one server in eircom.... how the hell can anyone afford that.

The usage charge above is equivalent to 331GB pm. A Cobalt RaQ from www.rackshack.net costs $99 pm and gives you 300GB....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by seamus
    ...Correct me is I'm wrong anyone, but UCD afaik had internet access years before the commercial internet emerged...(

HEAnet has been in existence since 1983. Have a look at http://www.heanet.ie/Heanet/history.html to get more info.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

The seven 155 megabit STM-1 lines

/me drools himself to death

7 fibre connections... thats unthinkable. Thats... just *head explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

lol @ rymus

I know how you feel, but you've just got to calm down, or change colleges...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Better make use of that capacity while I'm still in college then.
    Only after mopping the drool from around my jaw before leaving the house though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

I know how you feel, but you've just got to calm down, or change colleges...

The biggest link into any college at the moment is 55Mb (ITNet), so your only going to get full advantage of it if you head into the HEA NOC. UCD and DCU have 20Mb connections, TCD has 30Mb and DIT has 34Mb.

Advertisement